Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 03:53 PM

26,697 posts, read 15,247,963 times

Advertisements

Newsom flatters Trump.

Once when given an open door to hit Trump, Newsom responded that Trump was so helpful during Covid, always picked up the phone, and always gave him whatever he wanted and supported his state's right to implement its own policies. This was under Biden, so he had no need to stay in good graces.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...n-trump-newsom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 04:20 PM

10,303 posts, read 7,919,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Apples and oranges comparison.

Comparing a far right Republican to a progressive Democrat.

Newsom has done far, far more for people than DeSantis. DeSantis has waged culture wars on LGBTQ+, banned books, banned immigrants who are undocumented from working in the state, has made Florida a state that is not friendly to LGBTQ+ or African Americans, or other minority groups. DeSantis has waged a war with the state's biggest employer.

DeSantis is a little man trying to bully everyone and everything. A man who is trying to implement Facist leaning policies into Florida.

DeSantis is also failing pretty badly: plummenting in the national polls with his hopes to become the Republican nominee.

Newsom is presidential material, hands-down. An intelligent, compassionate leader who has been at the helm to help lead California to become the 5th largest economy in the entire world.

1)US
2)China
3)Japan
4)Germany
5)California

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/10/24/ic...%20and%20Japan.
lol. Funny thread of the day.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:00 PM

14,990 posts, read 9,919,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Why does it matter? My point is relative to DeSantis’ words, not the Bible, i.e. his self-righteous arrogance that a ‘God chose him’. Apparently, Newsom and California are the ‘devil’s work’, lol. That would be reason, in and of itself, to vote for Newsom vs. DeSantis, as described per the thread. DeSantis is delusional relative to the election process.

That said, to be clear (since I received a rep comment wanting to inform me of common sense relative to the Bible), my point is regarding DeSantis’ words and self-righteousness. I’m certain if some sort of a god did exist, he wouldn’t force folks (or cast a spell on them) to vote for DeSantis. ;-)
You evoked Governor Ron DeSantis's words about God placing him in a position of authority. Is what he said wrong, according to Christian/Judeo teachings? It's a simple question.

Try to answer it. It was your point I addressing.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:09 PM

8,863 posts, read 3,997,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Is what he said wrong, according to Christian/Judeo teachings?
I’m neither Christian nor Jewish; I’m an atheist. That said, logically speaking, why would a god select DeSantis to lead but not simultaneously be responsible for selecting all other Governors? The only logical way to view it is a god selects all governors, no matter the party (or he’s simply inadequate in getting the job done, so to speak).

Either way, it doesn’t set DeSantis apart (other than relative to self-righteous foolishness) i.e. it’s a meaningless statement, even if you believe in God (and back DeSantis).

Old 08-20-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I’m neither Christian nor Jewish; I’m an atheist. That said, logically speaking, why would a god select DeSantis to lead but not simultaneously be responsible for selecting all other Governors? The only logical way to view it is a god selects all governors, no matter the party (or he’s simply inadequate in getting the job done, so to speak).

Either way, it doesn’t set DeSantis apart (other than relative to self-righteous foolishness) i.e. it’s a meaningless statement, even if you believe in God (and back DeSantis).
Well since Governor DeSantis is a Christian... so what he says is correct. In fact it's also true for Newsom. It may be hard to believe, but California Gov. Gavin Newsom is Catholic.

He was baptized in the Church, attended Catholic elementary schools and a Catholic university, got married in the Catholic Church, and still maintains identification with his faith. He even has a statue of a Catholic saint in his home.

I guess that does it for him too.... right?

Old 08-20-2023, 06:15 PM

11,183 posts, read 10,770,980 times
Quote:
Obviously, no politician (or person) is perfect; however, I’d support anyone against DeSantis (or Trump), and my concern is Biden’s age. That said, Newsom may be socially liberal but he is a fiscal conservative as well.

It was an accurate play on words relative to two distinct sides of a coin, so to speak.

It does not make Newsom a hypocrite; Abbott originally wrote it (to garner political favor amongst voters). He also dehumanized the victims of a mass shooting by stating they were ‘illegal immigrants’ (only to later learn it wasn’t even the case relative to at least one victim). DeSantis has dehumanized people to use as his political pawns.

What’s seriously hypocritical/bizarre is for DeSantis to claim ‘God picked a fighter’ to become Florida’s Governor. Who picked Newsom - the devil, lol? Someone ought to explain the election process to Ron; the self-righteousness (and delusional thinking) is outrageous.

How is putting himself out there (and challenging DeSantis to a debate) being a coward? The guy running/making excuses (DeSantis) is the coward. You can’t say Newsom has nothing to lose, either, as it’s likely he will enter the presidential race in 2028.

That said, the only charlatan is DeSantis relative to the aforementioned.
If Newsom is a fiscal conservative then I’m a non-binary penguin. Fiscal conservatives don’t have budget deficits larger than the entire budget of some states.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:28 PM

5,045 posts, read 2,429,642 times
I absolutely loathe Newsom. However Desantis is never going to climb that hill. So by default Newsom wins because he has a slim chance to achieve it.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I absolutely loathe Newsom. However Desantis is never going to climb that hill. So by default Newsom wins because he has a slim chance to achieve it.
Do you think Newsom is a better governor and has a better chance to be POTUS? Did you read their bios in my original post?

Old 08-20-2023, 07:24 PM

7,825 posts, read 6,462,248 times
Keep Grusome Newsom out there in the Granola state.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:33 PM

5,045 posts, read 2,429,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Do you think Newsom is a better governor and has a better chance to be POTUS? Did you read their bios in my original post?
I no longer believe that Desantis has any path. I can't say that about Newsom yet. I don't like him but it's over for Desantis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies