Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; that's all well and good looking at history but this is 2013, NOT 1960.

If you're gonna play "history"; us "Irish" had a WORSE rep and were worth LESS than even Black slaves before the Civil War. Things change.
Comparing the Irish experience with the black one is incomprehensible. No one forced the Irish to come to North America. No one bought and sold the Irish like animals splitting up families routinely. No one could routinely take a child from its mother and give to someone else.

Things do change but history remains. And change came way too slowly. Post Civil War mistreatment of blacks extended well into the 20th century.

History matters to some. That is the point.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Living life with that chip on your shoulder must make life miserable. Carrying a chip on your shoulder is just another way to keep people in chains (anger) and Democrats are playing YOU. Is carrying that chip getting you anywhere?
Chip? Got no chips. I'm very white. I just know what I have seen, read and studied living in the deep south most of my life. I report honestly on what I saw personally and have studied rigorously. I'm neither republican nor democrat (pox on both).

I do see another point of view though and have some understanding of why so many blacks feel and believe the way they do.

I'd hope that some here would read some black history and then make up your mind. There are good, authentic books out there.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
In some places the term "cracker' has a different meaning. It's short for coal cracker, and there's certainly no shame in that

About Coal Crackers

I don't think a black person using the term knows that. It is time to take some words back!

porch monkey speech from clerks 2 - YouTube

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Comparing the Irish experience with the black one is incomprehensible. No one forced the Irish to come to North America. No one bought and sold the Irish like animals splitting up families routinely. No one could routinely take a child from its mother and give to someone else.

Things do change but history remains. And change came way too slowly. Post Civil War mistreatment of blacks extended well into the 20th century.

Well; things in the US AIN'T that bad for Black people since if they were, they'd LEAVE and go to some place like Liberia. Remember; Blacks in 2013 here are now free men and women.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
It seems some are just race-baiting and don't actually have anything to back up what they say!

If they did, they'd go point to point instead of making blanket statements.

Oh well, the law of attraction must be giving them exactly what they see...

Too bad they cannot just enjoy what they have...they need some sort of revenge for crimes not committed upon them from people whom have never committed those crimes.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?
Because we know the name caller has an IQ of 80 and we find it humorous. Oh yeah, and, the comedian is trying to make a buck off them.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Comparing the Irish experience with the black one is incomprehensible. IS IT? No one forced the Irish to come to North America. Oh REALLY? No one bought and sold the Irish like animals splitting up families routinely. Oh REALLY? No one could routinely take a child from its mother and give to someone else. Oh REALLY?

Dare to compare!

The Irish Slave Trade

"It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts."

Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Because I don't care what people call me. I'm not that thinned skinned.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I cant say I have ever been called any of these names but if I was I think id find it funny. I dont let things bother me, in fact, id probably come up with something sarcastic to say back to them.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?

Racist/ Nazi, is probaly the most offensive slur to a white person
Because they don't have the same history of discrimination or of being treated poorly. If their ancestors had been slaves for hundreds of years and after that second class citizens up til the 1960's then it would be very different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies