Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 04:48 PM

8,405 posts, read 3,011,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The vast majority of African-Americans, regardless of where they live, have southern roots. A majority of America's African-American population lives in the South. Most African-Americans view the Confederate flag (and anything honoring Confederates) as a symbol of racism. Ever ask why that is? And come up with something more truthful than "Blacks are brainwashed" or "it's about victimhood". Those two talking points are disingenuous and a cop out.
I’m European American and I fly that pretty flag alongside my U.S. flag and don’t care what anyone else thinks about it. I consider anything BLM a symbol of racism. To each his own.

11,403 posts, read 4,106,666 times
Who cares?

If racists want to "hold onto their heritage" by keeping the name of a traitor and treasonous scumbag that LOST a war, fine.

Keep flying your confederate flags and telling everyone that you're not racist.

9,897 posts, read 3,447,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point was this. You said you didn't pay attention. I don't understand how that would be. Whether you were ra ra or not, your school seal was somewhere and you'd see it at some time in your high school years. Even if you barely knew what the mascot was, you had to have heard about it. You mentioned your diploma had a Confederate flag on it. That tells me your high school mascot was likely the Rebel. Mine was not. Mine did not have a Confederate flag on it. My high school mascot had nothing to do with the Confederacy. Neither did the school seal. And I went to school in Georgia.
My HS mascot was the Rebel. The band played Dixie at football games.

I hated my high school, and went to a vo-tech my senior year.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,717,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its sort of weird. The confederacy lasted a very short period, but there is a huge pro-confederacy thing going on. And its not even the ideals of the confederacy, its more of a .....this is us, we're seperate....but not quite thing.

And its not a racism thing like many accuse yall of. I mean...yes it absolutely 100% is for some folks, but its not for the majority.
No, the majority of people who know history know the point for setting up a confederacy was very much about race. It was about southern states' rights to protect and keep slavery of blacks.

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I’m European American and I fly that pretty flag alongside my U.S. flag and don’t care what anyone else thinks about it. I consider anything BLM a symbol of racism. To each his own.
Well, flying the Confederate flag tells me that you aren't any better than the BLM that you're against.

8,405 posts, read 3,011,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Who cares?

If racists want to "hold onto their heritage" by keeping the name of a traitor and treasonous scumbag that LOST a war, fine.

Keep flying your confederate flags and telling everyone that you're not racist.
Thanks! I will. :-)

Love the reactions it gets.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:51 PM

4,257 posts, read 2,566,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Not from the south are you? You would have to be from the south to understand it. Seriously.

Also having the nickname Rebels and singing a song about the south isn't "supporting the confederacy". I love hearing Dixie being played, its one of my ringtones on my phone, I sing it whenever I hear it being played. Its a southern heritage thing, much like the National Anthem may bring some folks to tears or make their heart beat faster Dixie does the same for me and MILLIONS of southerners.
I am a southerner, my family goes way back, and I don' get it. They were traitors who lost while trying to establish a slave society. Their four years of treason cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of young men and an estimated 50,000 civilians. It took 100 years to recover and we are still in VA finding live ordnance; a man was blown to bits about 10 years ago from one.

It might be fun to romanticize it, but its not reality and it certainly is spitting on those who were slaves and their decendents.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:53 PM

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
My HS mascot was the Rebel. The band played Dixie at football games.

I hated my high school, and went to a vo-tech my senior year.
My high school mascot wasn't the Rebel. I'm thankful for that. I hated my highs school too (I actually hated where I lived).

Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 PM

19,948 posts, read 9,511,488 times
Just a general question for anyone who lives in the south or who has lived there for at least six months within the last few years:

Are a great many white people in the South still "fighting the Civil War"?

They were still doing that, it seemed to me, when I lived in Montgomery, Alabama for eight months in 1973, (To a Yankee like me, it seemed like eight YEARS in hell.) Overt racism was very much on display (not "just" subtle racism). I could give you a half-dozen examples, but I would think that things would have changed in the past 47 years. Maybe not.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-14-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,208,448 times
Meh. No real culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies