Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:28 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

MODS -- Duplicate thread. Please delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:28 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
While I have no issue with Universal Background Checks, it would not have prevented most sensational mass shootings. The exception that comes to mind is the Charleston Church shooting whereby there was a breakdown in communication between the county court and the database.
Another exception was when a mass shooting could have been prevented if the police or military police (?) had made sure the Sutherland Springs shooter’s family violence conviction made it to the database.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:30 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right back at you. Why do you want to ban guns? What are you so afraid of?
I don't. I've been a gun owner for over 60 years, and worked as a gunsmith for four of those.

I have never been so terrified that I felt the need to carry a pistol, however. I carry a .22 Ruger SP101 when I go hunting or fishing, but that is more of a signal device than protection.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:31 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Really? What does an Antifa terrorist look like? Can you find an illustration for us of a member of Antifa in uniform, or maybe provide a link?

Also - why would an Antifa member write a xenophobic and racist manifesto? Antifa is anti-fascist, not anti-immigrant. Thanks for your answers in advance.
Antifa have nothing to do with this. Some just can't fathom the reality of what the person who did this look like. So, they want to share the blame instead so to speak. Doesn't matter that no one from the FBI, or local and state police have said anything about Antifa.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:31 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, many countries believe their citizens should not have tge right to resist government aggression.

Our founders experienced that first hand, and as a result, made us the guarantee we could.
Except you as a citizen has fallen way behind in the type of fire power your government/military has.

Unless you're hiding missiles, tanks, and thousands of troops in the local community centre.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:32 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
All the CCWs were protecting their own families.

They have no obligation to protect you, particularly when you don’t even care about protecting yourself or your family.
They were? And while protecting their families they allowed dozens of people to die when they could have stopped the carnage?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A good guy is any person who is not the bad guy.

Most good guys with guns, who aren't good guys working as police, carry to protect themselves and their families.

If you don't want to carry, that's your CHOICE.

The 2nd guarantees my right to carry, and I CHOOSE. To do so.

If you're ever in the scenario of a mass shooting, your only hope is that the police arrive before a bullet arrives in you.

My hope is that either the police arrive or tgat I can shoot him before he shoots me.

My odds would be better than yours.
How fast did the open carry guys in Texas lose " hope " before they ran?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Perhaps you should look around or google images for open carry in Texas.

Attachment 213303

Attachment 213304
From my understanding, the % of those with open/concealed license in Texas is relatively small... those that actually carry even smaller. Google images can confirm the existence of something happening but not necessarily prove how prevalent it is.

1.2 million conceal carry active permits in Texas (2017) in a state with a population of about 29 million. Open carry is even less.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/

Incidentally, FL and PA have more active concealed carry licenses than TX.

When I lived in Texas, I had a CHL and I supported it. Years after I left, I heard they passed open carry as well.... I wouldn't have supported that.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:35 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
At least only 9 people were slaughtered in this mass murder.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How about I help you out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas

I've never felt more safe than in a grocery store in AZ where multiple people were carrying. Too bad that wasn't the same in that WM.

It takes someone with a gun to stop a shooter.
Reportedly, 3000 people inside the Walmart when the shooting began. Seems a tad silly to think some of them were not armed.

No shortage of people in the crowds in Dallas were doing the Open Carry thing when gun fire broke out. In an instant, the armed made the best decision for themselves in the midst of chaos- run for their lives with everyone else. As it was, many perceived they were being chased by active shooters, increasing the perception of multiple shooters instead of a single mobile shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies