Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 AM

89,043 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
i can guarantee most of those people have no idea what it would cost
That is my understanding regarding the Medicare for All proponents. They just want free stuff, paid for by others.

The Urban Institute (left-wing think tank) has analyzed the extra cost to the Fed Gov for Medicare for All (in addition to what the Fed Gov already spends on health care) at $3.2 trillion/year ($32 trillion over 10 years). How will that be funded? Total federal tax revenue is currently $3.4 trillion/year. So where does that extra $3.2 trillion/year to fund Medicare for All come from?

Tax income over $10 million at 70%, as AOC suggests? Only 16,000 1040 filers earn over $10 million. Tax experts consulted by the Washington Post say that a 70% tax on income over $10 million could theoretically bring in an additional $72 billion per year in taxes.

Oops! We'd still be short $3.128 trillion/year to pay for Medicare for All. Now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
i can guarantee most of those people i have no idea what it would cost
I doubt it will be more than I pay right now. We pay an outrageous amount of profit for those who make money off of healthcare and for those who can't pay for it. More than most other countries. America's like a profit playground for Pharma. It can't get any worse, I'll take my chances.

I can pretty much tell how much money an American makes by how happy they are with Obamacare. Happy, (A) $50,000 or less a year. So-so, (B) between 50 and 80. Not happy, (C) 80,000 to 150,000 a year. Anything above that can afford to pay cash.

A two income household that makes 110,000 a year with say a few kids pay 3000 a month on average, a 5000 dollar deductible, and still pays for labs and some medication costs. Some may pay a slightly lesser price if they get work insurance but that's on the rise because companies are paying more now, so they will take it from their workers somehow. The only people happy with the current system are those in group A above. The rest are not happy.

I have nothing to lose, might as well give it a try. I believe that's where most of America is at, at this time. I take my chances.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:57 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is my understanding regarding the Medicare for All proponents. They just want free stuff, paid for by others.

The Urban Institute (left-wing think tank) has analyzed the extra cost to the Fed Gov for Medicare for All (in addition to what the Fed Gov already spends on health care) at $3.2 trillion/year ($32 trillion over 10 years). How will that be funded? Total federal tax revenue is currently $3.4 trillion/year. So where does that extra $3.2 trillion/year to fund Medicare for All come from?

Tax income over $10 million at 70%, as AOC suggests? Only 16,000 1040 filers earn over $10 million. Tax experts consulted by the Washington Post say that a 70% tax on income over $10 million could theoretically bring in an additional $72 billion per year in taxes.

Oops! We'd still be short $3.128 trillion/year to pay for Medicare for All. Now what?
People under the fifty thousand annual mark already get free stuff paid by others. Those "others" can't afford it. OB care stole from the middle class to pay for the poor. They should have stolen from the rich, but they made a mistake. Now the middle class can't afford healthcare. I believe this is what helped propel the numbers for a non-profit single payer. We have no choice but to regulate it now that it's out of control.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM

19,648 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

What others? Middle class? We already pay and have no real safety net. Ever have to buy COBRA? There's a joke.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
More fake death panels stuff.
More anecdotes of problems in foreign countries who have demonstrably better median results.

We already have death panels.
The BOD of every health insurer is one.
The BOD of every company that makes insulin and keeps jacking the rates is one
The BOD of every company that manages to secure an exclusive on a past patent medicine is one.
etc etc

Don't worry the US is a corporatocracy, and congress is bought. We will continue to pay more for getting less.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM

89,043 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
People under the fifty thousand annual mark already get free stuff paid by others. Those "others" can't afford it. OB care stole from the middle class to pay for the poor. They should have stolen from the rich, but they made a mistake. Now the middle class can't afford healthcare. I believe this is what helped propel the numbers for a non-profit single payer. We have no choice but to regulate it now that it's out of control.
That doesn't answer the question. Where is the extra $3.2 trillion/year it will cost to fund Medicare for All going to come from? AOC's suggestion to tax income over $10 million at 70% will only bring in an additional $72 billion per year in tax revenue.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Many democrats are calling for Medicare for all. When a fifth circuit judge from Texas can declare Obamacare unconstitutional, do we dare to scrap laws that are beyond review for a new law that may be challenged relentlessly. I favor a law that piggy backs on Medicare which allows a buy in to Medicare by those who cannot find jobs between 55 and 65 and those who are 55, working, but uninsured.

Medicare for all will not be viable until we have a Democratic majority in the Senate for at least a generation. We are the only nation among Western Nations without national health insurance.
You are correct. There will be no Medicare for all because Republicans won't vote for it. Those Democrats who are promoting it - haven't told us how it's going to pass.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM

19,648 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Free stuff is for really low income unless a bunch of kids. 30-50K are considered middle class and PAY taxes, PAY for insurance they cannot afford to use, even before Obamacare.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Or we could examine our food supply and cost of vegetables due to reduction in production to accommodate corn grown for filler, fuel, and sugar.

We could change what we subsidize in the farm bill to push production and cost of fresh vegetables and fruits instead of soy bean and corn.

We could examine the impact of removing physical education in school and exercise or national fitness rates.

We could increase access to nutritionist and dietitians, currently most do not see someone for their diet until diagnosed with a disease such as diabetes or heart failure.

We could do a lot of things, but we choose to do nothing, stay sedentary, and complain that no one is getting off their big butts.

Leaky roofs don't fix themselves, neither will a national health emergency.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...e-obesity-laws

39% of American adults are obese according to the CDC, while only 3% of Japanese are obese.

They could likely have "Medicare for All" but healthcare rationing would be a reality, physicians and nurses would have to take massive paycuts to the point it would be a volunteer position almost with a small stipend and obesity rates would have to go way down with massive amounts of food policing that most processed food manufacturing companies would not agree to.

Another reason why Medicare for all won't work is because the American diet is toxic. I went out to eat for the first time in a very long time and I have to say I could feel the difference after what I typical make for my meals.

Democrats Medicare for All will bankrupt the country if they implement it without policies to police the American food supply to get the obesity rates down to Japan or South Korea levels.

Most Americans, including myself would not want food police dictating what we can and can not eat.

Medicare for All would also require massive amounts of health-care rationing which a vast majority of American's would not approve.

Doctors, nurses and surgeons would have to have massive pay cuts also which would never happen. Doctors in Hungary only make about 700 dollars a month.

Nurses, doctors and surgeons would have to nearly volunteer their skills with paychecks a fraction of what they make now if the Democrats successfully implemented "Medicare for All"

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

https://mic.com/articles/84521/japan...ica#.WcHsLqsOc
There was a time back when mechanical transportation was crowding the horse and buggy market that the public was warned that the human body could not survive speeds over 35 miles per hour. Fear tactics will not stop the inevitable.

The Washington Examiner, BTW, is on par with the National Enquirer as a news source - a tabloid always good for a laugh, but never to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies