Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
OR you could bring endlessly reusable hemp bags.
I've been using mine for 10+ years.

You realized the ocean habitat is being destroyed because of discarded plastic that takes hundreds of years to break down right?
And the rest of it is going to landfill. How long do you think we can keep producing plastic and burying it hmmm?
Yet zero action against the handful of countries that contribute over 90% to this ocean plastic waste.

As I previously stated, I will take this seriously when the gov and advocates actually start taking real steps towards this "issue", such as sanctions, bans, etc, against the mass contributors of ocean plastic waste. Unless that happens, everything else in my opinion is just pure BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet zero action against the handful of countries that contribute over 90% to this ocean plastic waste.

As I previously stated, I will take this seriously when the gov and advocates actually start taking real steps towards this "issue", such as sanctions, bans, etc, against the mass contributors of ocean plastic waste. Unless that happens, everything else in my opinion is just pure BS.

In other words, because nobody else is doing anything, you're not doing anything.

So if everyone takes the same attitude as you, we just continue to pollute the planet.
It's called being the bigger person, doing the right thing, being a responsible adult, caring about the environment you live in.

It requires absolutely no effort to bring your own shopping bags to the supermarket. None.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,275,428 times
I use fabric bags because the handles are more comfortable for my senior citizen hands. My pet peeve is that most bags are so big. When full, I have trouble lifting them.

The local Dollar General Store once had a bunch of half size bags for sale. I bought about half of them. I wish I have been greedy and bought all of them. Haven't seen any since.

My milk, coffee creamers and similar bottles go into a bag designed for wine. It is sturdy and the bottles fit nicely.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:24 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
I don't understand why people care about plastic all of the sudden. They didn't care 20 years ago. Just reuse the bags!

Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
In other words, because nobody else is doing anything, you're not doing anything.

So if everyone takes the same attitude as you, we just continue to pollute the planet.
It's called being the bigger person, doing the right thing, being a responsible adult, caring about the environment you live in.

It requires absolutely no effort to bring your own shopping bags to the supermarket. None.
I have been using reusable bags for over 20 years, it is not a new thing (Soviets for example did it during their entire existence), so you can drop your pompousness attitude.

Fact is this stuff and others will do absolutely zero regarding the issue, zero, zilch, nothing. It is not even worth addressing and modifying any action by you, me, others, without addressing the fact a handful of SE Asian countries contribute over 90% of the ocean plastic waste. Until I see the US gov, Western governments, and other advocates start advocating actions against these countries, to include sanctions, bans, etc, to curb their plastic waste, then I will not take any of this discussion seriously, and you all are just debating to feel good and made asinine statements like you did in your post?

You feel great about your post above? Good ole pat on the back? Feel you did something? guess what, you did not do anything, nothing, but yet got the golden halo as if walking around and actually contributed something, lol.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
I don't understand why people care about plastic all of the sudden. They didn't care 20 years ago. Just reuse the bags!
They do not care, just as they not care about plastic straws. it is the "en vogue" thing to do right now.

They would not dare do anything that actually encroached on their lifestyle though in any significant way, they just hop on the latest bandwagon. I love asking them "why were you not doing this ten years ago?" Oh, they did not know how harmful it was, even though things like this plastic stuff has been blasted for decades how bad for the environment it is.

Just the bandwagon thing, that is all it is.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
It's like the people who proudly bought Hummers or "roll coal" by making their cars or trucks dirtier. They have never been taught about Civil Society and frugality....they want to be selfish and stick it in others face.

It's not pretty. So many of the actions of the right these days seem at 8th grade level.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I have been using reusable bags for over 20 years, it is not a new thing (Soviets for example did it during their entire existence), so you can drop your pompousness attitude.

Fact is this stuff and others will do absolutely zero regarding the issue, zero, zilch, nothing. It is not even worth addressing and modifying any action by you, me, others, without addressing the fact a handful of SE Asian countries contribute over 90% of the ocean plastic waste. Until I see the US gov, Western governments, and other advocates start advocating actions against these countries, to include sanctions, bans, etc, to curb their plastic waste, then I will not take any of this discussion seriously, and you all are just debating to feel good and made asinine statements like you did in your post?

You feel great about your post above? Good ole pat on the back? Feel you did something? guess what, you did not do anything, nothing, but yet got the golden halo as if walking around and actually contributed something, lol.

Ever heard of a forum? We're here for discussion unless you havent noticed. I feel about as good about typing my post as you feel about typing your asinine post. See how that works?

Old 09-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
They do not care, just as they not care about plastic straws. it is the "en vogue" thing to do right now.

They would not dare do anything that actually encroached on their lifestyle though in any significant way, they just hop on the latest bandwagon. I love asking them "why were you not doing this ten years ago?" Oh, they did not know how harmful it was, even though things like this plastic stuff has been blasted for decades how bad for the environment it is.

Just the bandwagon thing, that is all it is.
Who is they?
Oh you must mean the anonymous people on the internet who you have never met or know anything about, but apparently intimately know everything about every detail of their lives for the last few decades.

Good grief.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
I am certainly old enough to remember paper bags, and also "Manhattan cars" shopping carts. Something leaks in your paper bag? Bottom falls out and all your groceries fall on the ground. Those Manhattan cars? Yeah, used them but they weren't just piled up with groceries without some kind of bags inside of them. Small items would fall out between the slots.

Reusable bags? I have seen some very disgusting looking reusable bags. Wash them, or THROW THEM OUT and buy new ones. $200 dollars worth of groceries? How many reusable bags would that be? Oh, just put my cleaning products in same bag as my produce? Very healthy. I once stood online ahead of woman with multiple reusable bags. This one is for my produce. This one is for my meat. This one is for my cleaning products. Both the cashier, and I, were ready to smack her with how long this took.

So I am going to have to go out and buy "poop bags" for my cats? Are they biodegrable too? How about all the food storage plastic bags I buy to freeze my foods in? If I freeze chili in one, I am supposed to wash out all that sauce to reuse it again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies