Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 09:15 PM

72,987 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If you don't see the issue, I can't show you it. I've tried with many Trump supporters. It is hopeless on here to change their minds even if there isn't mental gymnastics being used.
Or it could said person likely knows there is an issue, but plays dumb.

This is how I see it. Calling Baltimore a dump is quite petty. It isn't making Baltimore's problems any better. With that said, dog whistle from a politician are meant for their supporters to hear.

Trump called Baltimore a dump. However, he hasn't called Portsmouth, Ohio's overdose city, a dump. He seems more compassionate with Appalachia than he has been with Baltimore. It can be perceived as "he doesn't care about inner city predominantly Black areas". It could, especially when you consider his tweet directed at former President Obama. His "vote for me, what do you have to lose?", comment didn't cut much ice with those in the inner city. It could be perceived as a cop out.

With that in mind, there is something else that I see, and suspect could be taking place. And this goes to the heart of what a dog whistle term really means. When someone who isn't the President says "Baltimore is a dump", I might be taken aback. However, I consider their position and the situation. I consider that said person is talking to me and/or it's just a conversation topic. No dog whistle. I get where said person is coming from. I know Baltimore has alot of problems and it's not a city I'd want to live in right now. However, when President Trump makes such a comment, I have to wonder why and which audience he is playing to. I wonder if his comment was meant to be a "*********" to Baltimore. Furthermore, I have to wonder if his supporters interpret this as "Of course Baltimore's a dump, it's a Black city".

That is the thing about a dog whistle. Trump doesn't haven't to mean anything racial behind it. Some of his supporters could listen to his statement and interpret it another way. That statement could just be President Trump being petty and stupid. However, considering Trump's incendiary remarks in the past, it leaves some reason to believe that it can be seen as a racist statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:20 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
He knows how extremist LWNJs perceive it and he doesn't care. Frankly, neither do I. There's nothing he or I can say to convince you that people who disagree with you aren't evil horrible human beings. So stop whining for an apology. You're not getting one.
Except not everyone who happens to disagree with him on this natter is a LWNJ, nor someone who thinks people who disagree with them are evil.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:24 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
And not one of these conservative poster probably even had Baltimore on their radars, until Trump made derogatory statements about the place. They heard that whistle loud and clear, and they are responding in full force on this thread. But perhaps all the attention will bring something good out of it.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Obama was NEVER the President of "All America" yet there wasn't a peep about it from the left. He openly mocked anyone who "bitterly clung" to their guns and bibles.

If liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any at all.
Except not everyone who disagrees with how Trump is handling 'Baltimore/this situation with Cummings' is a 'liberal' who was fine with the 'clingers' comment. One can disapprove of both what Obama said about 'clingers' and what Trump is saying about Baltimore.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Here's the "New York" Donald Trump Rat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

All it needs is a little "MAGA" hat and it would be ready for the 2020 Republican Convention!

Note to Baltimore Rats ...try to keep up!

Old 07-28-2019, 09:48 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And not one of these conservative poster probably even had Baltimore on their radars, until Trump made derogatory statements about the place. They heard that whistle loud and clear, and they are responding in full force on this thread. But perhaps all the attention will bring something good out of it.
Actually when I drive up from Florida to NY I gas up in Virginia. When I drive from NY to Fl I gas up at the end of Jersey. You know why? You guessed it. To avoid Baltimore!

Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Here's the "New York" Donald Trump Rat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

All it needs is a little "MAGA" hat and it would be ready for the 2020 Republican Convention!

Note to Baltimore Rats ...try to keep up!
No, leave Master Splinter out of this. He has hungry teens to feed.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,633 times
How long will Democrats pretend that Baltimore is a nice place? And, how long will they demand that the rest of the country go along with their charade? President Trump's calling out of one of the Democrats' worst poverty pimps was a long time coming and I'm glad he did it. I believe most people with any common sense at all understand what he is saying and they agree with him.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You get it...and you're looking at it from outside the U.S.
Yet Bernie gets a pass for his comment?

Old 07-28-2019, 10:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Over 20 years? Has the land around your house not doubled in value over the last 20 years?
The land, probably tripled. But my house? Hell no. And I’ve owned it for exactly 21 years. During the big bubble, yeah.,.it doubled plus some. But when it popped, that was the end of that. Fine with me because I didn’t buy to ever sell it. I wanna give it to my son.

Right now, I’m probably up about $75k more than I paid for it. It’s an old ass house though. Built in ‘79. I’ve put a new kitchen and new bathrooms in it. New roof and swamp cooler too. So when I deduct what I put in it, I haven’t raised any hell. Only good thing is I’ve only got 5-7 years left on the mortgage.

Home values around here took a damn bath after the pop. And we didn’t even have that many bad mortgages in this area.

Whatever. I’m just trying to put enough money together to get another place in Mexico so I can get the hell outta here.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 07-28-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies