Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
My parents were saying exactly the same thing 40 years ago.

I'm pretty sure we'll still be saying it 40 years from now.

Every generation strives to do things differently than their parent's generation did. It's called growing pains.
Also called an economic pyramid that forever grows wider at the base where more and more people are living in poverty and/or borderline...

"almost 80% of American workers are living paycheck to paycheck"

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-unemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 11:31 AM

4,505 posts, read 1,861,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I do get it...

Nobody really likes ANYTHING about the homeless, let alone all the more "street zombies" right close to home. No one likes the stink, the look, the crime, the drugs -- none of it. No one, not even them. Of course not, but what you don't seem to get is the part about all the rest of this problem without any easy answers. The what to do about it part.

First of all, blaming liberals is your first mistake. At least until you can point to how conservatives have better solutions to the problems we ALL face when it comes to the homeless problem. More than a few comments since my last one in this thread do a pretty good job of pointing out how simply wishing the problem would go away doesn't work. There is the law and basic human rights that can't be ignored either.

At a minimum, the hope that most people with drug and/or mental health problems will be miraculously "cured" is also a bit of wishful thinking, but there are things that can be done to help reduce much about the homeless problem that is so sad and difficult for everyone.

For example, not too far from where I live and not too long ago, there was an illegal homeless encampment that grew quite large, right in plain view of most people coming into town off the freeway, in plain view of local residents as well as tourists too, every day all day. Not the best "welcoming sign" to see first thing for anyone. Not only were the make-shift tents spread about looking sad and shabby, but the trash and living conditions in the camp were nothing short of atrocious -- a dangerous health risk for all concerned. It was like a camp ground in a municipal dump site...

Took some doing before all the legal issues were addressed; about how to force all those people to move, what to do with belongings left behind, where to redirect them. Ultimately how to provide them alternative shelter while the rainy season was still going on. Long-story-short, a much cleaner, safer area was set up for them not too far away but in a far less conspicuous area, in more of a safer industrial area. Fenced off and better hidden from the street, no drugs allowed, fresh new tents in neat rows on pallet like platforms to keep the tents off the dirt, a social services table set up to provide volunteers and information about access to all forms of help.

Leave it to the conservatives and these people would have had nowhere to go, and no doubt all the related problems of homelessness would have been exasperated and spread even further throughout the community, just for starters...
Here’s the Lib principals that create the problem:

1) Its a basic human right to live wherever you want regardless of the cost of living. If you cannot afford a home in a high cost area, one should be provided at a price you can afford and free if necessary.

2) Vagrants should not be clustered in low cost, undesirable areas if this is where the vagrants do not want to live. Vagrants need to be distributed throughout middle and upper class residential areas. Exposing the vagrants to the finer things in life will help them rejoin society as a productive person.

3) Drug addiction is a disability that happens to victims

4) Most addicts can be saved and turned back into normal, productive people.

5) Most vagrants are good people who want to work and are just “down on their luck”

Until Liberals understand this is absolute garbage, progress will never be made and the problem will only get worse.

You cannot bear to face this reality, so arguing with you is a total waste of time.

I’ll say it again....eventually the problem will get so bad that most everyone will be totally fed up with it and the laws will get changed to deal with it.

Its basic common sense that expensive liberal ideas are not solving the problem.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,191,277 times
It’s what happens when you put the needs and concerns of other countries ahead of our own, when we stopped making things and industry left, when we we have a border where drugs can freely flow into our communities, where the welfare system provides for the lazy and dependent

Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Here’s the Lib principals that create the problem:
1) Its a basic human right to live wherever you want regardless of the cost of living. If you cannot afford a home in a high cost area, one should be provided at a price you can afford and free if necessary.
2) Vagrants should not be clustered in low cost, undesirable areas if this is where the vagrants do not want to live. Vagrants need to be distributed throughout middle and upper class residential areas. Exposing the vagrants to the finer things in life will help them rejoin society as a productive person.
3) Drug addiction is a disability that happens to victims
4) Most addicts can be saved and turned back into normal, productive people.
5) Most vagrants are good people who want to work and are just “down on their luck”
Until Liberals understand this is absolute garbage, progress will never be made and the problem will only get worse.
You cannot bear to face this reality, so arguing with you is a total waste of time.
I’ll say it again....eventually the problem will get so bad that most everyone will be totally fed up with it and the laws will get changed to deal with it.
Its basic common sense that expensive liberal ideas are not solving the problem.
Of course no one said any of that nonsense ^ but out of curiosity - give us the 'conservative answer' to homelessness, I'd love to see the details...

Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course no one said any of that nonsense ^ but out of curiosity - give us the 'conservative answer' to homelessness, I'd love to see the details...
So you’re saying libs believe the opposite?

Please please please say yes...it will almost be too easy LOL

The conservative answer is to recognize drug users as criminals and treat them accordingly and to not give handouts to able-bodied young and middle-aged people.

We would also reduce the demand for rent (and therefore reduce the cost of living for the poor) by stopping illegal immigration

But I know, I know, homelessness is “a complex problem blah blah blah permanent supportive housing blah blah blah”

Well it’s not working. Lib ideas are failing and all can see it.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its the democrats policy for a new growth industry ?

Soon a rollout for tent skyscrapers !!!

Its progressive !!!
It never fails, I read a comment, one that is just SO mind-boggling misguided, that I have to go back and see who wrote it, and most of the time it's you, or one of a handful of a few other people.

Drug Addiction is not a democratic or republican problem. It probably happens in greater percentages in rural areas which are traditionally republican, but that's not the point.

You have once again drank the coolaid if you really believe this is because of Democrats. (Hell, I guarantee you Rush Limbaugh didn't turn into a junky by voting for Al Gore and watching CNN in the early years!)

Honestly, if you are not willing to even attempt think before you type, shouldn't you abstain from commenting?

It's a huge problem, and one that can't be blamed on either party, or can be blamed soley on BOTH parties. Take your pick.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
So you’re saying libs believe the opposite?

Please please please say yes...it will almost be too easy LOL

The conservative answer is to recognize drug users as criminals and treat them accordingly and to not give handouts to able-bodied young and middle-aged people.

We would also reduce the demand for rent (and therefore reduce the cost of living for the poor) by stopping illegal immigration

But I know, I know, homelessness is “a complex problem blah blah blah permanent supportive housing blah blah blah”

Well it’s not working. Lib ideas are failing and all can see it.
Tell me what the penalties are in conservative states for being a drug user, and list the states that allow involuntary confinement of people not convicted of a crime. Republicans had a trifecta for two years - they held the Presidency, the House and the Senate. They had a lot of power and they could have used that to pass sweeping immigration reform legislation, they didn't. They could have done it under reconciliation rather than shoving through tax breaks for billionaires and corporations and wasting it on a foolish failed effort at killing the ACA.

It's real easy to participate in this forum by blaming "liberals" for everything that's wrong, but I think most people here including conservatives don't take posts like that seriously.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Tell me what the penalties are in conservative states for being a drug user, and list the states that allow involuntary confinement of people not convicted of a crime. Republicans had a trifecta for two years - they held the Presidency, the House and the Senate. They had a lot of power and they could have used that to pass sweeping immigration reform legislation, they didn't. They could have done it under reconciliation rather than shoving through tax breaks for billionaires and corporations and wasting it on a foolish failed effort at killing the ACA.

It's real easy to participate in this forum by blaming "liberals" for everything that's wrong, but I think most people here including conservatives don't take posts like that seriously.
I asked for you to tell me that libs disagreed with the 5 points I stated

Instead I received a “waaa waaa orange man bad” post

So do you want to answer the question, or deflect again??

Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:

Instead I received a “waaa waaa orange man bad” post

So do you want to answer the question, or deflect again??
Speaking of deflecting..... I scanned the response you are replying to, and there is no mention of "orange" or "trump". Not one reference of ANYTHING bad they did. (Only mention was that they had trifecta control and did nothing, but no mention of "bad".)

You are flat-out making stuff up. You guys are all rediculous, and the only people falling for it are your own. Other than making you feel good, it's not getting you, or our country anywhere but down.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
You don't avoid answering a question by asking one. Tell us what the conservative solutions to homelessness are. You mentioned criminalizing drug use, I'm still waiting to see the list of states in which drug use is a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies