Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the media be restricted when reporting mass murderers?
Yes. 18 28.57%
No. The 1st Amendment trumps a few dead children. 43 68.25%
I don’t know. 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:19 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

I am sick and tired of the murders and the media frenzy over mass murders.

We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety. The media reporting is feeding them precisely what they want and continuing to inspire more mass murderers.

And the disgusting media is feeding off the murderers to profit.

Restrict the media from reporting mass murderers and we can fix this problem one for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:30 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Why would you not report it. Delete the bistirds name - that’s all

Old 08-04-2019, 09:31 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety. The media reporting is feeding them precisely what they want and continuing to inspire more mass murderers.

Restrict the media from reporting mass murderers and we can fix this problem one for all.
Won’t change twisted minds. Sorry not in any crime.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
You must have read my posts lately lol. You can report there was a mass shooting, but you must not make the shooter known. Don’t use his name. Don’t give a nickname. Don’t release manifestos. Don’t immortalize them. Twisted people usually feel the world ignores them, this is why so many people are going out in a mass shooting.

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I thought of that and even mentioned it, but, you know, word will still get out via the victims family/friends, etc.
The name and anything to do with the shooter...YES. Won't probably be totally effective but might deter some of them if they know they won't get instant 'fame'

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yep. Stick to details of the actual incident but leave ALL identifying information on the shooter - his social media, “manifestos” etc out of the public. Let investigators use that evidence to investigate; the every-day public doesn’t need every detail brought to life on TV.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Yep. Stick to details of the actual incident but leave ALL identifying information on the shooter - his social media, “manifestos” etc out of the public. Let investigators use that evidence to investigate; the every-day public doesn’t need every detail brought to life on TV.
Agreed - I don't want to live in a country where reporting events is banned. You are right, the over saturation needs to stop, but prohibiting citizens from learning of the events is not the answer.

I haven't looked at the results your poll but the way you stated it is pretty slanted with respect to the "no" answer. How about "No, I still believe in the freedom of speech" or, simply, "No?"

Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes, that’s what restricted means.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:00 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
I would get on board with not showing their picture, not reporting their name. Don't give the sick creep the attention they wanted.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:00 AM

5,177 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Pol Pot, Mao, Hitler, and Stalin agree with you 100%. Freedom of the Press is a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies