Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Almost all heroin addicts don't work because they can't hold a job. Who pays for their "medicine"? Yep, the tax payer.

as i said i have twenty years of experience working with addicts they mostly work for many years untill addiction overcomes them completely...but in those many preceding years preceding the crash they work
as any other does...and these are dirt cheap drugs costing pennies per dose.....

what has been your experience while working in the field of recovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Letting prisoners use heroin is not a remedy by any stretch of the imagination. It worsens the problem. Forcing them to detox and get off of it is an actual remedy.
Well if you know so much, why not fix the heroin problem HERE first? That’ll show the Canadians how it’s done.

You guys know what everyone else is supposed to be doing, but can’t fix the same issues right under your noses. SMH

Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Isn't this the reason many were incarcerated - drug dealing or possession? I guess the other heroin facilitation programs have worked so well.

The first such site in North America was opened in 2003 in Vancouver, B.C., a city that is currently experiencing record high levels of heroin and opioid overdoses, despite the original facility, and a second, being in operation. Vancouver is also looking at decriminalizing heroin use in a controversial attempt at reducing drug deaths.

The logic escapes me -- giving more access to drugs will reduce drug deaths? The inmates are running the asylum.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/09/c...-site-inmates/
So maybe they OD and the problem solved itself.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Isn't this the reason many were incarcerated - drug dealing or possession? I guess the other heroin facilitation programs have worked so well.

No. People are incarcerated for drug possession because the government decided the best way to deal with a drug addict is to put them in prison. Just like if some future democrat controlled government makes gun possession illegal, people will be locked up for having guns, which I hope never happens. It does not matter what the item is it matters how the government views it.

People should be allowed to put in their bodies whatever they choose. If that was the case then these prisoners would not be prisoners and this story would be moot.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No. People are incarcerated for drug possession because the government made it illegal. Just like if some future democrat controlled government makes gun possession illegal, people will be locked up for having guns, which I hope never happens. It does not matter what the item is it matters how the government views it.

People should be allowed to put in their bodies whatever they choose. If that was the case then these prisoners would not be prisoners and this story would be moot.
Sneak into Canada and you can enjoy all the drugs you want in their prisons.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
If the program has seen a 30% increase in detoxification use, what percentage of that 30% has resulted in a permanent cessation of drug use? If the documentaries I've watched recently are any indicator, detox centers are used by addicts as a good place to feed and flop on the taxpayer dime. I know a guy who lived on my street who went through a 90-day detox program on the beach in Wilmington, NC. He liked it so much, he went through it 3 TIMES. Why not? It didn't cost him a penny. And he felt so good and so refreshed when he returned he immediately went out and partied with his girlfriend. Guess how they lived it up.

While I do agree somewhat with the quote from the conservative leader, I'm not sure what results must occur for them to say the program is working. You couch "coming around" of Canadians as an acceptance of facts. I don't know. Maybe. But perhaps it's more of a capitulation to a system that is going to impose a morality on them whether they disagree with it or not.
It's not just about keeping people off of drugs, its about harm reduction and saving lives.

I trust the medical profession here to know what they are doing and since our local health authority, the provincial health department and medical experts...remember this site had 49 peer reviewed papers in the last 3 years, have all said it works.

What results must occur to show it is working, again the criteria is in the link, and they are meeting all of them.
That doesn't mean a 100 percent success, but it does mean success.

Perhaps also there is a very different attitude in Canada in regards to taxes and healthcare. It's not a stretch for people here to see harm reduction as part of healthcare, and to us, it's just another program.

Anyway, I 'm going with the experts, not some guy on CD " who knows a guy." ?

Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Sneak into Canada and you can enjoy all the drugs you want in their prisons.

I would never touch any of that crap it would be nice if no one else did either but that not how it is. We have done the war on drugs for what 40 years now, almost my entire life and the problem is still there just like it was 40 years ago.

You arrest these addicts, put them in prison and let them out with a felony record and little chance of finding work or staying off of those drugs. So they commit crimes and go back to prison.

I am fine with trying new strategies.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Honestly, yes I would. I understand it is lifetime treatment like we would for Diabetics, but I’d rather pay for that than for someone to shoot heroin into their veins. How does that help society when these junkies get out of prison?
Its very simple...when that person gets out of jail and still has the addiction, would you rather the corner drug dealer be supplying them or some quality controlled, regulated supply?

Keep in mind, if they are going to the corner drug dealers, this means, its the drug cartels that are profiting and benefiting, all the violence and other problems that come with criminal organizations will still be around.

If the heroin is legal, its quality controlled and regulated, this means NO CRIMINAL ORGANIZATIONS involved, no violence, no crimes or beheadings, no shootouts over drug turf, etc, etc. (alcohol is a great example, once it was made legal again, the criminal element had no choice but to get out of the alcohol game, its why we dont see violence and killing over alcohol sales today).

But hey, if you support the drug cartels and wish for them to keep raking in the money and thriving, keep laws in place and keep things the way they are, the only way the cartels thrive and succeed, is if we keep doing the same thing.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Good, hopefully they all overdose. Everybody gets a win.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would never touch any of that crap it would be nice if no one else did either but that not how it is. We have done the war on drugs for what 40 years now, almost my entire life and the problem is still there just like it was 40 years ago.

You arrest these addicts, put them in prison and let them out with a felony record and little chance of finding work or staying off of those drugs. So they commit crimes and go back to prison.

I am fine with trying new strategies.
Yep, the only groups that benefit from this are, law enforcement, prisons, the courts, and the drug cartels.

Gee, I wonder why all these groups are colluding with each other?!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies