Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
We no longer live in Biblical times where incestuous marriages/relationships were condoned. For example, Abraham married his sister Sarah.
Homosexual unions where almost unheard of in Abraham and Sarah Era of the Bible , and "Brothers and Sisters" marriages where allowed.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM

156 posts, read 133,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
Gay marriage isn't a civil rights issue. It's a moral issue. Just like we don't allow brothers and sisters to marry, we shouldn't allow the same sex to marry.
Here's your answer
Attached Thumbnails
Gay marriage isn't about civil rights-nutz.jpg  

Old 06-18-2009, 07:15 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Gay marriage isn't a civil rights issue. It's a moral issue. Just like we don't allow brothers and sisters to marry, we shouldn't allow the same sex to marry.
You're partially correct, as it is your moral issue, and your opinion. The problem with that, is one size does not fit all, and your opinion is not the rule that we must all live by. It is only the rule that you must live by. Tough concept for you people I know.

In this case you are trying to force your opinion on another group of people, proclaiming that they are morally insufficient and therefore should be denied the same civil liberties because of it. Which is wrong and anti-American.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 4,729 times
Gay rights are civil rights, just like civil rights for minorities. Many gay and lesbians worked diligently for blacks during the civil rights era, but the favor has yet to be returned. I see more hatred, bigotry, and intolerance from blacks than any other minority, and it's shameful. One day everyone will be treated equally, for that is what a democracy is predicated upon. When that day comes, there will be no need for inane blogs like this questioning the legitimacy of civl rights for Gay, Lesbian, and Transgendered Americans. Perhaps if every Gay person stopped paying taxes, then they would have their rights tomorrow. No rights = no taxes. To hell with your twisted version of morality which is predicated on antiquated fairy tales perpetuated by mind controlling religion.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 4,729 times
Maybe blacks should not have the same rights as everyone else. It is a "moral" question after all. That's the kind of rot that was spewed in prior to civil rights. Now the same bigotry and hatred is used to attack Gay tax paying Americans. Keep your filthy bible, filtered morality, and hatred as far from me as possible, and we will all get along a lot better. This is a democracy after all.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc1 View Post
Gay rights are civil rights, just like civil rights for minorities. Many gay and lesbians worked diligently for blacks during the civil rights era, but the favor has yet to be returned. I see more hatred, bigotry, and intolerance from blacks than any other minority, and it's shameful. One day everyone will be treated equally, for that is what a democracy is predicated upon. When that day comes, there will be no need for inane blogs like this questioning the legitimacy of civl rights for Gay, Lesbian, and Transgendered Americans. Perhaps if every Gay person stopped paying taxes, then they would have their rights tomorrow. No rights = no taxes. To hell with your twisted version of morality which is predicated on antiquated fairy tales perpetuated by mind controlling religion.
I don't get your point I'm a African-American who supported Domestic Partnerships for Homosexual which gave Homosexuals the same "Civil Rights " as Homosexual Marriage would've. Where is all of this hatred coming from?......can you be treated equally with Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions ?.....Homosexual Marriage doesn't have anymore " Rights " than Domestic Partnerships or Civil Union does it ?....

Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Ummm, I disagree.
Don't want to marry a gay person, fine.
No one is forcing you.

It's completely about civil rights.
Your morals apparently aren't very moral.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM

63 posts, read 119,882 times
Quote:
Rubbish!
The issue with close relations having sex with eachother is the very high probability of any offspring produced having genetic diseases. There is a VERY good reason why this is not acceptable and it has nothing to do with morals.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 AM

63 posts, read 119,882 times
In my opinion this boils down to one thing. It is the state meddling in people's private lives and telling them what they can and cannot do in an otherwise private mutually consentual relationship.

Just because I don't like eating beef, does this mean I should be able to order other people not to eat beef? No! Just because YOU don't agree with gay marriage doesn't mean you can force YOUR beliefs on others.

I'm an atheist myself and it infuriates me how religion is constantly forced onto others, including myself, when I don't believe in it and have no interest in it! Please keep your religious beliefs to yourself thanks very much!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I don't get your point I'm a African-American who supported Domestic Partnerships for Homosexual which gave Homosexuals the same "Civil Rights " as Homosexual Marriage would've. Where is all of this hatred coming from?......can you be treated equally with Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions ?.....Homosexual Marriage doesn't have anymore " Rights " than Domestic Partnerships or Civil Union does it ?....
As long as DOMA is on the books, homosexuals, no matter how they are coupled, will always have fewer rights than heterosexual couples. Most of the rights of marriage come from the federal government - some 1,100. DOMA says that gay couples - no matter if they've just been living together for 20 years in Alaska, married in a church in Alabama, in a legal civil union in New Jersey, or legally married in Iowa - can never have those 1,100 rights. Never ever.

Also, do you not find the concept of separate but equal abhorrent? Why we would we create a singular legal concept in the law that confers to couples who take advantage of it a collection or rights, but then give it different names for different couples based solely on the classification of the people getting it? Why stop at the heterosexual / homosexual divide. Why not "civil marriages" for heterosexuals, "civil unions" for homosexuals", "holy civil marriages" for Christians, "civil cohabitatioins" for atheists, "civil shackingups" for blacks, "civil mixings" for interracial and interfaith couples, etc, etc, etc?

Last edited by hammertime33; 10-20-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.