Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 05:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

You all must live in Alabama, I'm guessing.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Alabama is more important and influential than people in coastal states give it credit for. It's the cornerstone of the South and of the Bible Belt.

A case-in-point is that I bet several states will follow Alabama's lead and pass complete abortion bans in their 2020 legislative sessions.
and by nowhere, you mean la-la land.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is a tenet of our constitution to keep your tenets of religion to yourself.
actually, no it isn't

but if it makes you feel better, run with it.

BTW, I'm not saying we should adopt Christianity or Judaism as an official religion...not any significant % of folks have in the last 100 years.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:58 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That's odd? Christian Americans make up most of the country. Don't see them creating anything like Al-queda and ISIS. I know Democrats created the KKK and Democrat FDR created concentration camps for Japanese Americans. Maybe your referring to them?
Logic. Maybe you should try it out sometime.

Btw, the percentage of people that consider themselves Christian has been dropping for decades. The religious right hypocrites that elected the amoral orange clown haven't helped their cause either.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:25 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...erything-else/

And a less-biased source: https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/tube...to-senate.html

This is the guy running for Alabama senator against Roy Moore. He has also stated that we need laws that being back more "family oriented" TV shows like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and the Andy Griffith show and that we need to ban homosexual activity from being shown on television. He believes the top problems in our country today stem from the fact that we've "turned our backs on God" which in Republican speak means we give people freedom to not be fundamentalist Christians.

Do you agree or disagree with Tuberville? Is this what "small government" looks like? Is this what freedom looks like?

Nothing wrong with the basis of his thoughts.
I grew up back in them days. They were good days.
Some things you knew about but said nothing.
Everybody knew everybody. Tipped your hat and showed respect.
What you did behind closed doors was your business as long as it
did not disrupt the quiet and good nature of the town.
I get what he is saying but he needs to change up the way he comes
across or he will end up on the wrong side of the votes.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
where did Tuberville say we should ban homosexuality from TV?

He sounds principled. You may agree or disagree with his principles, but it is a tenet of Christianity & Judaism to put God first. Love your neighbor as yourself is 2nd.
When you show me a politician who practiced - love your neighbor as yourself - I will get on the rooftop to campaign for him . BS 24/7

Old 07-25-2019, 05:33 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Nothing wrong with the basis of his thoughts.
I grew up back in them days. They were good days.
Some things you knew about but said nothing.
Everybody knew everybody. Tipped your hat and showed respect.
What you did behind closed doors was your business as long as it
did not disrupt the quiet and good nature of the town.
I get what he is saying but he needs to change up the way he comes
across or he will end up on the wrong side of the votes.
Key word. Behind. Cheating wife beaters - racist behind hood burning houses etc- and thinking a woman’s place was barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen - I’m not allowed bad words can you read my brain waves maybe ?

Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...erything-else/

And a less-biased source: https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/tube...to-senate.html

This is the guy running for Alabama senator against Roy Moore. He has also stated that we need laws that being back more "family oriented" TV shows like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and the Andy Griffith show and that we need to ban homosexual activity from being shown on television. He believes the top problems in our country today stem from the fact that we've "turned our backs on God" which in Republican speak means we give people freedom to not be fundamentalist Christians.

Do you agree or disagree with Tuberville? Is this what "small government" looks like? Is this what freedom looks like?
And that's why the southern states are collectively called "the Bible Belt".

And why I am against letting in any immigrants who are devoutly religious. America doesn't need anyone religious people or other religions. I don't want mosques built in my town, because that indicates to me that practicing their religion actively is important to them. We need more people who embrace science and logic, not their superstitions and imaginary gods.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:34 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,103 times
These types need to stay the hell out of politics. Frankly, anyone who makes religion a "central theme of their life" we should be wary of.

We don't believe in your holy books, and we don't want your holy books informing secular laws. If you want to live in a regressive state and according to your interpretation of your holy book, have at it.

But don't expect us to praise you or join you under penalty of law.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:02 AM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And that's why the southern states are collectively called "the Bible Belt".

And why I am against letting in any immigrants who are devoutly religious. America doesn't need anyone religious people or other religions. I don't want mosques built in my town, because that indicates to me that practicing their religion actively is important to them. We need more people who embrace science and logic, not their superstitions and imaginary gods.
As you pointed out, we are still called the Bible Belt. In our town of 30,000 I know some people who go to church, but most of us don't. And that has come about in the past 15 years or so.

Politicians are always the last to know, so they all come out declaring Christianity to be this or that. It doesn't matter, but it sure triggers some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies