Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
12. An unwillingness to take the list seriously equates to "disdain for Jews", "is quite telling", and requires one to up their shooting range time.

Thus proving the point some of us are trying to make.
Jewish history shows that this kind of lists turns very fast into a mob with axes. But thanks to 2A I will take with me some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Jewish history shows that this kind of lists turns very fast into a mob with axes. But thanks to 2A I will take with me some of them.
It's sad, and somewhat ironic, that the well-meaning OP ended up attracting posters who are quoting hateful anti-Jewish sentiment from some virulent anti-Semites. Next thing you know, they'll start quoting Farrakhan.

Oye.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's sad, and somewhat ironic, that the well-meaning OP ended up attracting posters who are quoting hateful anti-Jewish sentiment from some virulent anti-Semites.
The OP wasn't well-meaning. He started a thread to call people names by strawmanning them, and throwing out red-herrings and ad hominems.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I read the posts, and I think I'm going to add another hour to my weekly range training, and instead of carrying 3 magazines I will carry 4.
Carry ten mags and practice 24 hours a day at the range. No one cares.

The bigger likelihood is you shooting yourself.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
12. An unwillingness to take the list seriously equates to "disdain for Jews", "is quite telling", and requires one to up their shooting range time.

Thus proving the point some of us are trying to make.
All I can do with that list is mock it.

Basically, it’s an attempt to shut us all down and cow us into never speaking out about Israel no matter what they do.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:28 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's sad, and somewhat ironic, that the well-meaning OP ended up attracting posters who are quoting hateful anti-Jewish sentiment from some virulent anti-Semites. Next thing you know, they'll start quoting Farrakhan.

Oye.
Jewish tradition long has prized debate. It's one of the strengths of the culture shown in both torah-debate and the rise the Jewish rabbinate during the Middle Ages. Never have I felt judged when (thinking of specific settings) by Chabad Lubavitchers here in the United States nor Israelis overseas even though conversations might be outside the bounds of what the American mainstream might consider "polite."

That's one of the great strengths of Judaism. There can be no intellectual tradition or real learning if dissent is not permitted with some negative label attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In regards to #1 the vast majority of American Jews are very loyal to and committed to Israel. For example Chuck Schumer supports Israel's right to have a wall and to restrict immigration to protect its Jewish nature but refuses to allow us Americans to do the same for our own country. Most American Jews use their financial and political clout to support Israel's interests within the US and Jewish activism is centered upon Israel.
That a situation may not appear fair or culturally parallel probably shouldn't be the standard on which to base world politics. What exists today is an odd pairing of the history of centuries with present day realities.

Jewish history is of a people who kept themselves apart with arguably a net positive result for humanity. It made possible the transmission of scientific knowledge and concepts integral to Christianity and to Islam. For that self-imposed isolation they have at times paid a terrible price.

Conversely, that centuries-long practice does lead to modern-day tensions that to no surprise many object (for example, Palestinians). There is no inherent obligation that any other culture accept the dictates of another. The result is conflict.

BOTH are realities. To take those then impose them onto the US political situation becomes a mishmash leading to no functional result.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-07-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-07-2019, 09:30 AM

13,606 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
(((This appears to be translated from another language and it is not edited very well, but it showed up in my newsfeed and sparked a lively discussion. I don't understand #3, though--anyone care to weigh in on the Rothschild thing? Thanks in advance.)))

1) If you think the words “Israel,” “Zionists,” and “Jews” are interchangeable, you may be antisemitic.

2) If you think that a Jewish conspiracy controls the media/international finance/politics/lobbies, you are antisemitic. There is no conspiracy, end of argument.

3) If you use the term “Rothschild” to involve “Jews,” you are an antisemite. And congratulations by the way for the exact use of the same phrases that the Nazis and those who incited tsarist pogroms.

4) If your only defense is “Jews are not a race, so I’m not racist” or “Jews are not the only Semites, so I’m not an antisemite,” then you’re probably an antisemite.

5) If you think/demand that the Jews should condemn Israel with every word, tweets, and comments, you are an antisemite (see point 1).

6) Supporting the legitimate Palestinian desire for self-determination to enforce human rights and having its own state, and condemning the policies of the Israeli government does not in itself make someone an antisemite (but see points 1-5).

7) If you talk about Palestine whenever we talk about crimes against Jews/Antisemitism/Holocaust, you’re most certainly an antisemite.

8) If you use violence instilled in Palestine by the Israeli government as an excuse to turn away from conversations about antisemitism and violence suffered by Jews, you are not just an antisemite, but you are instrumentalising Palestine and the Palestinian suffering, of which you really do not care.

9) If you think that any Jewish person, or even any Israeli Jew, is guilty of the crimes of the State of Israel and human rights violations, you are an antisemite and also very likely a hypocrite living in a country who has committed many crimes and human rights violations against colonised countries and you do not expect to be held responsible for the violence and oppression of your own country. Watch your consistency.

10) If you use word "Jew" as an adjective or a verb (like "Jew money" or "He Jewed me down twenty dollars."), you might be an antisemite.
All of this is true, and actually seems to go without saying. However, I wish you would have put more emphasis on #6 and not qualified it, because many people seem to think that blind support for the state of Israel is required to avoid being labeled as anti-semitic.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Jewish tradition long has prized debate. It's one of the strengths of the culture shown in both torah-debate and the rise the Jewish rabbinate during the Middle Ages. Never have I felt judged when (thinking of specific settings) by Chabad Lubavitchers here in the United States nor Israelis overseas even though conversations might be outside the bounds of what the American mainstream might consider "polite."

That's one of the great strengths of Judaism. There can be no intellectual tradition or real learning if dissent is not permitted with some negative label attached.

That a situation may not appear fair or culturally parallel probably shouldn't be the standard on which to base world politics. What exists today is an odd pairing of the history of centuries with present day realities.

Jewish history is of a people who kept themselves apart with arguably a net positive result for humanity. It made possible the transmission of scientific knowledge and concepts integral to Christianity and to Islam. For that self-imposed isolation they have at times paid a terrible price.

Conversely, that centuries-long practice does lead to modern-day tensions that to no surprise many object (for example, Palestinians). There is no inherent obligation that any other culture accept the dictates of another. The result is conflict.

BOTH are realities. To take those then impose them onto the US political situation becomes a mishmash leading to no functional result.
Wow! That’s an astonishingly good post. You obviously did well in English class.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
You might be anti semite after watching this video, or have disdain, or not, or whatever, who cares?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ldT3YL2Kw

Old 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The OP wasn't well-meaning. He started a thread to call people names by strawmanning them, and throwing out red-herrings and ad hominems.
You seem to think that you're an expert at analyzing people's motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies