Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 PM

293 posts, read 121,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
How'd that work out with attacks against Chick fil a? Backfired majorly, and the business continues to grow tremendously. And it will backfire here. But, if it makes you feel better, by all means.

By the way, you have "your" truth. I may agree with your truth, but that is my belief.
Why are you talking about the business?

I'm talking about the ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 12:24 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
How'd that work out with attacks against Chick fil a? Backfired majorly, and the business continues to grow tremendously. And it will backfire here. But, if it makes you feel better, by all means.

By the way, you have "your" truth. I may agree with your truth, but that is my belief.

I wouldn't equate a fast food choice with spending time in a church and strenuously believing everything that the church teaches. Most people don't really care about boycott and just eat what is convenient and cheap. I'm as anti-religion as they come and it took a while to wean myself off of eating CFA. I have not attended or donated to the church since the mid-80s. The CFA was a sorry spectacle and a totally "up yours, I'm superior" to fagggs. They probably would have lynched some at the individual stores if they could in this day and age.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:25 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Isn't one of the reason that Catholic churches are closing is because of all the money they are paying out to cover the cost of lawsuits due to misconduct by their priest.
yes and that is the reason churches are closing plus less priests and nuns entering the church

Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's attitudes like this that are hastening the demise of the Catholic Church. The younger generations don't share your archaic views of gays and have abandoned the Church in droves because of how backwards it is.

But you keep sticking to your beliefs and support an institution that demonizes people for being the way God made them. You can feel good about that bigotry as you watch your Church sink into well-deserved oblivion.

You clearly can't read. As I stated to the other poster in the post that you quoted, and as is clear with my other many postings on this issue, I agree with him/her on this issue. But that doesn't change my view that the Church is free to do as it is doing under our Constitution and that trying to attack it into submission is going to change things.

And, like it or not, the Catholic Church isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I wouldn't equate a fast food choice with spending time in a church and strenuously believing everything that the church teaches. Most people don't really care about boycott and just eat what is convenient and cheap. I'm as anti-religion as they come and it took a while to wean myself off of eating CFA. I have not attended or donated to the church since the mid-80s. The CFA was a sorry spectacle and a totally "up yours, I'm superior" to fagggs. They probably would have lynched some at the individual stores if they could in this day and age.
The comparison is that, in both cases, many tried to shame/attack the institutions into submission/changing their views. In Chick fil a's case, there was a call for a boycott, which failed tremendously. I don't see these efforts against the Catholic Church are going to be any different.

Also, the CFA was a triumph for liberty and freedom of association. And, as I have said multiple times in the past, stating that you're in favor of a definition of marriage that has been around for thousands of years in no way inherently translates into hatred of gays or anyone else. I may support same sex marriage, but I will push back against claims that all those who are opposed to it are motivated by some hatred toward gays.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Why are you talking about the business?

Because the ideas and personal beliefs of the business owner's son (who was and is an executive of the company) on same sex marriage were attacked in a way that attempted to punish the business.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
trying to attack it into submission
Attack the ideas into submission

Like the one who said that it was against the Bible to let the kid into the school.
It's not against the Bible
Nowhere does it say that children with same-sex parents can't go to school

That individual countered with some attempted "gotcha" about it's not just the child being admitted into the school, it's the parents being admitted into the society

Of course, the Bible doesn't say anything about shunning homosexual or same-sex couples, so, still not against the Bible

The ideas are bad

Attack those

Old 03-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Because the ideas and personal beliefs of the business owner's son (who was and is an executive of the company) on same sex marriage were attacked in a way that attempted to punish the business.
Why are you talking about Chick-Fil-A?

Old 03-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Attack the ideas into submission

Like the one who said that it was against the Bible to let the kid into the school.
It's not against the Bible
Nowhere does it say that children with same-sex parents can't go to school

That individual countered with some attempted "gotcha" about it's not just the child being admitted into the school, it's the parents being admitted into the society

Of course, the Bible doesn't say anything about shunning homosexual or same-sex couples, so, still not against the Bible

The ideas are bad

Attack those
If the attacks are merely against ideas, I have no problem with that. The problem is that these attacks against "ideas" are almost always (really, it is hard if not impossible to separate things to bring about the change some seek) tied to the institution or people leading the institution. You fight against ideas by supporting legislation preventing discrimination on account of sexuality (for example), by speaking out against them generally, etc. You don't attack ideas by personally attacking people and institutions holding these ideas, by trying to shame the institutions into submission.

I think the Catholic Church is foolish and hateful to not allow the kid into the school. But that's a big reason why I wouldn't support such a school or church myself. Still, acknowledging that the church has a constitutional right to associate freely with those who share its beliefs, etc., I wouldn't go out of my way to do what some are doing in this case. No, I'd surround myself with like-minded people.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Why are you talking about Chick-Fil-A?

Asked and answered (in the same post that you quoted, too, actually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies