Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

2 problems
1) 2nd Amendment is pretty clear. Love it or hate it.
2) Handguns only does not feed into the fantasies of a 5% to 10% fringe in this country hoping for armed civil insurrection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are all guns. Does one scare you more? Guess which one kills more people a year.
Good point, hand guns are usually deadlier up close, long guns from a distance (greater accuracy). They are only tools. The real danger is the human.

Ted Kennedy used a car, Cain used a rock, that guy in California used a knife, those 9-11 buttholes used planes. Typically, between 30 and 50 people in the US die from dog bites each year. In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for Health and Human Services said that bad hospital care contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:55 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Actually, I have in grocery stores in Phoenix. 3 in one store. One was a very attractive woman.
This doesn't surprise me. AZ is a strange place.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have never seen a person open carrying a rifle, hand gun, or any firearm in public unless it was at a gun range, and I have lived all over the U.S. in states that allow open carry.

Open carry state here and I think I've only seen it 2, maybe 3 times. People don't do it that often.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Open carry state here and I think I've only seen it 2, maybe 3 times. People don't do it that often.
Most people I know don't want the attention from either the well meaning that call the police at the sight of a gun, or the nefarious who want your gun, or will take you out first in a crime situation.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Apart from the fact that the overwhelming majority of gun related homicides in this country are committed via handgun, does anyone honestly think that banning long guns would stop mass shootings? If so, I have a bridge to sell you. You'd simply see nut cases switch over to handguns and they'd inflict similar mass carnage. The rifle happens to be the weapon of choice for many, but banning the rifle won't stop mass shootings. It just won't.

Handguns are easy to reload and you can cause mass casualties via that weapon, too.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:02 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
The only people carrying long guns in public places are those looking for a reaction and attention. Most avid gun nuts aren't going to bring unnecessary NEGATIVE attention to themselves or their fellow gun enthusiasts. Why rock the boat?

Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Please. You really think the gun toting populace could be effective against our current military? That ship has sailed into history.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
You do know, many handguns can be converted to fully automatic fire? Its illegal, but Im not sure that has stopped anyone.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:07 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
2 problems
1) 2nd Amendment is pretty clear. Love it or hate it.
2) Handguns only does not feed into the fantasies of a 5% to 10% fringe in this country hoping for armed civil insurrection.
So, the 2nd Amendment is not as clear as you or others make it out to be. I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd Amendment and want it to be more evenly implemented throughout the country, to include NYC and other resistant areas. But the question becomes what does "infringe" mean? Do you infringe on the right if you impose any and all kinds of gun control? Certainly not, as there was gun control at the time of the Amendment's adoption that the framers didn't think they were doing away with by passing the Amendment. For instance, most private citizens couldn't own cannons (also arms) at the time of the amendment. Also, at the founding, all but one state required citizens to register their firearms, among other restrictions. Source: Five types of gun laws the Founding Fathers loved

Fundamentally, "infringe" simply means to contravene, to impose so as to limit or undermine something, to encroach on something, etc. Those who take infringe to mean that no gun control can pass misread both the Amendment and the historical context in which the Amendment was adopted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies