Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think you should set aside your devotion to Rose for just a moment and re-think his comments on Deuteronomy. Whatever his intentions were, he said it mentions Christians, and even went so far as to say that "most Christians" don't know this. It does not, and there's no getting around that. I had to replay that segment three or four times to be sure I had heard what I thought I heard. Whatever point he was trying to make at that moment, he didn't do a very good job. I agree that "pack mentality," or tribalism is a component of human nature, but for him to so blatantly misquote scripture only muddied the waters. He could have come up with any number of better (not to mention real) examples of tribalism among Christians.

I do not, FWIW, think it was his intention to promote antisemitism in the video. I do, however, think that some of the blanket statements he makes about what Jews are "good at" have been used in the past to do great harm. A stereotype is a stereotype, even a flattering one. This kind of touches on what silverkris said in an earlier post, about the stereotyping of Asians Americans. Most of the stereotypes about Asians are "good" - they're smart, they work hard, they're all "tiger moms" who make their kids study 10 hours a day and learn the violin when they're three - but they can be (and have been) used in destructive ways.

Rachel, I did not intend to deter you from watching, as it's really my opinion that everyone should draw their own conclusions. My perception was mine; yours may be quite different. Ultimately, Rose's beef isn't with any religious, ethnic, or racial group - it's with the state. Any state. Nevertheless, my own reaction was that if his point was to address antisemitism, he didn't do a very good job. YMMV.
Catgirl, you hit on the underlying antisemitism that is running throughout this thread. It is also the reason I won't watch the video, since your telling me that he said Jews "are good with money" is enough. All prejudice is based on stereotypes - and that one is the biggie when it comes to Jews.

Recess' underlying message - that "financial literacy" is a pre-eminent value of Jews - IS BASED ON A FALSITY. (I won't be addressing him directly anymore, since he said my thinking mirrors those of Nazis.) That premise, perhaps couched as a backhanded compliment as "being good with money", was and is, as you point out, used to advance jealousy and resentment against Jews - and to horrific consequences in WWII Germany. Without even realizing it, Recess' resentment toward the Jews is showing up as promoting this "valuing financial literacy" nonsense, and he thinks he's above it all because he's putting it in what he thinks is a positive phrase.

Why not say, for example, that Jews gravitate toward medicine (we are doctors out of proportion to our numbers) because Jewish values emphasize the sanctity of life and the importance of helping others? Or why not say that Jews are awarded the Noble Prize (again, out of proportion to our numbers)because Jewish values lead to efforts and accomplishments that in turn lead to Nobel prize awards? Why not say that Jews are good at a lot of things, since our values emphasize hard work and education, and thus we are successful in whatever our endeavors?

Claiming that Jews have as a primary value an education for "financial literacy" is the polite way of advancing the stereotype that they are greedy people who are all about money - and that they are all rich, and in control of the banking system. (That's the Rothschild's conspiracy theory, used by anti-Semites for 200 years.) Most Jews live middle-class lives, in families with HHI under $100,000, and worry about the money to pay the unexpected car repair bill, same as everyone else.

And for those who are interested in what Jews really value, don't look up videos that confirm prejudicial thinking about Jews and money. Go to real Jewish sites and see what we value. Read up on what is considered "mitzvot". Read about what the sins we atone for during Yom Kippur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 05:42 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Uh huh. If one were to start a thread on here and ask a question about it, I guarantee that thread would be shut down fast. If one went on social media and asked a question about it, their account would be suspended. And again, people in some countries go to prison for it - but if you question anything else, no one bats an eye, so don't even try this nonsense of 'of course it's okay to have questions' because you know damn good and well that isn't the truth.
What do you think will happen if your question will be "did black slavery ever exist in USA"?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
A stereotype is a stereotype, even a flattering one. This kind of touches on what silverkris said in an earlier post, about the stereotyping of Asians Americans. Most of the stereotypes about Asians are "good" - they're smart, they work hard, they're all "tiger moms" who make their kids study 10 hours a day and learn the violin when they're three - but they can be (and have been) used in destructive ways.
"Calling Swedes good-looking is anti-Swedish." - Catgirl64, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
All prejudice is based on stereotypes - and "being good with money", was and is, used to advance jealousy and resentment against Jews.
As much as we like to rant about "Judeo-Christian values", are Jewish values actually the same as Christian values? Is Judaism exactly the same as Christianity?

Again, why were Jews the only ones allowed to be usurers during the Middle-Ages? Why does the term Goyim exist?

Differences in belief will produce differences in outcome. Jews do not believe in heaven for god's sake. And what does it even mean to be "God's chosen people"?

Jews are not genetically-identical to everyone else either. All the evidence points to Jews having a much higher-than-average IQ. Whatever IQ is, doesn't it have real-world implications when it comes to temperament and behavior?

Quote:
Why not say, for example, that Jews gravitate toward medicine (we are doctors out of proportion to our numbers) because Jewish values emphasize the sanctity of life and the importance of helping others?
"Don't stereotype Jews unless it is a stereotype I approve of." - Rachel976, 2019

"Making stereotypes about Jewish values is anti-semitic. But trust me, Jewish values are great, and Jews are highly successful because of their superior values." - Rachel976, 2019

Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
"Calling Swedes good-looking is anti-Swedish." - Catgirl64, 2019

As much as we like to rant about "Judeo-Christian values", are Jewish values actually the same as Christian values? Is Judaism exactly the same as Christianity?

Again, why were Jews the only ones allowed to be usurers during the Middle-Ages? Why does the term Goyim exist?

Differences in belief will produce differences in outcome. Jews do not believe in heaven for god's sake. And what does it even mean to be "God's chosen people"?

Jews are not genetically-identical to everyone else either. All the evidence points to Jews having a much higher-than-average IQ. Whatever IQ is, doesn't it have real-world implications when it comes to temperament and behavior?

"Don't stereotype Jews unless it is a stereotype I approve of." - Rachel976, 2019

"Making stereotypes about Jewish values is anti-semitic. But trust me, Jewish values are great, and Jews are highly successful because of their superior values." - Rachel976, 2019
The above is quoting me to things I didn't say.....

Also he's full of all sorts of false statements, interpreted from an anti-Semitic viewpoint.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
What do you think will happen if your question will be "did black slavery ever exist in USA"?
What I wonder is, would an overtly racist thread be allowed to stand? What if people took awful stereotypes about blacks and said something like, "blacks value working at a slow pace - and that leads to higher unemployment"?

Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
The above is quoting me to things I didn't say.....

Also he's full of all sorts of false statements, interpreted from an anti-Semitic viewpoint.
I was paraphrasing you. Did I not do a good job? Why not?

Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I was paraphrasing you. Did I not do a good job? Why not?
Quotation marks and attribution format are for direct quotes, not for paraphrasing.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Quotation marks and attribution format are for direct quotes, not for paraphrasing.
I would agree.

I was trying to make a point, and I highly-doubt anyone thought I was actually quoting her verbatim. I was being facetious to illustrate inconsistencies and hypocrisy.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't care what you think. The very fact that there's only one event in history that no one is allowed to question, ever, says all I need to know.

We can talk about and debate and question every single thing else in the entire history of the world, except one.

If you think someone having questions about it makes them anti-semite, knock yourself out and feel all your little warm fuzzies inside. I question anyone who tells me I can't question things or aspects of any event.
I read your exchange with another poster here, and I've been thinking for days about whether or not to comment on it. I don't really want to, but it's like an itch that won't go away.

I ask you in absolute good faith - I hope you already know that - what is it that you wish to question, and are you doing so because you really harbor doubts, or are you doing it solely because you've been told to believe you should not?

Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
I should have remained defeated after my initial white flag.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies