Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that I-1’s base is being controlled by conservative media?
Yes 58 55.77%
No 43 41.35%
Other 3 2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump was elected to lead the entire nation, not just the minority that voted for him.
He's doing a super job, isn't he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
He was about to let it go, short term anyway, until Fox and Friends called him out. A TV show runs the country.
Exactly my point. America is being governed by a news program.

This should disturb everyone. I get confirmation bias, and I agree to a point, but come on. Rational heads should prevail.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:42 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I think he should make decisions based on what’s best for the entire country. As it is right now, he’s making decisions based on what Coulter, Hannity, etc want. He’s even actively hurting people he thinks didn’t vote for him (government employees). [No cost-of-living raise; holding us hostage.]

That’s not OK.

He's 'hurting people' equally as much as Chuck and Nancy are. Either side could compromise.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM

17,670 posts, read 6,923,260 times
This poll is the dictionary definition of projection. Hilarious!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,600,070 times
considering I watch CNN to see the fake news propaganda first hand, I have to vote no.

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
When it comes to the Wall, the closest referendum the American people had was the 2016 election. The 2018 midterms was a bunch of local elections where the Wall was not really on the forefront of most (if not all) of those elections.

But by all means the House congressmen and women can do what they feel is in the best interest of their constituents.

So you now have a government shutdown. Who should fold? Should there be a compromise? In the meantime, it's your country that is suffering because both sides are not compromising properly.

But, I'm on Trump's side on this one. 2016 meant the wall should be his priority. It's pretty clear it was that issue that won him that election against all other missteps. So he'd be amiss to turn his back on his base and not push for it. But he should have done it earlier.
The closest thing we had to a referendum in 2016 is the popular vote--which Donald Trump lost.

It does not matter to me whose side you are on. My country is not suffering from a lack of a wall.

My country is suffering because the so-called president cannot make a decision and stick to it, does not care a fig about those who are, in fact, suffering due to the shut down and is ignorant as a brick. Have a garage sale, work for rent? What kind of disgusting government tells their workers to do that?

Last edited by Enigma777; 01-13-2019 at 12:57 PM..

956 posts, read 1,208,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yes. Most Trump supporters are not capable of independent thinking. They believe whatever Trump and Fox News tells them to think.

They literally think that anybody who disagrees with Trump or Fox News is lying.

Indeed. It's been like that since after Nixon and into Reagan when right wingers start to scream "liberal media" this gave them a scapegoat excuse when facts go against them.

Right wingers really believe they are right and they have the "facts" on their side - cause they put themselves in their own alternative reality bubble.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't care what he promised a small minority of the country. He wants us to pay for it. It is not democratic to govern for a minority and punish the majority. Why don't you guys just volunteer to pay extra taxes if you want the wall? We are not paying for a medieval solution to a modern problem.

He's having a tantrum and that's about it. Trump does not care about a wall. Even his associates have admitted that.

You don't know if he's punishing the majority or not. You know he's punishing the majority of the people who happen to vote for President in November of 2016, but that's not the same thing as even punishing the majority of registered voters, as over 44% of registered voters didn't vote for President in the 2016 election. You don't know how that specific 44+% felt. Additionally, all registered voters = a smaller set than all people eligible to vote. One person commented that the election is the one true poll.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The closest thing we had to a referendum in 2016 is the popular vote--which Donald Trump lost.
Your elections work based on the popular in each state, then those states won are added by weight of their population. He won that. Hence he won the 2016 election.

Quote:
My country is suffering because the so-called president cannot make a decision and stick to it, does not care a fig about those who are, in fact, suffering due to the shut down and is ignorant as brick. Have a garage sale, work for rent? What kind of disgusting government tells their workers to do that?
The shut down is also due to congress not giving the president a budget he is comfortable signing off on. The constitution does give Trump the power to veto, for a reason. He's exercising his power.

But he's exercising his power to appease his base which is what he should be doing. Like it not, Trump not listening to his base would be wrong. It would just be another president who promises one thing to get into office and then ignores his constituents.

So good for Trump here. I think he should have pushed for this way before now however. Tax reform was never a key campaign promise of his.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:59 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Exactly. I-1 has no backbone, and he doesn’t stand for anything.
He stands for enough that you fear and hate him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies