Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 07:37 PM

1,840 posts, read 682,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Lets face it... these two governors are very different and have different results. DeSantis is already running for president and lets face it... Newsome would run for president if ole Joey isn't in the picture.

Newsome's Bio
Gavin Christopher Newsom was born in San Francisco on October 10, 1967, to Tessa Thomas Menzies and William Alfred Newsom III. Newsom received a partial baseball scholarship from Santa Clara University, where he graduated in 1989 with a degree in political science.

After graduating from Santa Clara, Newsom worked briefly in sales and real estate before starting a retail wine shop in 1992 in San Francisco. The business eventually grew into the PlumpJack Group, which includes restaurants, luxury resorts and wineries throughout California.

Newsom got involved in politics in 1995 as a volunteer for Willie Brown’s campaign for mayor of San Francisco. Mayor Brown appointed Newsom first to a vacancy on the Parking and Traffic Commission and in 1997, to a vacant seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Newsom was subsequently elected and re-elected to the board before successfully running for mayor of San Francisco in 2003. In 2004, Newsom made national headlines when he challenged California’s ban on same-sex marriage by directing the San Francisco city-county clerk to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

While still mayor of San Francisco, Newsom was elected the 49th lieutenant governor of California in 2010, and re-elected in 2014. On November 6, 2018, Newsom was elected the 40th governor of California.

DeSantis's Bio
A native Floridian with blue-collar roots, Ron DeSantis worked his way through Yale University, where he graduated with honors and was the captain of the varsity baseball team. He also graduated with honors from Harvard Law School. While at Harvard, he earned a commission in the U.S. Navy as a JAG officer. During his active-duty service, he supported operations at the terrorist detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and deployed to Iraq as an adviser to a U.S. Navy SEAL commander in support of the SEAL mission in Fallujah, Ramadi and the rest of Al Anbar province. His military decorations include the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service and the Iraq Campaign Medal.

After active-duty service, Ron DeSantis served as a federal prosecutor, where he targeted and convicted child predators. He still serves in the U.S. Navy Reserve. He was first elected to Congress in 2012, as the U.S. Representative for Florida’s Sixth District, where he fought for term limits, the No Budget/No Pay Act, and to cut taxes. While serving in Congress, he refused his Congressional pension and health insurance plan because he is against special deals for politicians. He also sponsored legislation to make it easier for the military to prosecute sexual assault and authored the bill to end the secret taxpayer-funded slush fund for members of Congress to make hush payoffs for sexual harassment.

Governor DeSantis is married to Casey DeSantis, an Emmy Award-winning television host. Together, they are the proud parents of their daughter, Madison, son, Mason and daughter Mamie.

These bios are fine, but the most important part of their bios is what they accomplished when they were governors of their state, and maybe DeSantis's congressional record and any other voting record of Newsom.

I liked how DeSantis ran his state in his first term during the pandemic, and wanted schools to reopen. That turned out to be the right decision. Meanwhile, CA was closed but Newsom dined at French Laundry.

However, DeSantis has shifted more right in focusing in a cultural war his second term, and yet isn't performing well in the national polls. He recently referred to Trump's base as listless vessels, and Ramaswamy seems to be attracting the anti-woke crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 07:39 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,413,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
These bios are fine, but the most important part of their bios is what they accomplished when they were governors of their state, and maybe DeSantis's congressional record and any other voting record of Newsom.

I liked how DeSantis ran his state in his first term during the pandemic, and wanted schools to reopen. That turned out to be the right decision. Meanwhile, CA was closed but Newsom dined at French Laundry.

However, DeSantis has shifted more right wing in cultural war his second term, and yet isn't performing well in the national polls. He recently referred to Trump's base as listless vessels, and Ramaswamy seems to be attracting the anti-woke crowd.

Newsom seems he could do well with the Democrat Party base. I wonder if there is a chance Biden replaces Harris with Newsom as running mate/VP, but if Trump chooses Tim Scott as running mate, the optics wouldn't be good for Democrats.
Newsom replaces Biden is more likely.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:16 PM

8,743 posts, read 3,919,421 times
Quote:
You evoked Governor Ron DeSantis's words about God placing him in a position of authority. Is what he said wrong, according to Christian/Judeo teachings? It's a simple question.
Quote:
Try to answer it. It was your point I addressing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m neither Christian nor Jewish; I’m an atheist. That said, logically speaking, why would a god select DeSantis to lead but not simultaneously be responsible for selecting all other Governors? The only logical way to view it is a god selects all governors, no matter the party (or he’s simply inadequate in getting the job done, so to speak).

Either way, it doesn’t set DeSantis apart (other than relative to self-righteous foolishness) i.e. it’s a meaningless statement, even if you believe in God (and back DeSantis).
Quote:
Well since Governor DeSantis is a Christian... so what he says is correct.
Again, you missed the logic relative to my point, as explained previously, above. Even if one believes in God, how does this set DeSantis apart or make him special i.e. ‘God chose a fighter’ to lead Florida. Relative to DeSantis’ logic (or yours), ‘God chose a fighter’ relative to Newsom as well (or is he saying God missed the mark on Newsom, lol). Hence my point, DeSantis is delusional and self-righteously arrogant.

Quote:
In fact it's also true for Newsom. It may be hard to believe, but California Gov. Gavin Newsom is Catholic.

I guess that does it for him too.... right?
He’s never declared he’s the ‘chosen one’ as DeSantis nor has he essentially kidnapped folks and used them as political pawns. Do you have any idea how many folks are (kind of) raised Catholic (but no longer consider themselves such). That said, it doesn’t make any difference, from a political standpoint, if he still is or not - or, at least, it shouldn’t. I’m more than certain he’s conscious of such.

That said, clearly DeSantis is playing to the religious right i.e. the authoritarianism that Newsom is fighting relative to his Campaign for Democracy.

Quote:
He even has a statue of a Catholic saint in his home.
In his personal home? To my knowledge, this isn’t true; which saint and what room in the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies