Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If you spout nonsense you're probably an idiot.

The truth is the truth brother.

Who runs Hollywood? C'mon - latimes
A list of major American movie companies (past and present) that have Jewish founding fathers. This list includes the corporate predecessors of the companies and those predecessors occasionally got merged with other companies. For example, while Goldwyn was not a a founder of MGM other than in name, he founded Goldwyn Pictures which was 1 of the 3 companies merged to form MGM. Some of these c

A. 5 of the 6 major Hollywood studios had founders who were Jewish. I am including movie/theater company:
Columbia/Sony Pictures: Joe Brandt (7/20/1882-2/22/1939) and the Cohn brothers: Harry (7/23/1891-2/27/1958) and Jack (10/27/1889-12/8/1956; both were Russo-German).
-20th Century Fox: Joseph Schenck (12/25/1878-10/22/1961; Russian), Darryl Zanuck (9/5/02-12/22/1979), William Fox (1/1/1879-5/8/1952; Hungarian).

-Paramount: Charles (7/15/1856–5/7/1915) and Daniel Frohman (8/22/1851–12/26/1940), Jessie L. Lasky (10/13/1880-1/13/1958; American), William W. Hodkinson (8/16/1881-6/2/1971), and Adolph Zukor (1/7/1873-6/10/1976; Austro-Hungarian). Though not a founder, there was a third Frohman brother named Gustave (c.1854 –8/16/1930; all were American). Gustave was performed in blackface.

-Universal: Charles O. Baumann (1/20/1874-7/18/1931; Polish), Pierre E.J. Brulatour (4/7/1870-10/26/1946), Robert H. Cochrane (1877/78-6/1/78), Mark M. Dintenfass (4/17/1872-11/23/1933), David Horsley (3/11/1873 -2/23/1933), Adam Kessel (1866-1946), Carl Laemmle, Sr. (1/17/1867–9/24/1939; German), Patrick Anthony Powers (10/8/1870-7/30/1948), and William Swanson.

Warner Brothers: Albert (7/23/1884-11/26/1967), Harry (12/12/1881-7/25/1958), Jack (8/2/1892-9/9/1978), and Sam (8/10/1887-10/5/1927) were Polish-Russian.

B. Historically major but not as active today as the the above 5:
-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer: Sam Goldwyn (8/17/79-1/31/1974; Russian Polish), Louis B. Mayer (7/12/1884-10/29/1957; Belorussian-Canadian), and Marcus Loew (5/7/1870-9/5/1927; German-Polish).

-Radio Keith Orpheum Pictures: David Sarnoff (2/27/1891-12/12/1971; Belarusian) and Joseph Kennedy,
Sr. (9/6/1888-11/18/1969; JFK's dad), Benjamin Franklin Keith (1/26/1846-3/26/1914), Edward Franklin Albee (10/8/1857–3/11/1930), and Martin Beck (7/31/1868-11/16/1940; Slovak).

-United Artists: Charlie Chaplin (4/16/1889-12/25/1977), D.W. Griffith (1/22/1875–7/23/1948), Douglas Fairbanks (5/23/1883-12/12/1939; German), and Mary Pickford (4/8/1892–5/29/1979).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 07:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It has been helpful to me.

If it is not helpful to you, you may leave the discussion.
That list has really been helpful to you? LOL!!!!!!!

Okay....

Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It has been helpful to me.

If it is not helpful to you, you may leave the discussion.

I enjoyed the list and also found it helpful. I have in the long ago past been guilty of #10. I was raised in a small village where you were either Baptist or Methodist (who were discouraged from inter-faith marriage) , and "jew" was just a word that meant to "bargain excessively". Once I managed to escape, I realized how insulting that was. Lesson learned about 50+ years ago.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 02-08-2019 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That list has really been helpful to you? LOL!!!!!!!

Okay....
He doesn't mean the list was helpful. He meant the ensuing debate, which revealed just how extensive antisemitism is in this country, was an eye-opener. Other than a few posts, the thread was full of negative stereotypes, quotes from infamous antisemites advancing Jew hatred, and demeaning comments from bigots.

It's too bad that so many are resentful of Jewish values, largely emphasizing education and marriage before children, that has led to their success - as shown by a dispropionate representation among doctors, lawyers, scientists, and Nobel Prize winners, to name a few.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
He doesn't mean the list was helpful. He meant the ensuing debate, which revealed just how extensive antisemitism is in this country, was an eye-opener. Other than a few posts, the thread was full of negative stereotypes, quotes from infamous antisemites advancing Jew hatred, and demeaning comments from bigots.

It's too bad that so many are resentful of Jewish values, largely emphasizing education and marriage before children, that has led to their success - as shown by a dispropionate representation among doctors, lawyers, scientists, and Nobel Prize winners, to name a few.
Thanks. You have better reading comprehension skills than others.

I will add that the list was helpful also, as a self-check. Not as a way to go after others and start calling people names, as I have been accused of doing.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Rachel, I live in a community that is 50% Jewish. This list wouldn't have been helpful at all to me even when I only knew one Jewish person. We can have debates and discussions, but handing over a list isn't helpful, regardless of what 'ism' we're talking about.

The majority do see Jewish values as something to aspire to. People use Jewish families as examples of how to raise successful children all the time - both here in this forum and in the real world. I've never seen / heard anyone express any sentiment to suggest they were resentful of Jewish values. It's their commitment to family and stressing the importance of good grades and a good education that has resulted in so many Jewish children growing up to become successful professionals.

At the same time, there is this commitment to Israel with Jews in America that we don't get. And it results in an ugly response when anyone says anything even slightly negative about Israel. No other group expects so much in the way of loyalty and praise for another country. Not Italians, Irish, Germans, Poles, etc. NOBODY. As a result, the word 'antisemitic' is overused in order to control the narrative whenever someone questions anything Israel.

That's another reason people are pushing back in this thread.

Some will attack me for my honesty, and I won't be surprised when they do.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Rachel, I live in a community that is 50% Jewish. This list wouldn't have been helpful at all to me even when I only knew one Jewish person. We can have debates and discussions, but handing over a list isn't helpful, regardless of what 'ism' we're talking about.

The majority do see Jewish values as something to aspire to. People use Jewish families as examples of how to raise successful children all the time - both here in this forum and in the real world. I've never seen / heard anyone express any sentiment to suggest they were resentful of Jewish values. It's their commitment to family and stressing the importance of good grades and a good education that has resulted in so many Jewish children growing up to become successful professionals.

At the same time, there is this commitment to Israel with Jews in America that we don't get. And it results in an ugly response when anyone says anything even slightly negative about Israel. No other group expects so much in the way of loyalty and praise for another country. Not Italians, Irish, Germans, Poles, etc. NOBODY. As a result, the word 'antisemitic' is overused in order to control the narrative whenever someone questions anything Israel.

Yours is actually a reasonable and respectfully articulated post. I'd like to reply to it with the thought it deserves, but I'm on the way out to a long afternoon meeting. Please check back after 5 pm est if you are able.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yours is actually a reasonable and respectfully articulated post. I'd like to reply to it with the thought it deserves, but I'm on the way out to a long afternoon meeting. Please check back after 5 pm est if you are able.
I'll check in, Rachel.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:

Many Americans who may be neither Jewish nor evangelical Christian support the Israeli state. Whatever our reasons (and here I include myself), the associated complexities may work to increase our awareness of Palestinian questions leading to criticism of specific Israeli policies.

Israel planted in the middle of a potentially hostile population undeniably may destabilize an already troubled region. Not surprising there is a spillover effect. For example, we were directly impacted by 911 - nothing dramatic but still the race to daycare with smoke in the background and a deeply upset child. This is not to any way "blame" Israel for the actions of terrorists. That would be a gross oversimplification that would deny the historical reality of the founding of Israel and no doubt become line #11 on the Antisemitism list.

American support is important to Israel. We see this in Israeli courting of American public opinion with outreach not only to the Jewish community but to other religious communities and the public at large. To ask for that support but then label debate over associated issues (that include the Palestinian question) as anti-semitic strikes me as problematic.

For some reason, I see that response much more from American Jews than I recall ever encountering among Israelis. They knew what they were doing and why they were there with problems more serious than dissent from an odd American. As long the dollars kept flowing etc., then pffft it was but mere talk. That tolerance for debate was one of the characteristics that I came to prize. Many Israelis themselves struggle with the impact of orthodoxy on their culture with no need to then overlay anti-semitism.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:

Those values aren't exclusively Jewish. You'll find them in many communities.

I concur with your comment about the issue of support for Israel, at least in America - that there really isn't that much open debate regarding critiques of the country, it's tilted in an AIPAC-tinged position. Heck, you find more open debate about these issues in Israel proper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies