Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
People not getting a flu vaccine and other vaccines, are the main reason so many people get sick during flu season, and, worst of all, people who refuse vaccines are the primary culprits to babies who contract diseases and viruses and ultimately die. I read a story on a baby who received whooping cough that was ultimately fatal, all because some adult was not up to date on their vaccines. Very irresponsible in this day and age to not receive a basic and cheap vaccine.
So the strong arm of government should step in and REQUIRE this common sense item for everyone....right?

I don't think so.

Some of the postings on here are from people who never got sick from the flu, then got the shot, and then got very sick. I will error on the side of freedom here.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Ironic how anti-vaccine people also want universal healthcare... if the standard of universal healthcare requires people to get vaccinated, what are they going to do?
I think most anti vaccine people do not want universal health care.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Even though your mom was against it, I'm hoping the hospital or clinic she worked at required her to receive one regardless? If not, it's probably illegal for her employer to not enforce that.
Yes, got them because she was required too. As a contractor on a military base for several years I had to get all kinds of shots, for things you never heard of. Strange thing though we weren’t required to get a flu shot but were required to get the shot for H1N1.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Ironic how anti-vaccine people also want universal healthcare... if the standard of universal healthcare requires people to get vaccinated, what are they going to do?
Standard does not mean mandatory.

You've never disagreed with anything about your own healthcare? Gotten a second opinion? Tried an alternative option? Went for the second-line drug with fewer side effects?

Or are you an automaton that just does what doctor says, no thinking involved?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
So the strong arm of government should step in and REQUIRE this common sense item for everyone....right?

I don't think so.

Some of the postings on here are from people who never got sick from the flu, then got the shot, and then got very sick. I will error on the side of freedom here.
When it concerns public health safety? The government is not making you get a shot, you're only hurting others by not getting a shot.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:37 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm not a doctor or researcher. But I believe in Science. If that offends you, so be it.

Those chicken periods they make the flu shots from COULD have become sentient beings i.e. Chickens.
Also not a scientist, but I do know that egg laying chickens don't provide any useful lessons for humans that don't understand that using "potential" or any of its derivatives to describe a developing child is a purposeful denial of known facts.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
It was the only time being sick has made me want to be able to pass out or crawl out of my own body so I could get away from it. The only other times I felt that way were my first round of natural childbirth and having a ruptured ovarian cyst that I can only imagine is what getting stabbed repeatedly feels like.

If Norovirus is what the flu feels like for other people, it's no wonder they get the vaccine.
It's not. I really wish we (meaning society "we") could get rid of this insane idea that "flu" is diarrhea/vomiting. That would get rid of a lot of this nonsense about "I got a flu shot and then I got the flu". I remember reading an article several years ago that said that many cases of "flu" at the holidays are actually food poisoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I got a flu shot a few years ago just one time. I got the flu that year. I'd never been so sick and haven't hardly been sick since. No more flu shots, and Im 65. Same thing happened to my son who lives with us and my wife we all get very ill, and were incapacitated for several days.
None of that happened from the flu shot. "After" does not mean "because". You got something else. Part of the problem is that lots of people go to get the flu shot when there's an outbreak of flu, and they've already been exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I never remember them pushing the flu shot so much when I was growing up. I also agree...who the heck knows what's really in those shots. I also agree that their effectiveness is questionable.

I don't like Bill Maher, but every now again he nails it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrLCIoxe8Y
If you're so concerned, you can look it up! It's not some mysterious conspiracy. Here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...nt-table-2.pdf
Bill Maher is an idiot when it comes to vaccines; he has no health care background, probably hasn't taken a science course since high school and then just the minimum required. Why would you listen to him?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well you got the vaccine so it works? You are perfectly protected, no need to worry about everybody else. Oh, wait. It doesn't work ... so brain scrambles ... uh uh uh .. well, big fallback argument ... people die. Um, no other people are stupid because they don;t want it. Um, wait. Wait was my provaccine argument again? Ohh YES let me quote CDC guestimates of something or other. Goalposts move every time a pro flu vaccine-er tries to make sense of the conflicting and ridiculous stats.

How about: No need to worry about other people's RIGHT to make choices that don't concern you. Eyes on your own paper.

PS. What source shows that there were a confirmed 80,000 deaths? That's right. CONFIRMED. I'll wait. Even if that 80,000 number were correct (it's not, btw, even the CDC admits that the number is just a guess), it was 0.0002% of the total population. Live in fear. Good gawd.

What would people do if they couldn't live in terrifying fear all the live long day? And get mad when others rely on common sense instead of fear? Oh, they post in C-D that the sky is falling if people don't get the flu vaccine.

PPS. My friend got the flu shot and wound up hospitalized from GBS.
Oh, come on! Very tired of your sneering, superior attitude. No one has ever said that the flu vaccine, or any vaccine, works perfectly! However, the more people that get it, the more are protected and the less the flu can circulate. Get it?

Quote:
Why is this political all of a sudden?

Are you a conservative who refuss to accept data supporting climate change and the big bang and evolution and the fact that the Earth is not 6,000 years old???
"All of a sudden"? Antivaxism is as old as vaccines. People made jokes about turning into cows after Jenner invented the smallpox vaccine using cowpox virus. That was in 1798. (Not a typo) The poster you were responding to was talking about people being anti-science and cherry picking studies. You're the one trying to make it a liberal v conservative thing. Antivaxism spans the political spectrum.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:55 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's not. I really wish we (meaning society "we") could get rid of this insane idea that "flu" is diarrhea/vomiting. That would get rid of a lot of this nonsense about "I got a flu shot and then I got the flu". I remember reading an article several years ago that said that many cases of "flu" at the holidays are actually food poisoning.

None of that happened from the flu shot. "After" does not mean "because". You got something else. Part of the problem is that lots of people go to get the flu shot when there's an outbreak of flu, and they've already been exposed.

If you're so concerned, you can look it up! It's not some mysterious conspiracy. Here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...nt-table-2.pdf
Bill Maher is an idiot when it comes to vaccines; he has no health care background, probably hasn't taken a science course since high school and then just the minimum required. Why would you listen to him?
My mother was always catching the "flu". This went on for several years and it never clicked for me until she went to assisted living and I cleaned out her refrigerator and pantry and was throwing away so much expired food. Salad dressing, vegetables, whatever. Some of the dressings were years out of date.

Not "flu" but food poisoning.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, come on! Very tired of your sneering, superior attitude. No one has ever said that the flu vaccine, or any vaccine, works perfectly! However, the more people that get it, the more are protected and the less the flu can circulate. Get it?
Which would be true if it was proven to be 100% effective.

Its not even close. Yet you continue to beat your fear-mongering drum about how EVERYONE needs the vaccine. No. You do not control others actions as much as you stamp your feet and yell on this board. Seriously, how many provaccine threads have you started? How many times have you demanded others go get the vaccine, no thinking necessary, just GO NOW!!! IT'S AVAILABLE NOW!!!! insert 57 links to who knows where to support it, because well, you will die if you don't get it.

So yes, I "get it." It's not worth it. It does. not. work. Decision is not even a head scratcher, just a resounding: Not Worth It.

When it's 100% effective? Let me know. Maybe we can talk then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies