Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I would say it's more about fear...at least on my end (but I'm insane so there's that).

Walmart is the government to people like me. They are one in the same. When you see a major corporation do this it's a de facto government restriction.

Now, can Team Red make this same proclamation?

No.

That's because they love corporations and don't think they are extensions/under the umbrella of government.
Man, put that Kool Aid down. This isn't a 'the sky is falling - who will be next' thread. It's a thread suggesting that Walmart is being hypocritical because they're no longer carrying guns but still carrying liquor. And that's not at all an apt comparison.

I don't understand why you're trying to change what the thread is about. Up too early today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How many people murder other people with alcohol? Is this some kind of pathetic attempt in justifying 30'000+ lives being lost every year in the US because of guns? You should be ashamed.
Even though your 30,000 number is wrong, I'll give you that, but Walmart sells items that contribute to far more deaths than a certain caliber firearm round.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
Quote:
Respecting private (in theory and theory only Walmart is private) property rights all of a sudden?

Did a tree fall down and hit you in the beard?

I am not the one having a cow over Walmart's decision. As a matter of act I have never followed any boycott.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The purpose of alcohol is not to kill some one. Guns serve only one purpose. To kill. If you do make the analogy of guns to alcohol why not have the equivalent of dram shop laws. If a liquor establishment can be held liable for serving you too much booze so should a gun dealer and manufacturer be held liable for selling guns to those that abuse them. Just like an adult can go to jail for serving alcohol to minors, an adult should go jail if their gun is used in a crime. We should allow counties and even states to go "dry". Maybe we should make gun laws just like alcohol laws after all and guns should be as highly regulated as alcohol.
Regardless of what the design is for, it still takes an end user to determine what it's use is for.

Some choose to provide food for their families.
Some choose it as a hobby and put holes in paper targets
Some choose them as defense tools

I just never can get the mentality that doesn't cast the blame where it should be. Here is a curious thing though, when a cop shoots someone by mistake , why doesn't the gun get the blame ?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When was the last time someone took a bottle of wine to a public place and kill a bunch of people with it???

We are ok with people killing themselves. It's their choice.

We're not ok with one person making the choice for them.

Maybe we should make murder illegal ?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
you've never heard of a person being killed by a drunk driver? Seriously?
I think the number is something like 10k people a year die, due to drunk driving. 37k , a year die driving.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
When people stop drinking alcohol is when they will stop selling it.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Man, put that Kool Aid down. This isn't a 'the sky is falling - who will be next' thread. It's a thread suggesting that Walmart is being hypocritical because they're no longer carrying guns but still carrying liquor. And that's not at all an apt comparison.

I don't understand why you're trying to change what the thread is about. Up too early today?
I'm always up this early. I either run 10 miles now (today will be later) or start making phone calls for work. As you can see I've decided to make calls hence my pleasant mood.

But you said

Quote:
I get that you're mad at Walmart but if you have an emergency where you need to run in and get a gun while picking up some Excedrin and cat litter, isn't there someplace nearby you can stop and shop for weapons?
On that point I'd say since the government isn't exactly a friend to freedom of association, freedom of movement, and anything under capitalism's umbrella when a product gets restricted via government (and to me Walmart is the gov so this is a gov restriction) its worrisome.

And the mom & pop stores that don't sell Excedrin and cat litter but exclusively sell guns have been struggling with Walmart's proliferation.

Bob's Guns R Us doesn't exactly get the financial breaks, infrastructure advantages, and go downright write the laws it has to follow like Walmart does.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The purpose of alcohol is not to kill some one. Guns serve only one purpose. To kill.
Killing people isn't always a bad thing, there are quite a few people who just need killing. These recent killers have all been stopped with guns, those were very good things.

Quote:
If you do make the analogy of guns to alcohol why not have the equivalent of dram shop laws. If a liquor establishment can be held liable for serving you too much booze so should a gun dealer and manufacturer be held liable for selling guns to those that abuse them. Just like an adult can go to jail for serving alcohol to minors, an adult should go jail if their gun is used in a crime. We should allow counties and even states to go "dry". Maybe we should make gun laws just like alcohol laws after all and guns should be as highly regulated as alcohol.
It's already a federal offense to buy firearms for other people, minors or not. It's already a crime to use a firearm while committing a crime. We already have cities in this country that are essentially "dry" and people still commit crimes, with or without guns. Guns are already much more regulated than alcohol is, whether you're talking about manufacturing, purchasing or handling.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:03 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
I'm always up this early. I either run 10 miles now (today will be later) or start making phone calls for work. As you can see I've decided to make calls hence my pleasant mood.

But you said

On that point I'd say since the government isn't exactly a friend to freedom of association, freedom of movement, and anything under capitalism's umbrella when a product gets restricted via government (and to me Walmart is the gov so this is a gov restriction) its worrisome.

And the mom & pop stores that don't sell Excedrin and cat litter but exclusively sell guns have been struggling with Walmart's proliferation.

Bob's Guns R Us doesn't exactly get the financial breaks, infrastructure advantages, and go downright write the laws it has to follow like Walmart does.

The point of my post is this - be mad at Walmart but don't pretend they should also ban liquor or they're being hypocrites.

And stop running. It's only going to prolong your life and since you feel like a slave, you'll only be miserable for a longer period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies