Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:55 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I want you to answer the question: What would you be doing differently right now? To focus on you, not what you believe others are saying.

Okay. You've started. The bold. No information on the adequacy of current procedures but to advocate for better if you think them insufficient is a positive. And they may well insufficient, for there is understaffing with a now enormous workload. That's fair.

The underlined statement. This goes to what is not quite as clear. Let me be direct. Are you saying?:

Because the checking to ensure that the adults with the child are indeed their parents may be insufficient we need to ensure that - what group? who? - do not continue on a journey - to where?

Are you advocating for a return to the practice of separating all (?) children from their parents once they cross the border, for obviously the US has no authority in Mexico? To separate them in some new detention facility or not allow them to leave Customs - ICE facility with their alleged-parents in the event that some unknown number might be trafficked?

----
Here, I went back to my original post (and questions). We seem to still be at those first questions, with my certainly agreeing with what you were saying but not clear if you wanted some action based on that concern:

There are two issues:
1. THIS IS OP's concern: How to ensure that those children who were separated are returned to the rightful parents. Record-keeping was sloppy. There are reports that the numbers separated are higher than first reported.

2. THIS IS YOUR concern: How to ensure that children who continue to arrive at the border are with their parents not a trafficker. Whatever I may think of how Trump has handled matters, there are good-faith efforts by CBP-ICE to monitor this with a system in place. Certainly, it needs to be done.

It's not clear what you are advocating. What would you do differently? No one has ever alleged there are "no questions asked."
Does it really matter what I would do? It's not like anyone in the government is going to listen to me and have an "aha!" moment. So, why keep picking at this?

BTW, I have mentioned doing DNA tests, which just may be getting done now.

Look, all I know is that there is a serious problem with children being trafficked across the border.

And, yes, it concerns me. As a mother, I wouldn't want to see my child in that situation.

Now, seriously, what more do you want from me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Again, liberals think illegals should get preferential treatment over citizens, including the right to take their children to jail with them.
Are you saying asylum seekers are breaking the law? Because they're not. The U.S. has laws addressing those seeking asylum.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sounds like a good insensitive to not break the law.
Asylum seekers aren't law breakers.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Does it really matter what I would do? It's not like anyone in the government is going to listen to me and have an "aha!" moment. So, why keep picking at this?

BTW, I have mentioned doing DNA tests, which just may be getting done now.

Look, all I know is that there is a serious problem with children being trafficked across the border.

And, yes, it concerns me. As a mother, I wouldn't want to see my child in that situation.

Now, seriously, what more do you want from me?
Actually my original response was:
"I understand the words but I've not noticed the posts. Curious, I'd be interested in links. This isn't some sort of challenge and if the time isn't worth it ... no worries."

But, yes, I too am a mother. The mother of a child who was separated from her birth parents at an early age. The trauma can be severe. I never want to see children separated from parents for political advantage. Or even to act as a deterrent to future asylum applications.

Again, we agree on the trafficking concern.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
They are when crossing the border illegally.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They are when crossing the border illegally.
And not actually seeking asylum, but asylum shopping looking for a free ride. This has been going on for 30 or 40 years now.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Those who enter the country illegally are.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Are you an immigration lawyer?

Because I can find nothing to support your claim.

You can still apply for asylum even if you passed through Mexico from your home country.

You don't have to apply for asylum to the first country you hit.

Not that I can find....but will wait your legal expertise on this matter.
In the US you don't apply for asylum, you can claim asylum if you are a legally registered refugee. You cannot be registered as a legal refugee within the borders of the US. You could try at a PoE and be held pending clearance to enter, if you wish to do this legally.

Further under UN Treaty, a refugee/asylee must abide by the laws of the country they enter or risk extradition. By definition someone entering the US illegally has failed to meet the UN treaty requirements, thus has predisqualified themselves to legal asylum (although they may receive it anyway at the discretion of the country, but there is no obligation).

Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I can’t believe that a president would want to separate children from their parents, but the worst thing is, trump had no plans to reunite families and it’s extremely sad! Will some of these young kids and babies ever see their families again?
I was under the impression this president wanted nothing more than for these parents to take their children home with them and stop sending their children to the border in the company of coyotes. I cant believe so many parents would have so little regard for the safety and well being of their own children as to put them in such an unsafe situation.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was under the impression this president wanted nothing more than for these parents to take their children home with them and stop sending their children to the border in the company of coyotes. I cant believe so many parents would have so little regard for the safety and well being of their own children as to put them in such an unsafe situation.
It's the other way around. While there could be some trafficked children within the caravans, they formed to avoid having to pay the cartel fees. This they could accomplish by banding together for safety. It's also why the Mexican government's provided some assistance in the form of buses and shelters - to protect them from the cartels and other dangers.

The previous pattern had been for mainly single men to cross the border - which is not easily accomplished - often by paying coyote fees. That money was not easy to come by for them. Ironically, that the journey is now potentially free (no fees for multiple family members) and arguably safer is what encouraged more families to come with their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies