Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I can't believe you don't remember when paper bags were bad as they destroyed our forests. Maybe you are just too young!
I personally think we need to move away from plastic or at least come up with a compound that degenerates over a reasonable amount of time. I would have no problems if they eliminated plastic bags. You see them blowing all over the landscape, along the side of the road, even struck up in trees.
Oh and by the way, I am no radical Lefty either!
Nobody is cutting down forests to make paper bags. Trees for paper pulp are a crop like any other crop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Go ahead and ban them, I'll just go back to flinging the cats poo over the neighbors fence rather than scooping it into repurposed plastic bags
What a lovely neighbor you are.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What a lovely neighbor you are.

It was a joke son

Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
It was a joke son
I'm nobody's son, son.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Go ahead and ban them, I'll just go back to flinging the cats poo over the neighbors fence rather than scooping it into repurposed plastic bags
My curmudgeonly neighbor actually does this. It is his neighbor’s cat’s poop.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nobody is cutting down forests to make paper bags. Trees for paper pulp are a crop like any other crop.
Not true.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Heaven forbid that anyone empower themselves and use bags they already possess. No, people prefer whining about the impositions laid upon them by others. More satisfying and easier to complain about being victimized. I bought several large cotton canvas bags probably 30 years ago at some supermarket. Use them constantly. Kept right next to the car keys. Once in a while I wonder how many disposable bags (paper and plastic) they've zero'd out in all that time.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I stopped at the gas station last week and it's ice dispenser was broken. I guess I should have put that up on facebook, maybe started a vigil or street protest?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
If they can still make toilet paper, they can make paper bags too! The only use I really have for plastic bags is that they are ideal for the "end product" of my cat's litter box. I'll adjust to using paper bags for litter -if the time comes.

Any grocery store which charges for a paper bag should know that I'll refuse to pay for the $200 worth of groceries that are now on the checkout counter belt. Bye ...see ya' wouldn't want to be ya'!

For most of my life, the stores provided paper bags and double-bagged anything slightly wet or heavy. There's nothing wrong with that! Most large paper companies own tracts of land with renewable forests of trees suited for the purpose of paper and cardboard production.

I'd buy reusable bags but even Consumer Reports has said that many wind up as germ factories unless they are frequently washed. Food poisoning to save the environment is not a good tradeoff! Paper ...please!

Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I stopped at the gas station last week and it's ice dispenser was broken. I guess I should have put that up on facebook, maybe started a vigil or street protest?
How many times have we stopped at gas stations, bought gas and then been told (when asked) that the restroom is broken? or not for Customers? At one time back when I stopped buying gas in CT. because they did that to us so many times (traveling salesmen or ski people)!!!!

Luckily, the free market kicked in and finally all these places got the hint.

In a sense there was protest about it, but in a different way. I once got really pissed at one of my managers for putting a "no public allowed" sign on a restroom door. I "protested" by taking it off and telling them why.

We really never knew the interweb was going to make this "I'm so important" thing happen to this degree. Maybe that is because many of us pioneers didn't think in that manner.

I think it will eventually pass when all these people figure out the truth - THEY ARE NOT IMPORTANT. And either am I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies