Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

Whatever name you have for a white person is fine by me. I am white, and I have no shame about that. Why would I be offended? I might be confused why anyone would try to offend me since I'm a really nice person, but my feathers would remain unruffled. I would like to think that if I belonged to another ethnic group, I still could not be cut down by being called childish names. I am proud of the way I carry myself and of the people I have chosen to flock with, and I don't think a shift in my pigmentation would change that.

"Honky" is not going to get much of a rise out of me. Now maybe if someone said, "You are white, and that is bad," they might get discussion, at least. I don't agree so I wouldn't be hurt, but I would be interested to hear their point of view.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
I've never been discriminated against--not ONCE--in my life because I'm white, so why do I care what someone calls me? (Not that anyone would ever call me "white trash" or a "cracker" to begin with, because I'm not from a lower socioeconomic class, and I'm not from the south). Names become ugly when they're used to make people seem like "others" and "less than" to justify treating them badly. Since white people have historically had all the power in this country, and they still have all the power, calling them names accomplishes jack squat. It's not a threat--no one has the power to hurt white people institutionally because the institutions are controlled by white people. It's a ridiculous concern.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 PM

418 posts, read 1,090,279 times
How silly---WORDS, remember " sticks & stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me "

Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
deleted

Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've never been discriminated against--not ONCE--in my life because I'm white, so why do I care what someone calls me? (Not that anyone would ever call me "white trash" or a "cracker" to begin with, because I'm not from a lower socioeconomic class, and I'm not from the south).
Names become ugly when they're used to make people seem like "others" and "less than" to justify treating them badly. Since white people have historically had all the power in this country, and they still have all the power, calling them names accomplishes jack squat. It's not a threat--no one has the power to hurt white people institutionally because the institutions are controlled by white people. It's a ridiculous concern.
It's not a ridiculous concern, it's a double standard that you are allowing to occur. You were called a name in which the intent was to insult you based solely on the color of your skin. This is offensive and is on par with being called a ******. The fact that most white people, such as yourself, don't care about being called this name is their business and their business alone. It's actually refreshing to not see people espouse faux-outrage over words to be honest with you.

How do you know you've never been discriminated against because you were white? Did you get accepted to all the colleges you applied for? Did you get offers on all the jobs you applied for?

What does not being from a lower socioeconomic class or the south have anything to do with it? I've been called a cracker and I'm from upper-middle class New Jersey.

If you think it's okay to be called a racial term because you think that no one has the power to hurt white people institutionally because the institutions are controlled by white people (an asinine statement) then you must think its acceptable for black people to rob you or these institutions in response. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I will say that most whites don't care about being called these names, nor should they, but it is a double standard that we choose to allow because it is just words. Perhaps people will get over the term ****** to the point where it will not be used as much anymore?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They won't riot, but they would surely be out there in front of MSNBC with signs, protesting. There's no reason to think blacks would "riot" over the "N" word being used, as evidenced by the fact its used a lot, and riots are exceedingly rare.
Paula Deen begs to differ.

I laugh at the faux-outrage whites feel when they see the term ****** yet won't think twice about being called a cracker. Self loathing and white guilt is a terrible thing.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?

Racist/ Nazi, is probaly the most offensive slur to a white person

Because I don't consider the person saying it on the same level as me. Do you get offended when your dog farts?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?

Racist/ Nazi, is probaly the most offensive slur to a white person
Because they are just names.
Whites have enough self confidence not to get offended.
And that's why you don't see the lawsuits, new criminal offense names, etc.
Being called names doesn't bother the majority of Whites.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
White trash does offend me.... Honky just sounds silly and reminds me of George Jefferson...

Kracker... I don't know... if someone said it to my face I might get more upset, IDK

I went to a school with a lot of black people and the one that pissed me off was when some black dude would call me "white boy".... it was more of how they said it that irked me.....

Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaten_drinker View Post
because i don't consider the person saying it on the same level as me. Do you get offended when your dog farts?
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies