Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 05:39 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
He was making the point that you're a hypocrite and a purveyor of the "I got mine" mentality that pervades Republican politics.

I became an attorney and started paying a great deal in taxes while you were still in school. So, in a way, I was bankrolling you when you were just a leech. Nobody polled me about whether I cared that you needed "food stamps as a starving college student." But for the record, I don't mind paying more in taxes when they go primarily to those less fortunate. A lot of other people think like me, which is why welfare programs still exist for people like you.

So you got those food stamps, you made it through the dark times with taxpayer handouts, and now you're a successful attorney. Congratulations. Now that you've crossed the bridge, you want to burn it for anyone else who might want to follow in your footsteps. That makes you a bad person, and you deserve to be called out for it.
So every person who votes republican and uses a social service in their life time is a bad person? That’s rich, this exact kind of mentality is what pushed me away from democrats to begin with. If you stray from the pact with one republican idea you immediately get excommunicated from being a liberal.

Just because I voted republican doesn’t mean I’m trying to burn a bridge behind me. Republicans are not calling for the entire dismantling of the welfare state, this is a liberal myth. If they did, they would never be electable again as many of their constituents are poor whites who rely on these services. What republicans are advocating for are meaningful reforms that social services go to people who need them most and not to the mooches that abuse the system. For a so called attorney you seemed be remarkably misinformed of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:44 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
I don't mind paying more in taxes when they go primarily to those less fortunate. A lot of other people think like me, .
So as an attorney, do you provide more than 50 hours of pro bono legal services per year ?

I am not saying this to be mean, just curious, that is all.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
So every person who votes republican and uses a social service in their life time is a bad person? That’s rich, this exact kind of mentality is what pushed me away from democrats to begin with. If you stray from the pact with one republican idea you immediately get excommunicated from being a liberal.

Just because I voted republican doesn’t mean I’m trying to burn a bridge behind me. Republicans are not calling for the entire dismantling of the welfare state, this is a liberal myth. If they did, they would never be electable again as many of their constituents are poor whites who rely on these services. What republicans are advocating for are meaningful reforms that social services go to people who need them most and not to the mooches that abuse the system. For a so called attorney you seemed be remarkably misinformed of politics.
Agreed. As to your previous reply that you'll be paying out plenty t/o your career, I raise my glass to you - you get it. Both sides of the same coin. A concept lost on too many.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Don't vote for Republicans; it only encourages them!

Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You voted for the party that passed a $1.3 trillion spending bill in March.

Bro, you really showed them!
You're voting as to whether we are Switzerland or Sweden. I personally would vote for the latter, but since you are libertarian I'm guessing you would prefer the former.

But you will never get it, because like most libertarians you demand all or nothing, which means you end up getting nothing.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:54 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
I was one of those typical college liberals voting for social justice the past few elections. I finally joined the workforce and cry every time the government takes a grand from each pay check. I can only imagine how worse it’ll get if dems are in power. Never ever voting dem again.

Good job OP.

They say that everyone starts off as a Liberal but that ends when they realize that the Dems are not actually working for them or the night they are mugged.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
I have compassion for other people and I am very socially liberal but when it comes down to it, we live in a dog eat dog world and seeing my paycheck go to other people hurts me when I’m just trying to survive myself.
What percentage of your taxes goes to other people?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Yes it is. All taxation is theft.

There is no amount of taxation that is necessary, as there is no legitimate function of government.

I'm very sympathetic to a lot of Libertarian principles....

But the above sentiment is one of the reasons why Libertarianism will never get off the ground.

Legit functions of government include such things as national defense and border enforcement.

I'd throw in some degree of infrastructure that would be difficult for the individual states to manage on their own.

Not much else though.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:03 PM

482 posts, read 242,617 times
Didn't vote.

I've never really noticed the difference outside of local politics.
Just being honest......

Old 11-06-2018, 06:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
On January 20, 2009, when Obama was sworn in, the debt was $10.626 trillion. On January 20, 2017, when he left, it was $19.947 trillion.

Obama doubled it...added $10 trillion
Funny how you didn't mention the guy before him doubling it too and running the economy into a ditch.

Let me guess....you're fine with Trump's trillion dollar annual deficits by 2020 as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies