Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I do agree with that. It's just a shame that he can't attend what I'm assuming his parents think is a good school, because they are gay. I wish they were as single minded as you are about wanting to give the child a good education and not allow their dogma to get in the way.
My hunch is parents in this case not interested in choosing a good school, vs pushing a SJW agenda.

Because if that were not the case, they would have kept this private, and each parties actions not known to the general public. That would have been in the best interest of the CHILD.

The parents no doubt publicized this, which shows the child's best interests were not their primary concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would a family who aren't catholic want to send their kids to catholic schools where the catholic religion is taught. Plus, they attend mass a lot.
Because Catholic schools are often/usually superior to the public schools surrounding them, in large part because the chronic miscreants aren't there. It's the single-biggest factor that few like to speak about. A small minority adversely affects the majority of students. If you knew how much time and how many resources are spent on this small minority, the public would probably march to their local public schools with pitchforks. Most Americans have no understanding of how bad it is, particularly in urban schools, where most are simply day housing centers for young people. There is no learning going on. Many teachers simply want to get through the next hour without any of their students assaulting someone. Just last week, I had a principal pressuring me to give a senior who rarely shows up for class a retake so she passes. It's all motivated by getting our graduation rates up and it doesn't matter what it takes, short of out-and-out cheating, to get that number up.

I could go on and on. People have suggested I write a book just sharing how bad public education really is, but honestly, it would have to be as long as War and Peace, and I don't think I have the motivation to do that. I can walk across the street and find an imperfect Catholic school, but one that is free of probably 75% of the stuff that corrupts most public schools. Little wonder that parents in poor urban school districts often jump at the chance to get their kids into a Catholic school.

The simple requirement of having some bread in the game automatically ups levels of accountability of both students and parents. It creates a different atmosphere and changes the academic environment for the better. And, again, that Catholic school does not have to indulge in that kid who has decided he/she is going ti disrupt the learning of everyone else. It only takes one in a classroom. The Catholic school can send them packing and that's a good thing. What happens to that student? I don't know. There are problems that have no solutions.

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
At any rate, I find it appalling that they would punish an innocent child because they disagree with the parents’ lifestyle. It’s not as if the kid had any choice in having same sex parents. What sort of message does that send to this child and the children of other same sex couples about the Catholic Church? That they are inferior and not worthy, because of something they themselves have no control over. That it’s more about politics than it is about the person. The Jesus portrayed in the Bible would not have rejected this child because of that. Yet again, we have another example of the hypocrisy of this church, where archaic dogma flies in the face of what the religion is supposed to stand for.
Isn't the parents punishing the child? He would come home questioning their choice from what he heard in school.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Doctrine has never changed nor will ever change since it's based on Christ's words.
Only Christ? Do you not count Paul, James, John, Jude, and Peter in those who influenced church doctrine? How about all the writers of the Old Testament and Apocrypha? Moses? Isaiah? Solomon? Daniel? Ezra? Jeremiah?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Passing school choice would help a lot but politicians don't want that since most would chose private schools over government run schools.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Only Christ? Do you not count Paul, James, John, Jude, and Peter in those who influenced church doctrine? How about all the writers of the Old Testament and Apocrypha? Moses? Isaiah? Solomon? Daniel? Ezra? Jeremiah?
Christ is the head and the Lord and God of all those you posted.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Because Catholic schools are often/usually superior to the public schools surrounding them, in large part because the chronic miscreants aren't there.

The simple requirement of having some bread in the game automatically ups levels of accountability of both students and parents. It creates a different atmosphere and changes the academic environment for the better. And, again, that Catholic school does not have to indulge in that kid who has decided he/she is going ti disrupt the learning of everyone else. It only takes one in a classroom. The Catholic school can send them packing and that's a good thing. What happens to that student? I don't know. There are problems that have no solutions.

I had to copy your great points.

That's the key, the ability to expell w/o needing an Act of Congress to do so.

The ability to pick who you admit, who you do not, from day one.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Passing school choice would help a lot but politicians don't want that since most would chose private schools over government run schools.
Every post you have made in this thread is an incredibly strong argument AGAINST school choice.

If this boy would not be allowed to go to any school of his choice based upon his parents or if my children denied access to a school because they are being raised Jewish, then it's not school choice and our taxes should absolutely not pay for it.

Thank you for your convincing arguments that school choice is a horrible choice for American children!

Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Christ is the head and the Lord and God of all those you posted.
Come on, Janelle. You know as well as I do that doctrine, even that of the Roman Catholic Church has evolved over time as interpreted by the magisterium. They may be divinely inspired, but they are also human.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Doctrine has never changed nor will ever change since it's based on Christ's words.
So were you in favor of the Inquisition and the Crusades? Because that’s how the church leaders interpreted what the “Doctrine” mandated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies