Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 06:54 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
People love to point to immigrants, but has anyone bothered to notice that it's mostly: white males, born in the U.S., ranging from 18 to 28, who tend to be the mass shooters when these things happen. Note the word "mostly."
There again you ignore that most "mass shootings" happen in the inner city with gang members.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A good guy with a gun stopped the church shooter who had plans to go elsewhere and shoot more people.
I believe you are incorrect. Which mass shooting at a church, mosque or synagogue are you referencing?

Old 08-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I believe you are incorrect. Which mass shooting at a church, mosque or synagogue are you referencing?
The one in Arkansas.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It is disturbing that all the mass shooters look just like me
Not an angry black m raan or Muslim extremist in the crowd
Is it something in the water?
https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/wh...aphics-part-2/

Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Simple-don't shoot innocent people. There is very little responsible people can do about irresponsible people over any issue.

It's kind of like asking what "responsible" women can do about prostitution.

We can also make it a point to carry as much as possible in order to stop a mass shooting in its tracks-but the odds of any individual being in a position to do so is about the same as being hit by lightning.

Armed police were on the scene in under a minute...by some reports within 30 seconds. “Think about that minute,” said Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley. “The shooter was able to kill nine people and injure 26 in less than a minute.”

The gun-permissiveness crowd wants us not to think about that minute. It puts the lie to the gun lobby’s claim that having armed people nearby when a mass killer strikes is all we need to keep us safe.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Speaking of incorrect.

Originally Posted by corpgypsy
So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

If I were in a conversation with someone who genuinely asked me this question, this is what I would say:

Join other Americans, if you have not already done so, and pledge to transform this latest national sorrow into effective action. Let's stop this horror from being normal in the USA.

Call on your legislators to take action to combat gun violence. Ask them to enact a ban on sales of military-style assault rifles, as well as high-capacity magazines.

Ask your legislators to make background checks mandatory.

Help other Americans remove these weapons of war from our streets. The only purpose of these instruments is to kill as many people as possible, and they are not needed to hunt or protect oneself, as responsible gun owners understand.

Ask the administration to convene a comprehensive study or panel on gun violence, one which includes a wide array of scientific expertise including those from medicine, law enforcement, the CDC etc.

Demand your legislators free themselves from the gun lobby.

Look for more solutions and consider those that may come from others, despite their political persuasion, because this American terror is not a partisan issue.

Support leaders who speak to the better angels of our nature and seek to unite America rather than divide it.

This shows that you know very little about guns.
Background checks are already mandatory.
Military "assault weapons" have been illegal since 1934.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:05 PM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
There again you ignore that most "mass shootings" happen in the inner city with gang members.
There again? I've never posted on this topic before.

According to the Mass Shootings in America database (Stanford Geospatial Center) a mass shooting is defined as:

- 3 fatal or nonfatal injuries (excluding shooter)
- location could be anywhere
- motivation of shooter is not identifiably related to gangs, drugs, or organized crime

Old 08-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The one in Arkansas.
26 people were killed and 20 wounded weren't they? The final report stated the murderer was shot twice by a bystander when he exited the church and fled in his sport utility until he crashed during a high-speed chase and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
I'll get slammed by responsible gun owners for my ignorance.

What is the reason to sell or own an AR Assault Rifles & or modified high capacity gun?

How do they benefit people in a civilized society knowing there's numerous deranged people out there?

If anyone is caught owning one or more of these guns, they should face immediate felony jail term, fine and jail + fine any and all housemates where the weapon was stored. People need to know who they live with. These weapons in the wrong hands kill too many innocent lives. Just like illegal drugs kill people, the dealers or companies are fined & imprisoned. These illegal weapon makers of said guns/rifles should adhere to the same punishment.
No, I am not a liberal millennial, just a common-sense. Jeez. the Vegas concert incident didn't change much. I guess they need 200+ to die like they did in Paris nightclub to maybe do something. These reactive do nothing lawmakers make me sick.

This would not make any news if it was the lone shooter firing at gang members. Instead he goes after innocent decent people.

Where does the U.S. stand in terms of most violent societies worldwide? Tens of thousands of people are murdered here each year. I don't need to hear the per capita numbers.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Mental health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies