Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 03:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,634,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
TexasReb, thank you for answering my questions. People are "worth" only what a business is willing to pay them. Business is willing to pay them only what business can afford to pay them. Do I underestand you correctly?
Yes, you understand me. The concept is broadly speaking known as laws of supply and demand. People who apply for jobs are "worth" what their marketable skills are.

Quote:
OK, let's have a look. A man with low income has nobody but himself to blame for his lack of personal betterment and employability?
I don't know. Is s/he? You need to name THE person in question first. Has this person accepted life and reality in that they enter an entry level job then work their way up? OR has that one just chosen to draw a government check. Quit thinking in terms of "groups". Why can't you see that there are many poor folks who don't want nor need your condecending solicitude.

Of course, too, you DO know that most of the "poor" become "rich" later on, don't you?.

Blame? Again, name the individual and we can discuss them. In terms of life choices, etc.

Quote:
Then your business has nobody but yourself to blame for your lack of liquid cashflow to pay higher wages to your floor sweeper. You want a double standard, but I'm not going to let you hide behind one. It''s your fault if your crappy business can't provide for the simple human dignity of your workers.
HAHAHAHAHA YOU are not going to let ME "hide" behind something? Man, oh man, do you have ever have delusions of grandeur! I don't even OWN a business. But let me explain this in a way that even you might understand, and that common sense ought to dictate. Ready?

Well, really, I can't, come to think of it....do it very well...

Because your points are so ludicrous as to not even be sensible enough to refute. It reminds me of that old analogy about how sometimes another person's premise is so far-fetched, the opponent is at a disadvantage simply by virtue of that the formers is so illogical as to be into the twilight zone. Gawdamighty, spare me from nuts who can't even explain what they mean by such a phrase as "bettering human dignity"....

What do you think the PURPOSE of owing a business is? Or why people aspire to own one?

But anyway..

Quote:
So, now, instead of the problem being poor people, it is poor business. What is the remedy to businesses that "cannot afford" to pay a decent wage. And go whining to the government for handouts. Which are stolen from my pocket.
This makes my head spin, so nutty is this logic. Here is a book I would recommend for you: Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide ... - Google Book Search

Quote:
You're all quick to say the worker can stay up all night to work two jobs and get a degree, etc. Weil, your business can do what it has to do to become Halliburton or General Motors. If you don't, it's your own fault, and you deserve to wallow in mediocrity.
Question? What do YOU do for the "poor"? I mean YOU. Not anyone else. Not government. What do YOU do for the poor? For human dignity? How much of your income do you give to charity and the "poor"? In fact, preface first by telling what you even do for a living that earns the income to begin with...? Please tell and whence you do, we can discuss it further.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-31-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,703,909 times
Quote:
TexasReb, thank you for answering my questions. People are "worth" only what a business is willing to pay them. Business is willing to pay them only what business can afford to pay them. Do I underestand you correctly?

OK, let's have a look. A man with low income has nobody but himself to blame for his lack of personal betterment and employability? Then your business has nobody but yourself to blame for your lack of liquid cashflow to pay higher wages to your floor sweeper. You want a double standard, but I'm not going to let you hide behind one. It''s your fault if your crappy business can't provide for the simple human dignity of your workers.

So, now, instead of the problem being poor people, it is poor business. What is the remedy to businesses that "cannot afford" to pay a decent wage. And go whining to the government for handouts. Which are stolen from my pocket.

You're all quick to say the worker can stay up all night to work two jobs and get a degree, etc. Weil, your business can do what it has to do to become Halliburton or General Motors. If you don't, it's your own fault, and you deserve to wallow in mediocrity.
You are absolutely correct, except, other than bankruptcy, small businesses have no means of receiving assistance from the government. I agree with you that businesses should stand or fall on their own merit, as long as you agree to the same about individuals.
The "worth" of an employee's job is determined by the market, not the business. For example, if there was a shortage of individuals who could sweep floors and several businesses were vying for the services of floor sweepers, their wages would likely increase. Unfortunately for floor sweepers, their job can be done by nearly anyone. If individuals want to increase their worth in the job market, they need to find a job that's in high demand. Another example, blacksmithing is a highly skilled job, but not many are needed these days, so an individual with only that skill would not likely be worth much in today's job market.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 PM

52,381 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
I agree, there isn't a reason for people to be poor. Go to you local community college and pick up a skill, anything from welding to medical assistants. The opportunities are endless. Most of people problems are themselves.

When did we as a country turn into a bunch of wimps, expecting the government to do everything for us?? I mean this country was founded on hard work and a little grit for Christ's sake.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:03 PM

10 posts, read 21,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Nobody really chooses to be poor. Saying that people choose to be poor shows a lack of compassion for those people. People do the best they can do given their situation in life, and we've all had periods in our own life when we wished we made wiser choices- so we should just let go or forgive those faults. To think otherwise is to have a very dark view of human nature, and that's a view I don't want to share in.

And that in short is why I'm not a Republican... I don't think most Republicans take compassion seriously at all. I sense alot of greed, envy, and schadenfreude behind alot of right-wing dogma. I think Republicans are decent people, though, but I think the right-wing ideology is not palatable. The Left is not perfect, but at least I don't feel squeamish voting for most Democrats or Independents.
Well said. We make mistakes, get knocked down, and sometimes need a little help to get back up. Some people have relatives with extra money or friends in their church who lend them a helping hand. Others have no choice but to accept a little bit of assistance from the government after they've lost everything. It is very naive to assume that everyone can "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps," which is a basic Republican mandate. Most Republicans I know are loving people who would help their family members if they needed it,and would never tell someone they loved to "go find work" immediately after suffering a major hardship. That's why I don't understand how Republicans justify judging the poor and blaming them for their problems when many of them would never apply the same logic to their own children when they make mistakes or have a streak of bad luck.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 21,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I laud you for your accomplishments, and sympathize with your troubles. I would point out that my current tax lawyer was in the Navy for 20 years before he went to college. He graduated with an Accounting degree and law degree at the age of 46. Was hired by KPMG to do grunt work, and today at age 65 he is a very respected tax lawyer. I have no idea to the extent of your physical difficulties, but encourage you to not let your age stand in your way - 27 is young! There is a shortage of good brains these days - don't take yours off the market!
LOL. Thanks! I'm definitely not taking my brain off the market. I just know that things will be difficult for me financially for a while (as they are for many other people I know). I may be "poor" for a few years, and wouldn't want anyone to judge me and assume that I was financially reckless and "chose" to be broke.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
TexasReb, I refuse to respond to your rambling non-sequiturs, none of which have anything to do with the questions I asked. I refuse your challenge to talk anecdotally about a specific worker instead that same broad class, that you are quick to collectively call lazy and irresponsible. I refuse to tell you the personal details of my own life so you can try to fault me, instead of yourself, for the failure of America to fulfill its promise to its citizens. Except to say that I AM the poor, and if I told you what I have done to help people, it might shame you and that is not my intent. In my neightborhood, there are way too many poor people. I live with them and I shop with them and I ride the bus with them, and I understand their circumstances, and one thing I would never do is to degrade their dignity by blaming them for their plight. Life is too hard without money, to try to make it without dignity, either.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,517,970 times
Quote:
TexasReb, I refuse to respond to your rambling non-sequiturs, none of which have anything to do with the questions I asked. I refuse your challenge to talk anecdotally about a specific worker instead that same broad class, that you are quick to collectively call lazy and irresponsible. I refuse to tell you the personal details of my own life so you can try to fault me, instead of yourself, for the failure of America to fulfill its promise to its citizens. Except to say that I AM the poor, and if I told you what I have done to help people, it might shame you and that is not my intent. In my neightborhood, there are way too many poor people. I live with them and I shop with them and I ride the bus with them, and I understand their circumstances, and one thing I would never do is to degrade their dignity by blaming them for their plight. Life is too hard without money, to try to make it without dignity, either.

And yet you "try" to point out others faults.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And yet you "try" to point out others faults.
. . . and fail. An impossible task, because nobody else but me has any faults.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,703,909 times
Quote:
My I ask what you are trying to do to better your financial condition?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,653,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
that is totally backasswards. EVERY working woman or man in this country is what keeps this country going. If it werent for the doctors in america the construction workers would not be able to continue their jobs for very long, If it werent for the Insurance companies people would not be able to deliver pizzas to your front door, if didn't have any ingineers you would not have those machines for the average mechanic to do their alignments or boring out cylinder blocks for an engine overhaul. get my drift?

Newsflash in todays america it is getting harder and harder to get some even blue collar jobs without a degree.

welcome to the world of edumacation...lol
Sorry, but you are the one who's got it backwards. You are just so immersed in the system that you can't see when it is kicking you in the ass. Is a doctor a paper pusher, no, he contributes to society by making people feel better. But without that carpenter you wouldn't have a house to live in so doesn't that make them equally important. As for insurance companies you have stumbled on the biggest piece of crap idea every conceived. Why can't that delivery guy bring you a pizza, because our government decided to insert a money grabbing middle man whom you pay your money for the right to drive. Do you get any of that money back if you never have an accident. No!! In fact all they do is try to screw us at every turn because their only business is moving money around. They have no real purpose. In case you didn't know it the whole idea of insurance for everything is a relatively new idea and it is nothing more than a way for the rich to drain you of your money. And besides, in your post the jobs you have chosen as examples wouldn't really fall into my category of a bull@#$S job. Engineers do create something, and then others put it together. But why do you think the guy who drew a picture should get paid more than the men who build it? Because he went to college right. Well sorry, but I know a lot of complete idiots with college degrees who don't deserve to get paid anywhere close to what they do. College is not the only way to judge a man's worth or intelligence. I bet you think we simply couldn't do without lawyers too right. Because god knows nothing could ever possibly get done if we didn't have a shifty weasel waiting to tell what ever story was necessary to win. These are the types of needless jobs I am talking about. The world could be a much simpler place to live in if we removed some of the senseless money sucking jobs out there that really serve no purpose toward the good of mankind. I think I pretty well outlined all of this in my first post, but since you wanted to be so thick headed about it I hope this will help some. Next time at least try and argue for something actually listed in the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies