Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 02:35 PM

5,090 posts, read 2,300,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well all this is is a tradition. A long standing mascot and school fight song. It is not a huge pro-confederacy thing. Most likely many maybe the majority of these students and teachers and staff have deep roots in the south, ancestors who fought and died in the war, farms that were destroyed, loved ones lost, lively hoods destroyed, etc. Perhaps they just want to hold on to their identity/history as southerners which has nothing to do with being separate or racism any more than immigrants may want to hold on to their heritage, a symbol, a song, a recipe. That does not mean they wish to be separate or are racist.
This is a nice explanation. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:06 PM

73,222 posts, read 62,905,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
https://www.wvlt.tv/2020/10/14/tenne...linked-mascot/

Bravo to that school for refusing to bow to the cultural marxists and their cancel culture. Don't like it? Then either move to a different school district or home school!
well, if I ever have kids, that is one school I'm never sending my kids.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:09 PM

33,601 posts, read 18,248,362 times
Quote:
Not from the south are you? You would have to be from the south to understand it. Seriously.

Also having the nickname Rebels and singing a song about the south isn't "supporting the confederacy". I love hearing Dixie being played, its one of my ringtones on my phone, I sing it whenever I hear it being played. Its a southern heritage thing, much like the National Anthem may bring some folks to tears or make their heart beat faster Dixie does the same for me and MILLIONS of southerners.
I am from up north and love Dixie.. it is all Americana.. we are one nation , under God. God bless us all.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well all this is is a tradition. A long standing mascot and school fight song. It is not a huge pro-confederacy thing. Most likely many maybe the majority of these students and teachers and staff have deep roots in the south, ancestors who fought and died in the war, farms that were destroyed, loved ones lost, lively hoods destroyed, etc. Perhaps they just want to hold on to their identity/history as southerners which has nothing to do with being separate or racism any more than immigrants may want to hold on to their heritage, a symbol, a song, a recipe. That does not mean they wish to be separate or are racist.
The vast majority of African-Americans, regardless of where they live, have southern roots. A majority of America's African-American population lives in the South. Most African-Americans view the Confederate flag (and anything honoring Confederates) as a symbol of racism. Ever ask why that is? And come up with something more truthful than "Blacks are brainwashed" or "it's about victimhood". Those two talking points are disingenuous and a cop out.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am from up north and love Dixie.. it is all Americana.. we are one nation , under God. God bless us all.
I live in the South and I hate all things associated with the Confederacy. I like certain aspects of southern culture. I don't identify with anything "Dixie".

Old 10-14-2020, 03:16 PM

26,132 posts, read 19,080,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Call themselves Americans but still support the Confederacy

Make it make sense for me
And you lefties call yourselves Americans and "support" authoritarian collectivism, right?

The thing you people do not understand is that unless there is some law being broken, we are all free to "support" pretty much anything we wish to be a fanboy/fangirl of. We are free to harbor any opinion we wish, again, assuming we are not breaking any laws or violating the rights of others. I can be a huge fan of the Byzantine Empire or the Visgoths or the Han Dynasty of China... or the CSA... and still be American no matter how much it pizzes you off. Hell, how many communists do we have in this country who still call themselves Americans? About half, it seems.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:16 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,448,831 times
My high school diploma has Confederate flags on it, lol.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
My high school diploma has Confederate flags on it, lol.
Mine does not. I'm thankful that my high school mascot had nothing to do with Confederates. Sadly, I had the misfortune of going to a school where alot of kids liked wearing Confederate flag t-shirts.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Not from the south are you? You would have to be from the south to understand it. Seriously.

Also having the nickname Rebels and singing a song about the south isn't "supporting the confederacy". I love hearing Dixie being played, its one of my ringtones on my phone, I sing it whenever I hear it being played. Its a southern heritage thing, much like the National Anthem may bring some folks to tears or make their heart beat faster Dixie does the same for me and MILLIONS of southerners.
A majority of African-Americans are southerners. In fact, more African-Americans live in the South than anywhere else in America. Most African-Americans have southern roots regardless of where they live. A majority of African-Americans look at the Confederate flag with disdain, as a symbol of racism. Ask yourself why that is.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:37 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,448,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Mine does not. I'm thankful that my high school mascot had nothing to do with Confederates. Sadly, I had the misfortune of going to a school where alot of kids liked wearing Confederate flag t-shirts.
I was never rah rah go school, so I didn't pay much attention to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies