Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
That's why I'm taking a hiatus from posting in them now. All the discussions eventually run into: statement "nuh-uh", response "uh-uh", countered with "nuh-uh". Oh so enlightening.
First off, I take exception to that statement! I enjoy repeating myself on the immigration threads. And I know everyone else enjoy hearing me remake my point.
As far as gay marriage, much of the talk on this thread has been about gay marriage excluding moral views. Unfortunately, in a very practical way, you can't take morality out of the discussion. We have many laws that are totally founded in moral views. I have mentioned some earlier: prostitution, drug use, necrophilia. Everyone can accept that these do have some broader social detriment. That effect is usually caused by exploitation.
This is why gay marriage is so controversial. Sure they deserve the legal benefits of marriage, but many cannot accept the view that two men or women should marry each other.
You can try to circumvent it by giving them legal rights, but not as part of a state-sanctioned marriage; calling it a union, or some other name. This is a whole new problem. Now, all those legal rights, inheritance, health care, tax benefits, etc are open to exploitation.
I think this is the crux of the issue. You will find it overwhelming to convince people to accept the morality of same sex marriage, and you create a number of potential problems by changing those legal rights but calling it something other than marriage. Rock and a hard place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
San Francisco is a circus?? What have I been missing?! Seriously, have you spent any time in this city? Some people seem to think it's one big gay-pride parade, which is totally not the case... sure, the Castro district has rainbow flags a-flyin', but they don't exactly have sex in the streets. People are just more free to be open, without having to worry about as many negative reactions; but as any gay person (or friend of a gay person) can tell you, most of them live "normal" daily lives, just like any hetero.

We do have our share of drag-queens, transsexuals, etc., but that's a very small population... and I love San Francisco for giving them a place to live, where they can proudly walk down the street without constantly being attacked & ridiculed. I recently saw a 6-foot-something drag queen in SF, and all I said was "Not fair! Why can't I have those legs??"... the guy I was with just laughed, and told me I was still prettier - LOL. (though I think he was lying, since she was gorgeous )
Yes, I have spent much of my youth in San Francisco before it earned it's City by the Gays name. Sorry I dindn't put that label on it so, don't throw stones at me!!! They don't need to have parades to show gay pride.
I believe this is what gets people to thinking all of the city is that way.

I love the city but, it has changed to a very Liberal city. Nothing like in the 60's and 70's. I am familiar were it once was to what it is now.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:44 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
I was just thinking about how funny it is that we are all arguing this issue now...

I know one gay couple who have been together for over 25 years.

25+ years ago, it wasn't so acceptable to be gay and there were a lot of homosexual people who ended up "married" to straight people. As it became more and more acceptable to be "out of the closet," a lot of these marriages broke up and the people in these initially acceptable marriages found more suitable partners.

Somehow, we are valuing one-year of straight marriage, even if it's a sham marriage, more than we value 25 years of a committed partnership between two same sex people.

I dunno, but just doesn't seem right to me. I think the "sham" marriages devalue the concept of marriage more than the union of two people who truly love each other, even if they are the same sex.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I was just thinking about how funny it is that we are all arguing this issue now...

I know one gay couple who have been together for over 25 years.

25+ years ago, it wasn't so acceptable to be gay and there were a lot of homosexual people who ended up "married" to straight people. As it became more and more acceptable to be "out of the closet," a lot of these marriages broke up and the people in these initially acceptable marriages found more suitable partners.

Somehow, we are valuing one-year of straight marriage, even if it's a sham marriage, more than we value 25 years of a committed partnership between two same sex people.

I dunno, but just doesn't seem right to me. I think the "sham" marriages devalue the concept of marriage more than the union of two people who truly love each other, even if they are the same sex.
lol. So true. Like Bitney Spears 52 hour marriage. Or her second marriage that faired a lil longer. What a joke!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
lol. So true. Like Bitney Spears 52 hour marriage. Or her second marriage that faired a lil longer. What a joke!
Ha! I was thinking about the Tom Cruise marriages too, as I was typing that.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Yea, we heteros have a lot of room to speak about marriage don't we??

But hey, it's my 11th anniversary today

Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 PM

753 posts, read 759,327 times
The sub-sub-threads have all disappeared, the context is shattered...so I can write anything, yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
what about “the fact your neighbor is married doesn’t change the terms of your marriage.”
Car ownership isn't a partnership.

Sorry, that's about all that could be salvaged from this thread. Pick you up later in the discussion.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,939 times
It's simple - if you don't agree with same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. Now who doesn't get it??

Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
It's simple - if you don't agree with same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. Now who doesn't get it??
It is not simply a legal issue for most Americans. Many of our laws are based on moral justifications.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,939 times
My point is...so many Americans are caught up in other people's business. It's just plain nosey and intrusive...they need to concentrate on their own marriage and keep it out of divorce court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies