Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It’s often easier to blame than take personal responsibility.
Well, in this case it's true that the government has been lying to the public for decades in a way that makes them fatter and less healthy. The high-carb diet promoted by the feds makes people fatter and less healthy than the alternatives. Do you really want to blame them for trusting the government? I don't trust the government, but I used to, and most people still do. It's not their fault.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 02-18-2019 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
obesity laws and 20% of your salary.

No need for obesity laws.

Those who CHOOSE to not take personal responsibility for their waist size simply pay more, a lot more for insurance regardless if it’s public or private.

Those who can’t afford to pay more and not take personal responsibility, are SOL.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If there is "medicare for all", as a physician, I will have to quit practicing, as my practice would go bankrupt. I could simply do legal work, which I do already, and still be employed in a capacity as a physician, but not practicing clinically. Currently I can make more money working two weekends a month doing legal work than I can full time at my practice.

As I am approaching medicare age, I am conflicted about medicare. I know that physicians and hospitals put medicare patients "behind" commercial insurance; I have a few medical problems for which I want to be "first in line" and will thus never go on medicare. With better paying commercial insurance, I am assured of getting better treatment.

The problem with the commercial insurance is that I am uninsureable, due to previous conditions, such that I cannot buy a commercial policy on my own and must be employed by a larger group.

I think some form of universal healthcare would be nice for patients, but I personally would want private insurance as well to get better care.
Do you mean that when you turn 65 you will not be able to buy a commercial plan due to preexisting conditions?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Well, in this case it's true that the government has been lying to the public for decades in a way that makes them fatter and less healthy. The high-carb diet promoted by the feds makes people fatter and less healthy than the alternatives. Do you really want to blame them for trusting the government?
Oh come on now.

Calories in vs out is the key to weight loss.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Do you mean that when you turn 65 you will not be able to buy a commercial plan due to preexisting conditions?
That is correct- nor a commercial plan individually at this time.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Oh come on now.

Calories in vs out is the key to weight loss.
What you eat affects the "calories out" part of the equation.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,926 times
Not obesity laws..

You tax the company that produces the unhealthy food much harder.

We know sugar is bad for you.. Tax it more, so people buy less of it.

Sugar and fat together a BIG NO NO!
So McDonalds would have to pay more.. they would have to increase prices, which would mean less people buy their products.

Just like tobacco.. Higher price, less smoking.

Alchohol.. Higher price, less drinking

In a country where the State is taking care of your health.. they should also regulate and tax items that are provenly bad for your health.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
In terms of fighting obesity, new drug lorcaserin could allow the condition to be finally treated with a safe prescription drug, along wth increased exercise and a better diet. Surgery and gastric bands are also an option for the morbidly obese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

A weight-loss pill has been hailed as a potential “holy grail” in the fight against obesity after a major study showed it did not increase the risk of serious heart problems. Researchers say lorcaserin is the first weight-loss drug to be deemed safe for heart health with long-term use.

Taken twice a day, the drug is an appetite suppressant which works by stimulating brain chemicals to induce a feeling of fullness.A US study saw 12,000 people who were either obese or overweight given the pills or a placebo – with those who took the drug shedding an average of 4kg (9lbs) in 40 months.

Further analysis showed no big differences in tests for heart valve damage.Tam Fry, of Britain’s National Obesity Forum, said the drug is potentially the “holy grail” of weight-loss medicine.“I think it is the thing everybody has been looking for,” he said.

Weight-loss pill hailed as 'holy grail' in fight against obesity | The Guardian

Weight-loss drug lorcaserin found to be safe in new study - BBC News

As for the post earlier on regarding the UK NHS, you can compare NHS figures and other western countries in relation to cancer in the lins below.

Cancer survival rates | The Nuffield Trust

Cancer mortality rates | The Nuffield Trust

Obesity - NHS

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-19-2019 at 05:05 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 04:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
In his prime, Mike Tyson was considered obese. While there is a problem with too many people being overweight, the terms are not interchangeable.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
It would not require obesity laws. No Western country with universal health care has obesity laws. In fact, it's not clear if obese people cost the taxpayer more money. We all die - the fit, the strong and the fat and weak. Unless we die suddenly (like in a massive heart attack or stroke - something obese people are more likely to die from) we will draw a out a lot of money in health care in our waning months. All that happens to obese people is they die sooner, it might even save money in the long run. I'm not sure if a proper study has ever been done.

But if this is to be done, maybe add an extra tax on junk food (sodas, starchy chips, candies) that are used to help fund the universal health care program while simultaneously discouraging the eating of junk food.

Last edited by NomadicDrifter; 02-19-2019 at 05:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies