Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 08:43 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Dems never voted to give free healthcare to illegals and fine American citizens to pay "outrageous Obamacare premiums". Where is it law that healthcare is free to non-U.S. citizens?
Where have you been the last 8 years? You know how many people I know of who couldn't afford Obamacare premiums so they got stuck paying the fine?

Thank God Trump got rid of the outrageous ACA mandate, so that's not in effect anymore.

Your Governor wants free healthcare for illegals.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/10/73131...umented-immigr

"The programs would be partially funded by tax dollars collected from fines paid by Californians who forego health insurance coverage."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Here's a hot take: This thread is not about Illinois. Try the Illinois forum for help with your question.
Read it again. Hopefully most Illinois people are smarter then you

Old 09-22-2019, 11:05 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Tough love may be appropriate for a child. But the analogy really ends there. All presidents should regard all the states with appropriate respect. In fact, presidents should make it clear that they are advocates for and supportive of all the people of the country, not just their "base." Trump has failed miserably at this. To me, he cares not at all for the people of the US. If they don't love him, they are useless.

Oh come on. Trump carries it to more of an extreme than other Presidents, but all Presidents, to one extent or another, are 'presidents of their base'. Obama said "Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won".

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ce_123650.html

Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
Trump always boils politics down to us and them, friends and enemies and red states versus blue states. California is just another punching bag and target of the kind of tribal warfare the President inflicts on this country.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As a Californian, I absolutely agree!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...o-our-country/
I lived in SoCal for 15 years and agree with Trump on this. Working Californians pay MORE than a dollar per gallon for gasoline. This is an issue that pulls the attention of most Californians. Along with the onerous property tax/income tax deducuctibility burden, this looks like a play to put California “in play” in their elections-a start anyway. I know Calif friends who I never would have thought of as Republicans express support for Repub policies. IMO, Trump’s actions are meant to move the needle since most Californians who knew about smog and coastal pollution probably weren’t even born yet when it was occurring prior to the anti-pollution legislation. Those same ppl feel a huge sense of relief when they drive to the Nevada border and experience what a lot of the rest of the country pays for gasoline.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:53 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Oh come on. Trump carries it to more of an extreme than other Presidents, but all Presidents, to one extent or another, are 'presidents of their base'. Obama said "Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won".

[/url]
You are illustrating my point. All presidents are the result of partisan elections, but most presidents try hard to unite the country, right from the get-go. Trump has never made any attempt. If anything, his favor goes more and more only to those who "love" him, and the rest of the country is useless, or a disgrace, or some other insult. Obama, in my opinion, tried too hard to get bipartisan solutions. That's why he made so many compromises. But it did him little good, because the Repubs weren't going to vote with him, no matter how much he surrendered. But back to the point about insulting people, you never heard Obama saying that X group or state was a disgrace. You never saw him calling any city "disgusting" or calling any country a "hellhole." Trump has no idea how to be a good president - or a good human being.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You are illustrating my point. All presidents are the result of partisan elections, but most presidents try hard to unite the country, right from the get-go. Trump has never made any attempt. If anything, his favor goes more and more only to those who "love" him, and the rest of the country is useless, or a disgrace, or some other insult. Obama, in my opinion, tried too hard to get bipartisan solutions. That's why he made so many compromises. But it did him little good, because the Repubs weren't going to vote with him, no matter how much he surrendered. But back to the point about insulting people, you never heard Obama saying that X group or state was a disgrace. You never saw him calling any city "disgusting" or calling any country a "hellhole." Trump has no idea how to be a good president - or a good human being.
Are you denying that some countries are hellholes?

Does this quote by Obama ring a bell?

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not".

"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations".

"https://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-smith/2008/04/obama-on-small-town-pa-clinging-to-religion-guns-xenophobia-007737

Old 09-23-2019, 11:19 PM

1,500 posts, read 887,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Where do you live with no homeless in coastal Ca? Unless it's a gated community that is highly improbable. Enjoy your low property taxes now because Newsome is coming after you.
I said no homeless in OUR. Streets...the streets we live on....multi million dollar homes..

Obviously homeless no where near us

As for property taxes..we still have Prop 13

Btw..13 miles from the ocean is not concerned coastal

Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Lots of things here that are definitely broken and need fixing. Certainly not perfect.

On the other hand, this state is the nations' economic engine and contributes more to this nation's economy than any other state - by far. More than almost all nations on Earth, in fact. So while it's no paradise, at least we're not some ****hole like West Virginia or much of the South which also has all the poverty on top of out of control meth epidemics AND are marginally relevant, economically speaking. Those places have no room to talk.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Anyone who has participated in this forum since Trump became POTUS has seen the answer to your question posted countless times in countless ways, so how can the question be asked yet again I wonder...

Surely the reason has nothing to do with the question not being answered countless times in countless ways. What then is the reason if anyone is really attempting any intelligent understanding of the Trump dynamic that has gripped America since Trump took office?
Been here since 2008 and I have no idea what you are talking about.

The job market is the best its been in my lifetime, incomes are rising faster than inflation for all income earners, no new wars, so its hard to take you seriously when you claim Trump is some sort of plague on the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies