Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

Change the privacy and data collection laws, of lack of, for a start.

I don't know what you do about the isolation and lack of community. People do not feel secure or happy even if they have stuff and conveniences. I think we kind of sold our soul for cheap trinkets and technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Question. If you don’t trust the government to provide healthcare, why do you think the government will be so successful at enforcing Christianity?
The government never enforced Christianity and it never should. Christian belief cannot be forced by government. We as a country need to return to traditional values and constitutional principles. We as people need to return to God and repent of our sinful ways.

And yes all the radicals need to be rebuked.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:32 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The only way the Republican Party is going to force gays back into the closet, women back into the kitchen, teacher-led prayer/Bible studies back into public school, and everyone back into church whether they want to be there or not is by dropping the hammer. I'm very worried that we are headed towards a French Revolution type situation in this country, with the primary divide being between those who want to preserve democracy and those who believe we need a totalitarian theocracy to "cleanse" the sin from our society and keep people in line.

Conservatives like to paint those who support policies like gay marriage, abortion, separation of church and state, legal marijuana, etc are radicals that need to be eliminated or silenced, but in reality all of those are supported by a majority of Americans.

What you are advocating is technically tyranny by the minority. Democrats are on the side of democracy, even though conservatives believe and say otherwise.
What you’re talking about would be the opposite of the French Revolution and more like the Iranian revolution of 1979.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:35 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'd like to see those studies.. link?

edit...

Ah found one as I scanned reverse in this thread.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...till-declining

I think as opportunity widens, as it has for women (a good thing), it is very easy to define one's self (and thus happiness) with successes; looks, accomplishments, money .. etc.. .. furthering with comparison to other's looks, accomplishments, money etc... Doing so makes happiness a carrot on a stick scenario that is hard to achieve and easily to disappoint. I'm guilty of this... and I think men in the competitive workforce have been learning to deal with this for decades.
There are some problems with taking that Paradox of Declining Female Happiness study at face value. Their conclusions did not go as far as saying for sure WHY this was showing in their study. Instead they discussed a few different possible factors.

Happiness as a concept is vague and subjective. Even if you try to narrow it down... a job, relationship, children, whatever, it's still not all that concrete.

Also, it's finally been coming to a place where it's even truly acceptable to admit you're not all that happy. Think about the stigma still on mental issues like depression. Over the timespan, it could have been as simple as women being more honest (with themselves and others) about how they were doing.

Who knows what the real situation is. I just don't think it's as simple as "The women's rights movement wrecked everything" like some (general) like to portray. There are a lot more factors going on.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM

661 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavengerfort View Post
Lol what? Obama set back race relations decades.

I wish we were back on the 70s
I was born in 1991 though, the 90s were still great but the thing that sucked was I was just a small kid and not a young adult during that time. There are a lot of times where I can relate to being born in the "wrong decade". There are many people who are now waking up (and speculatively even a subsection of the teen/18-24 youth generation) but there is still a long way to go, if we might even see it come to actual fruition at all. Pop culture was still relatively good and not everyone was glued just to their phones either.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You have no idea what it’s like to grow up in a community dominated by religious nut jobs. Comparatively, the “snowflakes” are a minor nuisance, like Ska music.

I think that's backwards if we are talking about today. The religious nuts have become neutered and marginalized completely irrelevant. The argument might have fit more during the 70s to the 90s but not anymore.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:44 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
I'm a 33 year old millennial, and a Black man. I something think about going back a few decades. And then I consider how much harder my life would be as a Black man. Complain all you want about me bringing up race. It's something I have to think about. When my parents were born, Jim Crow and legalized racial discrimination were deeply entrenched in society. I have no reason to go back to those days, and I'm threatened by anyone who would want to go back to the days of when our parents and grandparents were born.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The government never enforced Christianity and it never should. Christian belief cannot be forced by government. We as a country need to return to traditional values and constitutional principles. We as people need to return to God and repent of our sinful ways.

And yes all the radicals need to be rebuked.
People like you are dangerous.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What is coming will make 1968 look like Eisenhower’s 50’s or Reagan’s 80s. The mass division in our nation is irreconcilable and dangerous beyond belief. What is coming could end up looking like 1862.The radicalism on the left is driving this nation towards the abyss, people need to wake up and see what is happening. Our democracy and our nation itself are at risk. We need to step back and re dedicate ourselves to our capitalist principles, our traditional values and the constitution. Most of all we need to return to God. We must rebuke the radicals and send them back under the rocks from which they crawled. If we allow the radicals to gain power this nation will likely burn.

Where is this "all-loving God" then? Why is he just letting our whole nation and the people in it whether good or bad, burn down?

Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I always hear arguments like this.

Female happiness has declined over the last forty years. They've traded support networks for careers. Good for many, less good for most.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...till-declining

This atomization of society has affected everyone. I think it's better to commiserate with others in our fractured internet society when they express something heartfelt, rather than label and divide others.
Been that way for 50 years. Somebody did a study years ago.. Happiest, married men, then single women, single men, most unhappy, married women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies