Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 03:06 PM

8,551 posts, read 6,978,839 times

Advertisements

We’re all tribal right from the dawn of civilization. Birds of a feather flock together universally irregardless of rights or no rights.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:07 PM

18,479 posts, read 7,137,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How does one go about replacing OTHER people's personal values? Please explain how that works in practical terms.

Could someone change your values that easily? I think that could be a problem you should look into.

Using cancel culture and the power of government to force your values on society at large.

You may not be able to easily change people's values, but there does seem to be a greater tendency to want to punish people for expressing or exercising them.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:12 PM

37,173 posts, read 42,359,399 times
Whats odd to me as how we embraced multiculturalism and diversity while claiming to want unity. Somethings wrong with that picture.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,818,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Whats odd to me as how we embraced multiculturalism and diversity while claiming to want unity. Somethings wrong with that picture.
Unity in a large, diverse population is a stupid idea that can only come from the brain of a stupid politician.

This country was designed to operate as 50 separate "countries" and only come together for common needs (e.g. defense). It was NEVER designed nor intended for top-down dictatorial governance from a cabal of corrupt bureaucrats whose combined intelligence barely exceeds that of my kitchen sink.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:17 PM

18,479 posts, read 7,137,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We got along fine until this snowflake woke culture decided that some people deserved more than others and got laws passed to favor one class/gender over another.

Forcing is oppression and people rebel against oppression.

Forcing people to call a man "her" or "she" under threat of losing your job ?
That is NOT a free society.

The reason America worked was because the Left and Right had shared goals and values..... We just differed on the details of how to get there and how far to go.

But as the Left and Right grew farther apart, our goals and values did too.

The Left doesn't want the same America that they use to. When they talked about "fundamental transformation"...... They were serious about changing America into THEIR vision of what America should be.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:20 PM

690 posts, read 513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does this fall under the umbrella of "freedom"? A lot of people talk about freedom but then pine for the 1950s because they wish for the strict social conformity in alignment with traditional values. The problem is this kind of society is oppressive to those who don't share the same culture, values, traditions, and religion as the majority. One ideology's "freedom" is another's oppression.
Sure in a perfect world but the world is not perfect and never has been. It has never worked (or don't think
it ever has) that way. Maybe in some small (like New Zealand and Norway) countered it can and maybe does or close. But in larger countries like the USA, it is not really possible. would be nice but it just is not.

In the 1950s and prior, (society in general not everyone) people of one group back then were less accepting of other people's traditions and culture than they are now. tolerant? Yes, but accepting? No not in general. People were less accepting (in my view) back then than they are now. And people back then (again in general) had just as good values as they do now. Sure some people had very good values (probably a good majority of society) but there are plenty of others who did not (JFK was a good president maybe but not someone I would call a man of good morales) just like now there are people who have good values and those who have.

As much as I like classic shows from the 1950s and 1960s (Father Knows Best, Andy, Beaver, and Dick Van Dyke) they had a way of sugar-coating life like it was some magical paradise. But knowing what I know about my family during this period it was not. The Waltons (which was filmed in the 1970s but took place in the 1930s and 1940s) did a better job of showing life in that era than some of those shows that were filmed and took place in the 50s and 60s ironically.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 03-10-2023 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 03:21 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,947,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Unity in a large, diverse population is a stupid idea that can only come from the brain of a stupid politician.

This country was designed to operate as 50 separate "countries" and only come together for common needs (e.g. defense). It was NEVER designed nor intended for top-down dictatorial governance from a cabal of corrupt bureaucrats whose combined intelligence barely exceeds that of my kitchen sink.
I'm no constitutional expert and all and I admit I probably didn't pay as much attention in HS when it came studying government structure, but as I understand it the federal government was never intended to get as large and bloated as it has become.

I understand the need for a federal government, but I'm much more of a state's rights guy in many respects. We have 50 states as you said, and they should operate closer to how the people in those states want. Not by some far off group of bureaucrats. I mean within reason of course.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:42 PM

5,752 posts, read 3,250,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm no constitutional expert and all and I admit I probably didn't pay as much attention in HS when it came studying government structure, but as I understand it the federal government was never intended to get as large and bloated as it has become.

I understand the need for a federal government, but I'm much more of a state's rights guy in many respects. We have 50 states as you said, and they should operate closer to how the people in those states want. Not by some far off group of bureaucrats. I mean within reason of course.
And we're a democratic republic. WE vote our representatives in to office, and in turn, they're supposed to represent their constituents. So...people should keep that in mind. Votes count.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:45 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,947,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And we're a democratic republic. WE vote our representatives in to office, and in turn, they're supposed to represent their constituents. So...people should keep that in mind. Votes count.
Yeah, I agree, people really don't get it technically right when they say we are a democracy, as you've outlined with your republic comment.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:51 PM

18,775 posts, read 7,676,322 times
Do people have a right to live in a society where everyone shares their values, culture, and traditions?

They have the right to live.

Where they do it, is up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies