Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
You should have been around in 1968. That was some scary sh$#.
Yeah, but the music was good.

Probably, next to 1932 the worst year in the 20th century for America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 06:40 PM

628 posts, read 663,601 times
Demographics. Without any vote or referendum this country was forced to change in a way normally only seen during invasions. In 1960 we were 90% white with a our own national culture. Now we are a mishmash of incompatable ethnicities and religions. We are no longer a nation. We are a free trade zone unified solely on consumerism.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I take you're white, male, heterosexual, middle-class, pretty vanilla, etc.? Otherwise things in "the good old days" wouldn't be so nice for you.
I always hear arguments like this.

Female happiness has declined over the last forty years. They've traded support networks for careers. Good for many, less good for most.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...till-declining

This atomization of society has affected everyone. I think it's better to commiserate with others in our fractured internet society when they express something heartfelt, rather than label and divide others.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:42 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default I hear you but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?

If you love iron lungs, small pox, vaccine-less medicine, world wars, atmospheric testing of hydrogen bombs, women treated like second class citizens, the KKK, the Colored Bar, etc. go on back in your "WAY BACK MACHINE" to a simpler time.

For me, I love to flash ahead to the future and see what those women who are my objects of desire, look like 30 years from now.

Always go ahead; NEVER go back.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:45 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Because, of course, that was a different time when most U.S. residents were Euro-white (plain vanilla, if you prefer). It was a more cohesive time when most people, for the most part, had the same culture -- with regional differences, of course.

Now, of course, it was NOT a great time if you were not Euro-white and at least working class (blue collar or white collar), but if you were part of the prevailing culture -- yeah, it was pretty great for the most part.

(And, yes, I know that many Euro-whites would disagree with the above, based on their individual circumstances -- but if you did grow up up in a middle-class non-dysfunctional family in a suburb or small town and if you were Euro-white, heterosexual and Christian, it WAS pretty wonderful.)

Anyway, that time is gone and won't be back, so we -- speaking as a senior whose family did fit the prevailing culture of the 50's, 60's and 70's -- can either choose to accept (and possibly even be happy about) the diversity that is part of the U.S. culture now, or we can be bitter about it.

P.S. And, yes, I know that many women my age (and younger) say that it wasn't so great for women, but many women were very happy and content being "housewives and mothers". Of course, it goes without saying, that many women weren't happy and content not having much of a life outside their home and community.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,124,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
Because People started thinking it was ok to waiver from biologically correct sexuality, murdering babies and anything goes mentality

No morals

Old 09-29-2019, 06:53 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,058 times
Turn off social media and the media. Buy some land and get away from the rat race. Good way to reset and stay healthy.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I always hear arguments like this.

Female happiness has declined over the last forty years. They've traded support networks for careers. Good for many, less good for most.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...till-declining

This atomization of society has affected everyone. I think it's better to commiserate with others in our fractured internet society when they express something heartfelt, rather than label and divide others.
I'm not sure about all such data....remember, the same people (shrinks, etc.) said gay was a disease and 100's of other things NOT a disease, etc. etc.....same with regular medicine. An addict is now a disease as is a fat person.

Anecdotal evidence (my relations, looking around, etc.) does not support the idea that Females, in total, are worse off or unhappier today then in 1965, 1975, etc.

Dig a little into "straight" culture in the burbs we lived in and I remember just among some friends...
1. Wow, one mom was divorced...in fact two. One was rumored to be a prostitute (likely not true).
2. Another friends mom disappeared one day - to the looney bin.
3. Another relations family only found out later that Dad had a separate family in addition to them "on the side".

Couple the usual problems with the fact that many women were not yet fully integrated into the workforce...so someone unlucky enough to be homely or diseased or otherwise might have the choice of....just about nothing! Maybe being a schoolteacher or living with a sister or two.

I don't buy it. More people are unhappy because we have more people. Also, mass consumerism (which was started to make us GREAT) is responsible for much of the current malice. The "high" from having a house, car and dishwasher wears off....

Don't worry. People are working on the state of the world and the country and it's mostly good.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:03 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
BTW, for those complaining about the political state of things (namely the democrats) and thinking it was better 50 or 70 years ago ...

... did those people not know that democrats dominated US politics from FDR until the 80's?

In fact, democrats controlled both houses of congress for the entirety of the 50's and 60's, except for 2 years (the 83rd congress in 1953-55):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_through_90th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies