Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't choose either nor would many Americans so what's your point? What makes you think that all these tax dollars are being spent only on Americans? Illegal aliens and their broods cost us over $100 billion a year just for starters. You call that fiscal responsibility?
So, what, let American children go without to ensure that no illegals get something they aren't entitled to?

Yeah, sounds like something you'd advocate for.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:05 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I would much rather a few game the system if it means supporting those truly in need, rather than not offering that support to keep the few from gaming the system. It is my duty and my desire to mitigate the suffering of those who do not have the advantages that I have.

If it is to benefit the child, then the child will suffer because you want to make the parent suffer. That is backward. And our school system doesn't care if parents/friends join in. It hasn't added a significant cost to our program. The food per serving cost is low.

We have 2 such programs in our community to cover all elementary/middle school children. They are both dependent on donated food. I have helped pack these weekend food bundles. The one I did had two servings of oatmeal, 4 apples, a baggie of carrots & celery, a can of chicken noodle soup, a baggie of goldfish crackers, 2 bakery rolls, and a baggie of trail mix. Again, all donated.

Not every child benefits from what his family has available. It is a program to aid a specific group--hungry children in the community. And by making it available to all, more kids are likely to go use it. So, I knew a boy who likely qualified for free lunch. But his parents didn't sign him up for it. He usually "made" his lunch--a piece of bread with some jelly, maybe some crackers. He was 8 years old, and usually came to the bus stop not having eaten breakfast. I know he didn't get much for dinner. Why should that boy suffer because he had cruddy parents? He is a real person. He was suffering because he was hungry. And there was intervention. But it is a round-and-round process that only ended a few years later because his father died and his mother just opted out. It took time--it's incomprehensible that he should suffer while waiting for grownups to do the right thing for him. The school ensured he ate. If he showed up at my door, I fed him dinner. But there were weeks where I believe he had no food in his house while authorities wrangled with rights, with placements, with courts. He deserved to be fed.

Not all family can be home at dinner. Not all family chooses to be home at dinner. The "shoulds" place the consequences on those that can least control it. Why should children suffer if the adults make poor choices, or just can't be there because of work, or are trying but not making it?

Again, do we put the consequences on kids? Or do we try to offer them resources so they can move beyond their current circumstances? In the case of kids, they go to school in exchange for a little bit of food. We give them that in order to provide a better chance at success. Does it work out? I don't know statistics. I only know anecdotal and observed circumstances. The family who lived across the street from me were very poor, and all got free lunches. Every single one of those children grew up to be gainfully employed and successful taxpayers. My best friend in elementary school lived in a poverty I could barely understand. They got free lunches, and my friend graduated from high school and had a very successful career in retail management (she had her first child at 15, and managed to carve out a good life for her family). These programs can have profound impacts on children.
Let me rephrase your question. Why should the taxpayer have to suffer for the poor choices of adult parents? Ever heard of the term "enabling"?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:06 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really dont think the complaint is about feeding hungry children.
The complaint is, first its not feeding hungry children. I dont understand why people want to pretend or convince others there are hordes hungry kids who do not have food at home and they will literally starve with out this free lunch. Where its a nice thing, is it a necessity, is it actually alleviating hunger. Second, it is a duplicate program. There are food stamps, food banks, and other non profit groups that provide those in need with free food. So is it a necessity, it it actually alleviating hunger.
When you donate to a charity do you consider what the charity is accomplishing, who they are helping, how strong the need is, how much of the donations are actually being used to help others.

People are concerned with the US deficit, with government spending and increased taxes. Should we not begin to eliminate federal spending? Not just in social programs but in all federal spending but we have to begin somewhere, unnecessary, wasteful, redundant, outdated programs is a place to start. I believe there are many other federally funded programs that should be at the top of the list but why scold people for speaking out against waste.
Must have a lot to do with where one lives.

Houston ISD feeds 76.99% of their 216000 students lunch.

I live in a middile class school district. Of the 116,512 students 46% get free lunch.

Spring ISD has 36,698 students 68.46% get lunch.

Just guessing while looking at the numbers, I'd say 50% of the students in Harris county are on reduced or free lunch.

This is what happens when the federal government does not require verifying qualifications.

We might as well just include breakfast and lunch as part of school.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If you can't feed em then don't breed em. It's really that simple.
You do not know what those kids lives will be like or who they will become. I remember going to school and my mother wanted me to eat the food they made in the morning because she had to go to work. I never liked the food at all nor i really ate any.

it is the same principal. We are talking about every single kid within the radius of a public school. That is a lot of children, and for those children it is something simple to get through the days. The same programs are also extended to daycare companies.

You do not like the program. Then why not just go and stand in a busy traffic lane. One less cry-baby to feed.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I will never understand why people would be so selfish they would have the audacity to complain about feeding hungry children.
Indeed.

Considering what a drop in the bucket, cost-wise, these programs represent, it hardly seems something for people to rail against, but it seems that there are some who simply cannot let pass an opportunity to condemn some act of beneficence.

Sad.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Read the points people are making in the thread.

You might just learn something.
I've read them all and I've learned quite a lot.

I've learned that there are people who simply don't want any sort of safety net.

The end.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Do you want those children to go hungry?
Yes. And for their parents to take them back to the country they belong to.

In particular, the pudgiest people I encounter in the Boston area are Central Americans. They have the extremely bad habit of drinking sugary sodas instead of water. All of them will become diabetics.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Feeding hungry people? Oh the horror
Not the point of what this topic is about. Feeding kids at school 3 meals on the taxpayer dime is excessive. Why are these parents having kids they can't afford to feed in the first place? Sick of paying for other people's irresponsible behavior.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I've read them all and I've learned quite a lot.

I've learned that there are people who simply don't want any sort of safety net.

The end.
Well, no, then you haven't read the thread. Because that is not what is being discussed. /shrug/

I've learned that there are people who like to post with no understanding of the context whatsoever.

And people who have no problem happily throwing money directly into the trash.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
You do not know what those kids lives will be like or who they will become. I remember going to school and my mother wanted me to eat the food they made in the morning because she had to go to work. I never liked the food at all nor i really ate any.

it is the same principal. We are talking about every single kid within the radius of a public school. That is a lot of children, and for those children it is something simple to get through the days. The same programs are also extended to daycare companies.

You do not like the program. Then why not just go and stand in a busy traffic lane. One less cry-baby to feed.
Why don't you go stand in a busy traffic lane and keep crying over the bleeding heart liberal need to feed the kids of irresponsible adults? Why don't you seek out solutions to end this madness instead? I have fed myself and my family my entire life we never took or asked for handouts and only had kids we could afford to feed ourselves. There is a lesson to be learned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies