Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,630,634 times

Advertisements

1980: I'm sorry that happened to you, I would love to help someone in your position.

However, I don't feel I should change who I am to fit society. That's evil and wrong. I have a right to be who I want to be and earn what I have worked to earn. God gave us free will to do as we please as long as we are moral.

Billions of people have suffered and died for the idea of "Society". Weither it was for their religon, race, country, tribe, ideology, etc. Maybe if we all took a step back and valued people as individuals, not as some cog expendable at the will of the machine, we wouldn't have all the hate we see today.

I value human beings, and individual diversity. I don't see Blacks, Christians, Anarchists, etc. I see "People", that's it.

Also, I don't believe we have the right to legislate morality. It's wrong when Christians do it (Gay Marriage), so why do you feel you have the right to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,279,655 times
Shizzle, I'd like to see your scriptural refrences for this statement:

God gave us free will to do as we please as long as we are moral.

Please, also, explain how this statement applies to the topic:

Also, I don't believe we have the right to legislate morality.

I hve not seen any posting that argued that there ought to be a law requiring that people personally hand over their wealth to individuals who express or exhibit need or want. However, our legislatures do have to right to enact laws or provisions that are designed to distribute a portion of the national treasury to causes that reduce poverty within our social fabric. Poverty contributes to all kinds of social issues, including crime and public health and education. The government has a right to take steps to alleviate those byproducts by ameliorating the perceived cause, for the betterment of the whole of the republic. That is not "legislating morality', since it does not compel you to act in a moral manner under penalty of law.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-29-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Please, also, explain how this statement applies to the topic:

Also, I don't believe we have the right to legislate morality.

Because you are sitting here saying it's "Wrong" for me to want to keep what I earn. AKA: You're judging me. Don't try to turn back on your words now.

Quote:
I hve not seen any posting that argued that there ought to be a law requiring that people personally hand over their wealth to individuals who express or exhibit need or want. However, our legislatures do have to right to enact laws or provisions that are designed to distribute a portion of the national treasury to causes that reduce poverty within our social fabric.
Same thing, different wording. Have you ever considered you'd make more headway telling the truth and not thinking we're all stupid? Using big words and political lingo doesn't make you smarter, it makes you shady.

Quote:
Poverty contributes to all kinds of social issues, including crime and public health and education. The government has a right to take steps to alleviate those byproducts by ameliorating the perceived cause, for the betterment of the whole of the republic. That is not "legislating morality', since it does not compel you to act in a moral manner under penalty of law.
Okay, I can live with that. Show me where I said we shouldn't fund police, schools and healthcare?

Your earlier posts attempted to try and compel me to share my earnings with others for their own happyness and benefit. If someone chooses to do that, that is wonderful. If not, then let them pay the karmic consequences. What you want is theft, and is wrong.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Dont forget that the wheel was not invented by the most diligent, energetic worker at the job site, but by the laziest, most indolent, who said "Hell, no, I'm not gonna carry all that!" It is said that Henry Ford hired the laziest people he could find, because they had the greatest incentive to find ways to make the task more efficient.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Have you ever considered you'd make more headway telling the truth and not thinking we're all stupid? Using big words and political lingo doesn't make you smarter, it makes you shady. .
OK, Shizzles, you are also a liar, and your statements reveal you to be a moron, and dishonst. There. We have really contributed a lot to the discussion, haven't we?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM

862 posts, read 1,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.

Mostly,l because the poor shall inherit the world as the bible says, and
the poor want the rich and super-rich tp have as much fun here as possiblesince they'll be so long in hell.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, Shizzles, you are also a liar, and your statements reveal you to be a moron, and dishonst. There. We have really contributed a lot to the discussion, haven't we?
I aim to please.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,072,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anika1980 View Post
How kind of you to think of me!
Yes, well, I say "think" but it is actually a form of meditation/prayer. It is a Buddhist meditation practice that I follow.

Quote:
The reason I went into so much detail was not for sympathy, but with hope that a few people who believe that the poor choose to be poor will at least see that there are many exceptions to that belief.
Nobody really chooses to be poor. Saying that people choose to be poor shows a lack of compassion for those people. People do the best they can do given their situation in life, and we've all had periods in our own life when we wished we made wiser choices- so we should just let go or forgive those faults. To think otherwise is to have a very dark view of human nature, and that's a view I don't want to share in.

And that in short is why I'm not a Republican... I don't think most Republicans take compassion seriously at all. I sense alot of greed, envy, and schadenfreude behind alot of right-wing dogma. I think Republicans are decent people, though, but I think the right-wing ideology is not palatable. The Left is not perfect, but at least I don't feel squeamish voting for most Democrats or Independents.

Last edited by Magnulus; 08-30-2008 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-30-2008, 10:44 AM

382 posts, read 1,230,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anika1980 View Post
I still have my law degree, but it will be very difficult for me to obtain a job with my physical disabilities and lack of experience.
I laud you for your accomplishments, and sympathize with your troubles. I would point out that my current tax lawyer was in the Navy for 20 years before he went to college. He graduated with an Accounting degree and law degree at the age of 46. Was hired by KPMG to do grunt work, and today at age 65 he is a very respected tax lawyer. I have no idea to the extent of your physical difficulties, but encourage you to not let your age stand in your way - 27 is young! There is a shortage of good brains these days - don't take yours off the market!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 AM

146 posts, read 351,095 times
I'm poor because I haven't got any money.

I derive a perverse amusement from the stupidity of people who see people like me, who may have less than they do, as "choosing" to be in the situation of poverty. America (and some other developed countries) is loaded with working poor because of corporate greed and our laughably low minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies