Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 01:16 PM

537 posts, read 443,957 times

Advertisements

I live in a very mixed neighborhood. If neighbors can afford to live in houses from 3500 to 5000 square ft., good for them.

And in my neighborhood, I'm "that guy" that has all the weeds in the grass. My neighbors' yards look like golf course greens.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:21 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
There are plenty of small towns in the US where most residents share the same values and traditions. Take your pick.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does this fall under the umbrella of "freedom"? A lot of people talk about freedom but then pine for the 1950s because they wish for the strict social conformity in alignment with traditional values. The problem is this kind of society is oppressive to those who don't share the same culture, values, traditions, and religion as the majority. One ideology's "freedom" is another's oppression.
I'm reminded of the story of J. D. Rockefeller when his grandmother took him to task about some college antics. He replied "I'm enjoying these days, for they shall not come again"

So you see, many generations have looked upon the new ones, with a side eye of displeasure. It didn't stop them

Old 03-10-2023, 01:29 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How does one go about replacing OTHER people's personal values? Please explain how that works in practical terms.

Could someone change your values that easily? I think that could be a problem you should look into.
One example: some wanted to replace Christopher Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day and they did. They couldn't leave CC day alone, they had to eliminate it and replace with what they wanted. This is what I'm talking about.

The original post was about replacing others "values, culture and traditions" and that's what I responded to. You obviously can't replace 'personal values' but you can downgrade them by telling you that you're wrong to believe that way. It goes on everyday .

Old 03-10-2023, 01:31 PM

8,486 posts, read 4,733,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet, there are mostly homogenous countries such as China, Japan etc. and they seem to be doing alright. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we live side by side and one side forcing their culture, values, etc. on everyone else. It's about living separately in separate areas so that doesn't happen and so that we can all live in peace and harmony.
I don’t get it.

If we live separately in separate areas, we aren’t living in harmony. Peace maybe, but throwing harmony in there makes your entire post an oxymoron.

But maybe that’s just me. I don’t think I even have a tribe I could go to were I even interested in subscribing to this line of thinking. I’ve never seen another individual, let alone group of individuals, with terribly similar ideas or an ethos which was that close to mine.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:32 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does this fall under the umbrella of "freedom"? A lot of people talk about freedom but then pine for the 1950s because they wish for the strict social conformity in alignment with traditional values. The problem is this kind of society is oppressive to those who don't share the same culture, values, traditions, and religion as the majority. One ideology's "freedom" is another's oppression.
I believe people have the right to seek out an area with the kind of values, cultures and traditions they agree with.

If people want to live in an area with 1950s values like good schools and very low crime, then they have that right.

If people want to live in an area where drag queen story hour is considered to be the coolest thing in the world, then they have that right too.

Live and let live.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:44 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Some tribes are not allowed.
In OP's case, he would find his tribe in the areas I listed.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:03 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Of course. People have a right to move. I know several liberals who moved out of racially diverse neighborhoods to get away from black people. Now they live out in mostly white subdivisions and brag about their support for BLM and diversity.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Depends. Places exist that are kind of like that in many ways but there's always changes and evolotion taking place since people are never fully in sync with each other. That's a natural thing. The only problem is when some use positions of power to force change on it becasue it doesn't meet their specific ideals and goals.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:20 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Of course. People have a right to move. I know several liberals who moved out of racially diverse neighborhoods to get away from black people. Now they live out in mostly white subdivisions and brag about their support for BLM and diversity.
I also know conservatives who have done this. Don't act like conservatives don't do this. Many people want to live away from certain races of people.

Just the same, those persons cannot stop people not like them from moving to their areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies