Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 02:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does this fall under the umbrella of "freedom"? A lot of people talk about freedom but then pine for the 1950s because they wish for the strict social conformity in alignment with traditional values. The problem is this kind of society is oppressive to those who don't share the same culture, values, traditions, and religion as the majority. One ideology's "freedom" is another's oppression.
who pines for the 50's...wasnt even born then...I am an early 60's baby

the 50's wasn't freedom...50's had the highest taxes, 50's was anti-freedom, unfortunately its continued to get worse

Old 03-10-2023, 02:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's no freedom in one person or group of people forcing others to conform wholesale to their way of thinking or to their lifestyle.
exactly...there is no freedom, when you have the liberals wanting to cancel everybody that doesn't agree with them

Old 03-10-2023, 02:41 PM

62,914 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Harmony implies a combining of the different things into one, not separating them.

But again, I guess I have a hard time conceptualizing this. I forgot to add that I’ve also never lived anywhere terribly homogenous, either.
No it doesn't when we are talking about a homogenous group and that was my point.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:43 PM

62,914 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People usually do live in areas where most other people share their values, culture and traditions.

That is why some places in America are deep red and some places are deep blue.

So, what is anybody going to do about that?
I can't speak for most people but I live in a blue state and I'm a conservative. I'm here because of my family ties and the weather. I would prefer living in a red state though. My age is also a factor.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:44 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People usually do live in areas where most other people share their values, culture and traditions.

That is why some places in America are deep red and some places are deep blue.

So, what is anybody going to do about that?
Pick a place that you like the best?

Old 03-10-2023, 02:45 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Does this fall under the umbrella of "freedom"? A lot of people talk about freedom but then pine for the 1950s because they wish for the strict social conformity in alignment with traditional values. The problem is this kind of society is oppressive to those who don't share the same culture, values, traditions, and religion as the majority. One ideology's "freedom" is another's oppression.
That's what nation's are. They are a collection of people who choose to share a common culture, traditions, commerce, language, values and identity with each other.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:48 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
I'm not really sure what the OP is on about.

I have never seen or felt that there was an expectation that everyone had to share the same values. Aside from all of the basic social contract type things like don't break the laws, be polite and respectful to one another etc etc.

I'm really pretty socially liberal. I have a you do you and I'll do me approach to life as just about everyone I think I've interacted with had. Never really came across someone that openly expressed views that I felt like I had to conform to.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:51 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That's what nation's are. They are a collection of people who choose to share a common culture, traditions, commerce, language, values and identity with each other.
People have always tended to live near others of the same race, background and economic status. Look at Little Italy and Chinatown. If you are one race and make $50,000 a year, you will not be comfortable if you are living in a group of another race and they make $1,000,000 a year.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:03 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,085,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The problem today is that some people want to do away with your traditional values and replace them with theirs. In a free society the would be room for everyone's traditions but that's not how it works today. Just like some want to change history to suit their beliefs and do away with the truth.

Exactly.

Respecting others cultures and traditions is a two way street.

You don't get to demand respect and tolerance if you refuse to give it.

And your right to live by your own values is fine, until they encroach on mine.

Remember live and let live used to be a shared value....... Not so much anymore.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:04 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
You can live in any society you want to as long as they'll have you, but nobody is going to create a special society that caters to your every wish. That's not realistic. No two people in the world agree on every single thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies