Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yet you are against mosques and synogogues being taxed, perhaps because you agree with their ideologies????
Where did I say that? Before slandering me, at least back it up with facts. #youtriggered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
and many others send their children to catholic schools because they want their children educated in a religious-sponsored institution. In any event, the teachings of the catholic church on certain issues are and have long been clear. What happened here shouldn't be a shock to anyone. And you're not going to get the church to change by shaming it into submission. While i wish that the catholic church didn't have such policies, i will defend their right under our constitution to have such policies.
+1.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:24 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Church attendance in the United States is plummeting. The church in my hometown was converted to a restaurant and another demolished.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/232226/...ard-slide.aspx

I wouldn't read too much into that church attendance trend.

Americans don't like to do much of anything that requires turning off their smart phones for two hours.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:44 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Americans don't like to do much of anything that requires turning off their smart phones for two hours.
I can imagine confession "forgive me father, I need to check my instagram"

Old 03-10-2019, 09:00 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
This is just one of the problems with religion. It’s all man made anyway. Why bother?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I wouldn't read too much into that church attendance trend.

Attendance is what keeps the collection plates full, though. The dropping attendance is what is leading to so many Catholic churches and schools closing. A parish can't survive if they can't fill the pews.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 AM

293 posts, read 121,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And you're not going to get the church to change by shaming it into submission.
It's like you are totally unaware of history

https://www.history.com/news/when-po...apal-apologies

The world is moving on from this backwards ass thinking that homosexuality is a sin and homosexuals should be shunned.

This backwards ass thinking should be called out at every turn. Let those who held those beliefs (cast the first stone) repent and ask forgiveness and come live with us in the 21st century

Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I went to Catholic school for 12 years. Not because my parents were religious but because they did not want to send me to Public School in NYC back in the 1950's. By HS, I was questioning all of that religion. While my husband and I were married in the Catholic Church, we only went through the trappings of religion with our own children. I think growing up they kinda knew our hearts really weren't into it. After what I went through in Catholic School, I vowed I would NEVER sent my own children to one.

My younger daughter married in the Catholic Church but she and her husband will tell you it was only for the Pomp and Circumstance, and super religious MIL. They did not baptize their sons. "Let them decide when they are older what religion, or none, they want". Daughter considers herself more spiritual than religious and goes to a Spiritualist Church which embraces all religions and prophets/holy men equally.

My older daughter is more religious than her sister. She and her wife just had a baby boy last Friday. They do intend to baptize their son but not in the Catholic religion. They have a close, gay friend who is a Minister in a non-denominational Christian church which to quote her, "welcomes everyone, including gay families". They will be going there. I don't think they have their own school so I guess grandson #3 will be going to public school, same as his cousins.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:13 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Not defending the catholic school; in fact, I think it is wrong . . . but why is it when conservatives are kicked off Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook the left portrays it as an acceptable action of a private entity and this, well makes, the news with an obvious slant.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:16 AM

293 posts, read 121,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Not defending the catholic school; in fact, I think it is wrong . . . but why is it when conservatives are kicked off Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook the left portrays it as an acceptable action of a private entity and this, well makes, the news with an obvious slant.
Discrimination based on one's actions, words, behaviors, etc is different than discrimination based on one's inherent characteristics (hair color, eye color, race, gender, sex, sexuality, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies