Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t get it.

If we live separately in separate areas, we aren’t living in harmony. Peace maybe, but throwing harmony in there makes your entire post an oxymoron.

But maybe that’s just me. I don’t think I even have a tribe I could go to were I even interested in subscribing to this line of thinking. I’ve never seen another individual, let alone group of individuals, with terribly similar ideas or an ethos which was that close to mine.
Harmony and peace are the same thing when living among a group with similar or same values, cultures, etc. as your own. So no, it's not an oxymoron.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:25 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
No. People have a right to be left alone regardless of their values, culture and traditions provided they keep such things to themselves.

Living in a free society means sometimes having to live with people, things, values, cultures and traditions you don't like.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:27 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does this fall under the umbrella of "freedom"? A lot of people talk about freedom but then pine for the 1950s because they wish for the strict social conformity in alignment with traditional values. The problem is this kind of society is oppressive to those who don't share the same culture, values, traditions, and religion as the majority. One ideology's "freedom" is another's oppression.
I can’t remember asking the weirdo’s to live among us.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I also know conservatives who have done this. Don't act like conservatives don't do this. Many people want to live away from certain races of people.

Just the same, those persons cannot stop people not like them from moving to their areas.
Again, we're not talking about race here. Re-read the title of the topic. No, just as long as an area is under federal rule aka the Unites States of America a citizen can't be stopped from moving where they want to. The question is why would they want to move to an area where the majority doesn't share their political, social and cultural beliefs? That's what we have now and there is a lot of clash because of it.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:30 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Harmony and peace are the same thing when living among a group with similar or same values, cultures, etc. as your own. So no, it's not an oxymoron.
Harmony implies a combining of the different things into one, not separating them.

But again, I guess I have a hard time conceptualizing this. I forgot to add that I’ve also never lived anywhere terribly homogenous, either.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:31 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
We got along fine until this snowflake woke culture decided that some people deserved more than others and got laws passed to favor one class/gender over another.

Forcing is oppression and people rebel against oppression.

Forcing people to call a man "her" or "she" under threat of losing your job ?
That is NOT a free society.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:33 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We got along fine until this snowflake woke culture decided that some people deserved more than others and got laws passed to favor one class/gender over another.

Forcing is oppression and people rebel against oppression.

Forcing people to call a man "her" or "she" under threat of losing your job ?
That is NOT a free society.
100%. Leave me alone and I leave you alone. We all mind our own business and take personal responsibility for looking after ourselves. That's how you have peace and harmony.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeegBeer View Post
You have a right, but you don’t have a right to bar people out of society.

So start your own society on your on your own continent. With black Jack and hookers.

America has been multicultural since the start. Since colonizers imposed their culture into the natives.
We have had an identifying culture and language for some time now. So no, we aren't multi-cultural per se. We have minority cultures living among us but so what? We are an established country and have been for hundreds of years now so there is no sense in bringing up the past. There were no natives either. Everyone migrated here from somewhere else including those you call "natives".

Old 03-10-2023, 02:36 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
People usually do live in areas where most other people share their values, culture and traditions.

That is why some places in America are deep red and some places are deep blue.

So, what is anybody going to do about that?

Old 03-10-2023, 02:37 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeegBeer View Post
You have a right, but you don’t have a right to bar people out of society.

So start your own society on your on your own continent. With black Jack and hookers.

America has been multicultural since the start. Since colonizers imposed their culture into the natives.
We had natural assimilation before we had forced multiculture.

Remember melting pot vs salad bowl ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies