Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 08:29 AM

669 posts, read 321,303 times

Advertisements

To me, decades ago is the 1980s! My childhood. That was the best times. It was still like the days of old, but with modern conveniences for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 09:14 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
Don't despair, and for sure don't believe those who'll tell you how everything used to be better.

I was born in the 1960s, with a Soviet Union in full swing and a Cold War that was quite hot. That was fun, let me tell you - the idea that one mistake was all that it would take to get the warheads flying, and that everyone walked around 30 minutes from the end of the world. That's to say nothing of the needless suffering of those living under that regime, nor the other problems of the era - no one gave anything but lip service to the environment, we had to freakin' raise our voices to get legislation passed to keep people from destroying the ozone layer because spray cans were so convenient, acid rain was a thing, and everybody smoked indoors.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

I was born in the 1960s, with a Soviet Union in full swing and a Cold War that was quite hot. That was fun, let me tell you - the idea that one mistake was all that it would take to get the warheads flying, and that everyone walked around 30 minutes from the end of the world. That's to say nothing of the needless suffering of those living under that regime, nor the other problems of the era - no one gave anything but lip service to the environment, we had to freakin' raise our voices to get legislation passed to keep people from destroying the ozone layer because spray cans were so convenient, acid rain was a thing, and everybody smoked indoors.
Well, what has changed from then to now?

We are STILL living under the threat of being nuked (or being the victims of an EMP caused by another country); we STILL have many people living in poverty, not only in other countries, but right here in the U.S.; and the pollution is STILL bad (but just not as bad, I think).

The only thing that you listed that is much better today is the decrease in smoking -- although I could come up with a long list of things that are better now than they were then (mostly in the areas of tolerance of people who are not part of the majority in some way).

However, everything being considered, I still think that things were MUCH better fifty years ago -- but that is only because, as I said before, that I was part of the majority. I am sure that I would have a much different view if I had been poor, black, and/or homosexual, for example!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
At 27 you don’t know the terrible injustices that were happening at that time- as a woman - H no!!

Old 09-30-2019, 11:14 AM

510 posts, read 449,580 times
Default Globalization is the real issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Really. The 1990s were great. Clinton's troubles and corruption weren't as bad as Trump's. The country was never the same after 9/11.
Clinton was the democratic "yes" man for corporate america's NAFTA agreement and as a result the United States became a country dependent on globalization.

It was the beginning of the political selling out of the working and middle class by politicians for global corporate power and global wealth of which all incumbent politicians have financial interests.

The main reason that fellow politicians are upset with trump winning is that it has upset the continuation of their plan.

The existing political fight is not between democrats and republicans. It's between wealthy vs all other social classes.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 AM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
“My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.” -- Forrest Gump

Back in those glorious days of the past there was no box of chocolates. One's options in life were much more narrowly defined. Women were expected to do one of a handful of things...stay home, teach school, be a nurse, maybe a secretary. I recall going to a public university and women students could not wear slacks on campus during the daylight hours. Blacks were expected to adhere to the norms and not overreach their allotted roles. Everyone was expected to conform to the standard expectations and those that didn't were kicked to the curb or were labelled in some derogatory fashion. Jews were not allowed in certain places. Only the privileged class had options -- white males could do almost anything they wanted as long as they loosely conformed or went through the motions. Being Gay was not an option and was mostly off the radar of most people.

People who want to go back to those days either never experienced what it was like or see themselves in that privileged group and long for the time when they had undisputed control over social behavior. Things like unbreathable air or undrinkable water, polio and iron lungs, bomb drills and air raid shelters, and widespread prejudice based on religion as well as race are glossed over and ignored.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
You've been watching too many old sitcoms.

Would you like to have children die of simple things like measles? Or be restricted in who you're allowed to marry (especially interracially)? Or have to do nuclear bomb drills at school? Or be forcibly shipped to be blown up and maimed in hellholes around the world?

You've taken it for granted how much better life is now in so many ways. Even world hunger in the poorest countries has drastically decreased.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 09-30-2019 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Many studies have been done that have proved level of happiness for women today is a at a low compared with previous decades.
I'd like to see those studies.. link?

edit...

Ah found one as I scanned reverse in this thread.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...till-declining

I think as opportunity widens, as it has for women (a good thing), it is very easy to define one's self (and thus happiness) with successes; looks, accomplishments, money .. etc.. .. furthering with comparison to other's looks, accomplishments, money etc... Doing so makes happiness a carrot on a stick scenario that is hard to achieve and easily to disappoint. I'm guilty of this... and I think men in the competitive workforce have been learning to deal with this for decades.

Last edited by usayit; 10-01-2019 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'd like to see those studies.. link?
Try google: https://www.google.com

Old 10-01-2019, 07:38 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well duh.. ... I did. I'm specifically interested in the studies YOU found interesting. Don't need to be like that.. you mention studies, you'd better be ready to link them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies