Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2023, 08:51 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,039,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Actually, your comment speaks to another specific point i.e. the far right’s attempt to undermine/attack the right to vote.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 01:28 PM

8,794 posts, read 3,949,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
California ranks 48/50 on the freedom index of US States:
Freedom index, lol. Apparently they did not factor in a lack of religious belief, women’s reproductive healthcare and book bans/censorship into their methodology. ;-)

Old 08-03-2023, 01:38 PM

52,983 posts, read 34,809,429 times
desantis, by light-years.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:39 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Freedom index, lol. Apparently they did not factor in a lack of religious belief, women’s reproductive healthcare and book bans/censorship into their methodology. ;-)
Or maybe they factored in Assembly Bill 2098

Old 08-03-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
As much as I despise Newsom, he is most likely going to come out the winner in pretty much any debate.
I agree Newsom will win the debate; I’m actually surprised DeSantis accepted (although he pretty much had to considering his campaign is faltering).

Old 08-03-2023, 05:32 PM

627 posts, read 316,356 times
Desantis is getting desperate for publicity. Still he needs to go against influential figure from left and do well to have any shot at 2024.

But if he gets buried in the debate on Fox News moderated by Hannity, it will be an embarrassment of a biblical proportion.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:56 PM

7,612 posts, read 6,121,626 times
I don;t like living in Florida but DeSantis is not the whole reason. Bad governors have become the norm here, so I am used to Tallahassee Bovine Excrement every time I turn on the TV

I think most of the candidates are awful, lack good leadership and/or policy with the focus on the nation first

I'll suggest

At this point, partisan politics are the standard and George Washington is probably turning over in his grave anyway.....

Old 08-04-2023, 09:17 AM

19,281 posts, read 16,804,927 times
I don't know if DeSantis is a bad governor or not. I don't live there so I can't say anything about the quality of life. I do live in Newsom's area and I'm not pleased with some of the things he's done and said and implemented. I'm still here but only because I was born here and I'm old(er). If I was 20 years younger, I'd leave. It's hard to say that, too because my familial history is here. And that's the only reason I stay.

As for the election, I'm still scratching my head why Newsom wants to debate DeSantis. Newsom isn't even running for governor so why is he pushing for a debate and why does he get to dictate how the debate will go? No audience, only 90 minutes and a bunch of other rules, all set by Newsom. And what's with the taunts of "put up or shut up?"

Like I said, he's not evening running. Why aren't more people irritated by his demands? They sure would be if this was a conservative making rules for an office they aren't currently running for. Newsom's ego is (no surprise) still off the chain. As usual. I wish DeSantis would ask him why he wants to debate if he isn't even a candidate. Stop being a fraidy cat and just say no, not until he declares his candidacy. That would probably make Biden's (and Kamala's) head spin. That might be fun to see.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
No audience, only 90 minutes and a bunch of other rules, all set by Newsom. And what's with the taunts of "put up or shut up?"
The taunts are relative to their public sparring; it’s not as if DeSantis is being bullied. ;-) That said, it’s hosted/moderated by Fox News; (‘a bunch of other’) rules are necessary in order to ensure a neutral environment i.e. it is not in favor of Newsom.

Quote:
I wish DeSantis would ask him why he wants to debate if he isn't even a candidate.
This would come off as extremely soft and fearful as a way to avoid issues which Newsom and DeSantis have been publicly feuding over for months regarding Newsom’s national ‘Campaign for Democracy’.

Quote:
Stop being a fraidy cat and just say no, not until he declares his candidacy.
From my perspective, a decline would make him (look like) a ‘fraidy cat’; DeSantis has to do something to invigorate his campaign. Newsom is giving him the opportunity to do so i.e. ‘put up or shut up’.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:26 PM

8,655 posts, read 10,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Apples and oranges comparison.

Comparing a far right Republican to a progressive Democrat.

Newsom has done far, far more for people than DeSantis. DeSantis has waged culture wars on LGBTQ+, banned books, banned immigrants who are undocumented from working in the state, has made Florida a state that is not friendly to LGBTQ+ or African Americans, or other minority groups. DeSantis has waged a war with the state's biggest employer.

DeSantis is a little man trying to bully everyone and everything. A man who is trying to implement Facist leaning policies into Florida.

DeSantis is also failing pretty badly: plummenting in the national polls with his hopes to become the Republican nominee.

Newsom is presidential material, hands-down. An intelligent, compassionate leader who has been at the helm to help lead California to become the 5th largest economy in the entire world.

1)US
2)China
3)Japan
4)Germany
5)California

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/10/24/ic...%20and%20Japan.
But you didn't state was Newsom has done. Saying he has done far more, it's easier to believe what you mean is that he has done far more...damage for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies