Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Again you are using information posted in one of the most liberal blogs there is. DO you expect most of us find this completely accurate and 100% truthful?
For the record, this information was posted on the front page of the Wall Street Journal, which is a center-right publication targeting pro-business moderates - definitely not a "most liberal blog"

Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I consider myself middle class. I own my own home. I paid off my mortgage in three years. Every bit of extra money I had I paid down the mortgage. We paid off our vehicles. I have zero credit card debt. I don't get a new phone every year. I probably go 4 years with the same phone. I cut the cord with my cable. I am actually 100% debt free. I have one child. He attended the Air Force Academy. I gave him a check from the money I had saved for his college. I went to community college and I never took a loan. I have a financial planner and I invest my money into my retirement. it comes down in many cases to how you want to live your life. I live within my means. If I have the money to buy something than I do. If I don't then I wait until I do. Yes I could own a Mercedes. But what the hell does that prove. So I own a a Mercedes and I have hundreds of dollars in payments monthly. Or I just own my truck that I bought two years used and enjoy driving without payments. If you have to keep up with the Jones's I feel sorry for you. Honestly you should be happy with yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I concur, but all of his posts are like that. We do not have a wage, inflation, nor COL problem. We have a decision making, and choices problem with many. They CHOOSE to be frivolous with their spending, and do not have the discipline like you to say, "I can't afford that right now".
And it's Trump's fault. Give me a break.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:41 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Did you read, much less comprehend the link you posted? This goes back decades (by your own link).....not since trump became our president....

Keep up the hate....
That's not what the article says at all.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I concur, but all of his posts are like that. We do not have a wage, inflation, nor COL problem. We have a decision making, and choices problem with many. They CHOOSE to be frivolous with their spending, and do not have the discipline like you to say, "I can't afford that right now".
I disagree. Eddie's point is not without merit. The American economy would grind to a halt if everyone at once decided to have discipline and only spend what they could afford right now. That's why some progressive candidates like Yang are calling for universal basic income. Corporations need consumers to spend more than they earn today in order to stay afloat.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
People who have 1/10th the income I have drive newer cars, go on more exotic vacations
Sorry to hear.

Maybe you'll treat yourself a vacation some day.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:43 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And it's Trump's fault. Give me a break.
Yet Trump gets no credit for the historically low unemployment, even in the Black community. Also, the low inflation, low gasoline and energy prices, and good stock and housing markets. No, he does not control these issues, but his policies can and do influence them.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yet Trump gets no credit
Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. That's about how much credit I'd give him. The guy is a 1) bull in a china shop, 2) a walking train wreck and 3) a dumpster fire... all rolled into one.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Yet Trump gets no credit for the historically low unemployment, even in the Black community. Also, the low inflation, low gasoline and energy prices, and good stock and housing markets. No, he does not control these issues, but his policies can and do influence them.
Stock market has made zero gains in 20 months. Yes, he gets credit for it. Unemployment has gone down 0.7% during his term. It was low when he took office and its low now. Big deal. Housing market is hurting. Gas is expensive and consumer prices are rising. What are you talking about?

Old 08-03-2019, 08:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009
People who have 1/10th the income I have drive newer cars, go on more exotic vacations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sorry to hear.
You post an article about a bunch of fiscally irresponsible adults, to support your assertion that people are struggling to remain in the middle class - and when someone posts that they are conservative in their spending habits, you mock them with a smart-@zz comment.

Your message is clear now. You think it's okay to spend like that...probably because you feel you deserve it....even if your income can't support your lifestyle.

Brilliant.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
There's a solution to this. Stop buying things you can't afford and start paying cash for things you can afford. You then, in turn, will be out of debt....
DING DING DING

By George I think he's got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies