Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:11 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.apnews.com/252e6519aad242739072498948093df2

good or bad idea. Seems like a good idea for lawyers and lawsuit happy women
Can she make sure that working women don’t leave their work duties to go birth their kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Because "unequal pay" as you imagine doesn't exist.
Then you shouldn't worry about companies being fined for violating the law, should you?

Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Then you shouldn't worry about companies being fined for violating the law, should you?
It all depends upon the criteria used:
Male employee with 15 years experience and strong job permanence earns 100 grand a year.
Female employee who has been employed for 15 years but has missed 4 years due to child birth and maternity leave, and works a reduced work schedule should not be paid the same as her male counter part.

Male employee with 15 years experience and strong job performance.
Female employee with identical stats.
Both should be paid the same.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:16 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Can she make sure that working women don’t leave their work duties to go birth their kids?

Proven Fact: As income rises birth rates drop!
After reparations are paid out few woman will desire to have kids.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Pay should be based on qualifications and job duties, not one's sex.

Women who are equally qualified, and doing the same job as men should be paid the same. I don't see why this is so difficult.... keep it merit based. Problem solved.
It’s not difficult and yet...

Testimony during hearings on the equal pay law that was just signed by my governor, tells a very different story.
Women absolutely are still paid less than their male counterparts for the same jobs.

When everything else is equal - experience, education, credentials - what other reason could there be for paying them less other than that they are women?

There’s no excuse and there should be consequences.

“Wendy Rockwell, the sole provider for her family of four in Highlands Ranch, was in the middle of a successful career in the biopharmaceutical industry – top awards, a promotion to manager – when she discovered she was earning as little as 57 cents on the dollar compared to some male managers in her company.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/2...olis-colorado/

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
And that....is exactly where the "devil" is in the details. A government bureaucrat or agency deciding exactly what each position within a company is "worth", to a private company.

My neighbor has a lawn service take care of his lawn. I take care of my own. My neighbor feels his lawn guy is worth more to him, than I think he would be to me...hence I don't use his services. Is either of us wrong ? Absolutely not! In fact we're both right. It's a judgment call, and includes our own very individual opportunity cost for our own very individual situations...and companies would be no different with their analysis I'd think.

Is the aerospace engineer worth the same as the janitor who cleans the bathrooms in the same facility? When I enter the bathroom I certainly want it clean, and don't want poop on the floor, so I guess for my immediate needs, and for the protection of my health, the janitor is indeed worth the same amount as the aerospace engineer who has no direct impact on my day to day work experience. Oh...except for the fact that without the aerospace engineer I may not even have a job, there is that!

So how exactly do you determine the value of dissimilar jobs in dissimilar companies and boil that all down into an exact salary amount that in the bureaucrats opinion "should" be paid for this exact person in this exact job?

If this idea, as presented, were ever implemented, it would be a a train wreck in the making...and anyone with an ounce of sense would see that coming.
Who is arguing that completely different jobs should pay the same?

This is about women being paid less for doing the same exact job as their male counterparts.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a "same pay/same outcome" scenario that doesn't exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me.........if I have more experience.......and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town??? just because he is doing the same job, and meeting a "standard"

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs...needs of the company AND needs of the employee who negotiates starting wage during the application process

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

should a woman or man coming into the shop as a mechanic be paid the same as my lead mechanic, just because the title says mechanic????

should a woman LAWYER just coming out of law school be paid the same as a male lawyer that has been practicing for the last 20 years???

should a woman just coming onto the job, (but has 10 years experience) be paid the same as an employee that has been with the COMPANY for the last 10 years ( LONGEVITY on the job)????

should an employee based in a NYC company be paid the same as an employee based in a Biloxi Mississippi company, just because they have the same title, and are the same type of company??? even though the cost of living is like 4-1 difference??

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need, and associated benefits (say the woman REQUIRES a 35hr week due to daycare)...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview
More ridiculous deflective arguments.

This is about equal pay for equal work. Period.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I am in favor of people with the same level of experience in the same or similar types of jobs being paid the same or nearly the same amount. I apply to this all races and genders. The examples you listed are things that many people might overlook when they say "Woman should be paid the same as men".

Now in cases of where it is a confirmed case of "You are being paid this much because you are this race or gender", then I am for the civil rights suits. However, how we prove that is hard.
The examples that poster listed have nothing to do with anything.
They’re just a bunch of made up hypotheticals that don’t address the issue.

The issue is not inexperienced workers vs. experienced workers.
It is not different job responsibilities.

The issue is people with comparable education, work experience, longevity, and the same job description making different salaries for no reason other than gender.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Real pay discrimination pretty Much doesn’t happen
I agree

Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Proven Fact: As income rises birth rates drop!
After reparations are paid out few woman will desire to have kids.
I dont understand why any woman wants to have kids now. Mothers are belittled for taking time off work to deliver a child, belittled for taking time off to take care of their child, belittle for breast feeding, belittled for not breast feeding and belittled for leaving the workforce to be SAHMs. Lose/Lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies