Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 01:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the medical industry is screwed up. no doubt about it. doctors are basically pimps for phizer and others. they push their name brand product that is expensive. I think a lot of medications are regressing. it seems like when an effective drug has an expired patent, it becomes a "dangerous" drug.
Something we can agree on! Yes, and I also think that drug companies push through necessary testing to get dangerous drugs out on the market. Sometimes I feel lucky that I'm in a minority with my disorder and don't have to constantly switch between different 'brands' of my medication. There is one manufacturer, one brand name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 01:47 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
prime example. for the longest time, prozac was known as the happy pill. as soon as the patent expired, you started hearing stories of people committing suicide on it. so they release paxil and zoloft, which are essentially the same drug. they are all SSRI's, but some had fresh patents and were therefore "safe."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Something we can agree on! Yes, and I also think that drug companies push through necessary testing to get dangerous drugs out on the market. Sometimes I feel lucky that I'm in a minority with my disorder and don't have to constantly switch between different 'brands' of my medication. There is one manufacturer, one brand name.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Quote:
ok ok. you are making all kinds of sense now. you think that you are entitled to everything including happiness. not the pursuit of happiness, but happiness itself. good luck with that.
I still have no clue wth you're talking about. Entitled? I pay all my own bills.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
Quote:
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Not everyone chooses poverty, even if their not mentally or physically disabled. There are many that choose to be poor because of welfare, but there are many that don't have the oppurtunity that people who have higher incomes do. Inner city schools tend to not be able to give the students as good an education as if someone went to a school in a neighborhood where students have moderate to high incomes. There may be governmental grants and educational oppurtunities for people with lower incomes although not everyone is able to get those.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I agree that many choose to be poor and many do not choose but endup there because of choice or being from parents that had bad choices thru the family line. Those that choose to be poor are generally lazy and want to party instead of getting a education in school. They often get into drug use and alcohol use that make this a easy choice.Tyhen there are the menatl and physical handcapped peole. They are the one that we should be helping more but we are too busy spending money on the lazy ;drug users and alcoholics. Then looking at poverty we spend 80% of the moeny in cities that only have 20% of the poverty. The 20% of the country that has 80% of poverty gets the remaining 20% because of political power.That isd one rason that poverty as defined by the federasl governamnt includes no assistance by the federal or state government. If it did then many in city would be off thepoverty listing for many programs.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Just wondering---how do you feel about a brilliant musician who receives grants and scholarships to study music, with the expressed objective of being a great experimental classical composer. He thinks of a life dedicated to only music---he simplly doesn't have time or interest in any other worldly pursuits. He assumes he will llive very simply, and is aware that the royalties for experimental classical compositions will be very meager anyway.

Do you think such a person, at the outset, is stealing your hard-earned money from you, because he does not intend to parlay his scholarships into a fortune and use it to buy expensive cars and lavish houses and a covey of trophy women?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Some choose to be lazy, but many are working hard and not making it now. The economic situation is very bad.
Gone are the days you could find a livable wage job with health insurance and benefits. It might not have been a job you preferred, but if you lived in a decent sized city, you didn't have to worry.
Now, you can live a large metropolis and not find a decent livable wage job around.

The OP needs to get out more.
And I say that, kindly.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
If you're paying your bills on time, and not taking handouts from anyone...what does it MATTER if you're "poor"?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 AM

sorry, but I shun left wing propaganda words like "livable wage." if you are alive, you are making a livable wage. this country doesn't really know true poverty. I refuse to feel sorry for someone because they can't afford $100 sneakers. that's not poor. this is the most wasteful country in the world. I get out, I see the real causes of poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Some choose to be lazy, but many are working hard and not making it now. The economic situation is very bad.
Gone are the days you could find a livable wage job with health insurance and benefits. It might not have been a job you preferred, but if you lived in a decent sized city, you didn't have to worry.
Now, you can live a large metropolis and not find a decent livable wage job around.

The OP needs to get out more.
And I say that, kindly.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:27 AM

what does that have to do with anything. are you suggesting this person is accepting welfare from the government to supplement his meager income? in that case, yes. I have a friend who had dedicated his life to music. he makes $60 per hour giving lessons. that's not meager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just wondering---how do you feel about a brilliant musician who receives grants and scholarships to study music, with the expressed objective of being a great experimental classical composer. He thinks of a life dedicated to only music---he simplly doesn't have time or interest in any other worldly pursuits. He assumes he will llive very simply, and is aware that the royalties for experimental classical compositions will be very meager anyway.

Do you think such a person, at the outset, is stealing your hard-earned money from you, because he does not intend to parlay his scholarships into a fortune and use it to buy expensive cars and lavish houses and a covey of trophy women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies