Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 03:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
In bible courses.
Taught as history? Are you sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Taught as history? Are you sure?
The bible is part history of the Jewish people and ancient times. It can be taught as history.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
The bible is part history of the Jewish people and ancient times. It can be taught as history.
My question is not about whether or not it could be, but whether or not it is in a public school setting. I’m looking to confirm whether or not that is the case. The Bible is used as a resource in one class offered at our local high school, Comparative Western Religions, but it is not taught specifically as history.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:36 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Self-inflicted wounds, ironic given the church considers suicide a sin.
as was illigitimate babies.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:38 AM

293 posts, read 121,238 times
Quote:
Well it is also a history book and I believe some schools are now given permission to teach it.
There's a difference between teaching the Bible and teaching about the Bible

I imagine you'd be against teaching the Qu'ran in American public schools

I also imagine you'd be against teaching about the Qu'ran in American public schools, but hopefully you can see the difference.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:45 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
While not something I support, they are a private school. It's why I do not support the expansion of private schools using tax payer funding.
Too late; they already do. That ship has sailed. Boston College, Georgetown University, Emory University (which works hand-in-hand with the CDC, ask me how I know ), etc.,... and many others are private religious schools (Georgetown is Jesuit - Catholic, Bill Clinton is a graduate) and ALL receive taxpayer funding in the form of research grants, student loan funding, etc.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
When that 67% or more is running the Catholic church then maybe things will change. Until then nope.
With the pedophile nightmare and other corruption in high gear and now approaching the highest levels of the papacy, that time may come soon. Doctrine is only as good as the leaders who design and implement it.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Well it is also a history book and I believe some schools are now given permission to teach it.
That permission should be revoked. The Bible has no place in public school curriculum. Public schools are an extension of the state. The establishment clause clearly separates church and state.

Furthermore, the Bible is more of a fantasy book then a history book. Its purpose is to advocate for a specific religion and against other religions. It belongs in Church, not in public schools that contain people of different religions, and more and more in today’s world: no religion.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Teaching the Bible as history in a public school setting is very difficult because while historical events are depicted in the Bible, for example the siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE, it’s difficult for teachers to tease out the history from that which is faith in the presence of young students. It’s too much of a lightning rod for a history class and certainly not appropriate for young children in a secular academic setting, who come from a variety of backgrounds with different perspectives on the significance of the Bible. I’m not saying we should ban the Bible from school completely. Of course, individuals and extracurricular groups should feel free to read and discuss the Bible on school grounds. I also think Bible translations and commentaries belong in school libraries, along with the holy books of other world religions. If a student writes a research paper on the role of Jerusalem in the ancient Middle East and uses the Torah as a resource, that’s fine, but I do not want to see public school teachers put in the position of teaching the Bible to World History students.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 AM

283 posts, read 172,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How very 'Christ-like' of them.

It is so clear that the attempt to enroll children in a Catholic kindergarten is a provocation ..
Gay parents are interested in provoking ..
LGBT people will never change..
These gay parents pretend not to know that the CATHOLIC CHURCH DOES NOT ALLOW HOMOSEXUAL WEDDINGS..and GAY ADOPTIONS..

These gay parents are exploiting the child (bought from a rented womb ? ) as a weapon to fight against the Catholic Church..

I dont' think they are good parents.

Last edited by asiago12; 03-30-2019 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies