Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
This is breathtakingly racist. You have a perverse view of history. History means something to people. The Jews come to mind. There was a time not long ago when black people traveling from north to Florida had no place to overnight on the trip nor even a restaurant they could go into for a bite to eat. Blacks were turned away from hospitals meant only for whites and some died as a result. If that had happened to my ancestors, I'd have a major case of anger still. You amaze me but then you also have a lot of company. Just 2 days ago, I saw a copy of a receipt for the sale of a 20 year old female slave just as if you were buying a mule. You think that doesn't stick in memories? I guess you don't. History matters whether you like it or not. For goodness sakes, Nazi POWs housed in this country were treated better and with more respect than black citizens. Give me a break.
History and humanity is full of mistakes, and usually things change for the better. The Jewish community is slowly moving on, along with the Japanese, who both saw devastation not too long ago. You can't hold a grudge forever. Many of todays generation had nothing to do with the toils your ancestors went through. We sympathize, but don't point the finger at those that had nothing to do with the past.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Quote:
Chip? Got no chips. I'm very white. I just know what I have seen, read and studied living in the deep south most of my life. I report honestly on what I saw personally and have studied rigorously. I'm neither republican nor democrat (pox on both).

I do see another point of view though and have some understanding of why so many blacks feel and believe the way they do.

I'd hope that some here would read some black history and then make up your mind. There are good, authentic books out there.
As far as I am concerned, anyone still hung up on oppression from the 60s is a coward: afraid to venture into the deep-end and swim on their own, using history as their excuse. Fear is very understandable, but fear based on someone else's experience is not.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Dare to compare!

The Irish Slave Trade

"It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts."
The Irish had a rough go for a bit in this country. No doubt. That changed and rapidly in comparison to black Americans who were here long before the Irish. The Irish experienced equal opportunity long before black people and the ugly facts are, blacks are still discriminated against which studies have demonstrated. They have been hit harder in this "recession" than other groups. In WW II in Mobile, AL shipyards where all labor was needed, they were beat up and assaulted when they were asked to train as more skilled laborers. There was a segregated shipyard for goodness sakes. I don't think the Irish had a similar experience in WW II which is not that long ago. Of course Ireland sat out that war. Only the American Indian has a comparable experience to black Americans and at least they were not bought and sold like cattle.

And once again, history does matter. I believe it was you who made the complaint that a black man in the same course as you got a benefit denied to you. That is part of your history and it affects your thinking today.

We all have a history that affects us as groups or as individuals. I know plenty of southerners who still resent losing the Civil War. But please don't posit the idea that somehow blacks have it going well for them. We are suffering the effects of centuries of mistreatment. Blame who or what you will but the results stand.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
I don't like name calling pertaining to anyones race.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
We are suffering the effects of centuries of mistreatment. Blame who or what you will but the results stand.
Are we now suffering the effects of centuries of mistreatment or the effects of decades of nipple suckling?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM

524 posts, read 400,336 times
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt
ain't that the truth

Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 PM

524 posts, read 400,336 times
You have to give someone the power to make you feel like you are lesser of a person than they, they cannot take it from you. This is what I do not understand about the slave mentality, it is most defiantly self-inflicted and if a person wanted to, they can change their mentality and how they perceive actions against and toward them. Just because someone doesn't like a political/social/education view that you have does not make them racist. Just because someone does not have the same viewpoint as another does not make them prejudice. People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions and outcome of their life. Get rid of all stereotypes. I am white and guess what? I grew up poor and in an abusive drug addicted household. When I joined the military, all minorities assumed I grew up with a silver-spoon in my mouth when in reality the majority of them grew up in circumstances much better than I. Once they found out that their assumptions about me were completely wrong boy were they eating crow!

Last edited by lowrimol; 02-27-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
The Irish had a rough go for a bit in this country. No doubt. That changed and rapidly in comparison to black Americans who were here long before the Irish. The Irish experienced equal opportunity long before black people and the ugly facts are, blacks are still discriminated against which studies have demonstrated. They have been hit harder in this "recession" than other groups. In WW II in Mobile, AL shipyards where all labor was needed, they were beat up and assaulted when they were asked to train as more skilled laborers. There was a segregated shipyard for goodness sakes. I don't think the Irish had a similar experience in WW II which is not that long ago. Of course Ireland sat out that war. Only the American Indian has a comparable experience to black Americans and at least they were not bought and sold like cattle.

And once again, history does matter. I believe it was you who made the complaint that a black man in the same course as you got a benefit denied to you. That is part of your history and it affects your thinking today.

We all have a history that affects us as groups or as individuals. I know plenty of southerners who still resent losing the Civil War. But please don't posit the idea that somehow blacks have it going well for them. We are suffering the effects of centuries of mistreatment. Blame who or what you will but the results stand.
Ok so you claim this is true. Is complaining getting you anywhere? How long do you expect to complain and continue to get more of the same. As a previous poster said before, many had lived with discrimination and yet they moved through despite it. The difference is they didn't hang on to the excuse.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,484,501 times
Meh...this conversation is going nowhere... Some people just refuse to be responsible for themselves, they're weak and just want to blame others for their lack of success!

So all they have is trying to annoy people with childish name-calling. ...and even that bothers them when they can't get a reaction!

Sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies