Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

I'm a little late getting back to you on this, from the other day. At my supermarket, 15-oz tall cans of pink salmon, 1.68 for store brand, and 1.89 for Chicken of the Sea, everyday price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 02:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
I'm poor because I haven't got any money.
That seems to me to be the #1 cause. As you seem to gather, there are conflicting theories that have been offered by some of our friends here...

Quote:
I derive a perverse amusement from the stupidity of people who see people like me, who may have less than they do, as "choosing" to be in the situation of poverty.
You are not alone in that, I assure you.

Quote:
America (and some other developed countries) is loaded with working poor because of corporate greed and our laughably low minimum wage.
Over recent years, these have been receiving some considerable assistance from our government. This may change, once Sarah Palin has been safely returned to her duties as Governor of Alaska...

Old 08-30-2008, 08:45 PM

630 posts, read 1,295,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
well i agree with you, there are some instances here that wouldn't allow a person to make a sucessful and comfortable life because of things that happen in their life but for the most part your right, i think its because the govornment gives poorer people so many freebees. I think that has alot to do with it. I also think it has to do with crime. I think in big cities especially it is very tempting to get caught up in a gang or illegal selling of things and thats why i think. I have lived near alot of big cities out here in california and have personally seen, worked with and been around this because of my interests ( haha don't get the wrong impression). I even did buisiness with a guy in hayward who owns his own company and believe me they are huge company out there and do very well; they get jobs and contracts with the cities and other organizations because they are well known and the most honest in the business. His family was poor and worked hard developing his company and has established himself as the most honest at what they do and now they are this huge company and they still have to work extremely hard just to make it but his retirement and life are pretty much set so he will never have to struggle in life, which is awsome for him. I love hearing about poor people that worked their ass off and have made it. I LOVE it. My uncle did that and then lost everything and now they are still working their asses off. because of my uncles salary they are not considered poor but they don't hardly bank anything and they get no help from the govornment. Poor people have the same chance to make it as everyone in fact more sometimes because of the govornments support.

Last edited by okie333; 08-30-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
1980: I'm sorry that happened to you, I would love to help someone in your position.

However, I don't feel I should change who I am to fit society. That's evil and wrong. I have a right to be who I want to be and earn what I have worked to earn. God gave us free will to do as we please as long as we are moral.

Billions of people have suffered and died for the idea of "Society". Weither it was for their religon, race, country, tribe, ideology, etc. Maybe if we all took a step back and valued people as individuals, not as some cog expendable at the will of the machine, we wouldn't have all the hate we see today.

I value human beings, and individual diversity. I don't see Blacks, Christians, Anarchists, etc. I see "People", that's it.

Also, I don't believe we have the right to legislate morality. It's wrong when Christians do it (Gay Marriage), so why do you feel you have the right to do so?
If you just saw people it would not have even occured to you to type
black in your post.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
It comes down to education, sense of self & pride & worth. If kids aren't getting a good education, regardless if their parents did or not, then what's it all worth, right? Parents, single or otherwise, need to set good examples. You can be poor & still have a good sense of self. People make mistakes, they can make bad financial mistakes. I did it myself & I'm now on the path to correcting it. People can be so damn judgemental, put yourself in others shoes for just a moment, maybe you can then eat a piece of humble pie.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
It comes down to education, sense of self & pride & worth. If kids aren't getting a good education, regardless if their parents did or not, then what's it all worth, right? Parents, single or otherwise, need to set good examples. You can be poor & still have a good sense of self. People make mistakes, they can make bad financial mistakes. I did it myself & I'm now on the path to correcting it. People can be so damn judgemental, put yourself in others shoes for just a moment, maybe you can then eat a piece of humble pie.
This misconception seems to just continue. We fiscal conservatives have no reason to judge those who "make bad financial mistakes" until those same people expect the government to force everyone else to pay for it.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
J, you are the man and all but I have to disagree a bit here. Sure, there is plenty of opportunity out there for people to do more. But bad decisions and hard luck happen and not always by choice. Also, you have to keep in mind that there are only so many CEO jobs, computer jobs, investment bankers, etc needed in this world. The average citizens who work in the real world are what really keeps us going. All the talk about going to college and bettering your life is great, but if everyone is trying to do the same thing then many will be left in the cold. I personally know at least a dozen people with 2 and 4yr degrees who cannot find work in their fields. There are only so many spots to fill in the supposedly "good job" area. The real question is why is there such a huge wage difference between different jobs. Why does a man who creates nothing, only pushes paper or surfs a computer all day make the big money while the men/women with the ordinary jobs such as carpenters, shop workers, road workers, etc. get paid so little. It seems that the jobs people do that actually keep this nation running are the ones who get the shaft when it comes to getting paid. Maybe instead of judging people by their educational background, we should pay based on real contribution to society. Why should teachers, police officers,etc. get paid so poorly while the guy moving numbers around on a computer all day gets paid the big bucks. He/she makes nothing of use for mankind yet still manages to rake in the dough. It is just another example of the backwards society we live in where the hard workers are the poor and the aristocrats and their middle men are the rich.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 08-30-2008 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
This misconception seems to just continue. We fiscal conservatives have no reason to judge those who "make bad financial mistakes" until those same people expect the government to force everyone else to pay for it.
What misconception? Believe me, I'm paying for my mistakes. I don't forget it for a single day & those credit card companies make sure I don't forget it. So, if you're saying that fiscal conservatives are teaching people a lesson, what lesson would that be? To jack up interest rates so high that even when you're paying over the minimum a month you're still screwed? It's a ****ing scam.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What misconception? Believe me, I'm paying for my mistakes. I don't forget it for a single day & those credit card companies make sure I don't forget it. So, if you're saying that fiscal conservatives are teaching people a lesson, what lesson would that be? To jack up interest rates so high that even when you're paying over the minimum a month you're still screwed? It's a ****ing scam.
I never stated that you fall into this category, so please don't take my statement personally. No, I'm not saying that we are teaching people lessons. Most of us fiscal conservatives are caring, compassionate people. The only difference is that we prefer to help others directly and voluntarily. We don't feel that one should be FORCED to help another, using governmental extortion.
Are you a victim of some company upping your interest rate without your consent? If so, this is a crime and should be reported. However, if you signed a contract giving them that option, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I never stated that you fall into this category, so please don't take my statement personally. No, I'm not saying that we are teaching people lessons. Most of us fiscal conservatives are caring, compassionate people. The only difference is that we prefer to help others directly and voluntarily. We don't feel that one should be FORCED to help another, using governmental extortion.
Are you a victim of some company upping your interest rate without your consent? If so, this is a crime and should be reported. However, if you signed a contract giving them that option, then you have no one to blame but yourself.
No, you're right, the interest rate was high when I signed up. But I stupidly got the card anyway because my credit rating was poor. Now, even though I've been doing a consolidation program for almost 2 years, & my credit rating has FINALLY started to increase, the one & only credit card I still keep has only lowered my rate once, even though I've called them a couple times to request a drop in my rate. Believe me, once I pay off my debt, I will think again before getting another card. I'll probably drop the card I have now, but it's been almost impossible to pay it off. I just think that those companies are really sticking it to people who don't have a good credit rating, & for those of us who are trying to get responsible, it isn't helping because it's still like a blackhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies