Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:04 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a huge proponent of gay rights, but this ruling is dumb. I've always known eHarmony hasn't allowed gay ads. I've not used their service for that reason (the other reason being I don't like online dating services anyway). It's the same reason I don't go to a website that only sells hats when I'm shopping for a sweater. Wow, bad analogy, but you get my point. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Even I think this is lousy....
kudos to you. this is ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapeaum67 View Post
It is amazing and disappointing but not surprising that in our society still are many blind,unloving humane beings whose unjust opinions and ideas can discriminate with harsh,violent actions to the gay community.
err... how does not offering a gay dating service constitute a 'harsh, violent action'?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The key word is they AGREED. Nobody forced them to do a thing. They chose to switch rather than fight.
Okay, they were FORCED to AGREE. The threat of legal action and the enormous cost to fight it left them with no choice. I'd hardly say they are simply agreeing to allow the ads.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The key word is they AGREED. Nobody forced them to do a thing. They chose to switch rather than fight.
did you miss the part involving a lawsuit? lawsuits are expensive, and there's no guarantee of a win. even if they were to win, they've got lawyers to pay.

the key word is FORCED.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:21 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
It's always sad when a few spoil it for the many. I'm sure there are more homosexuals out there who want to live their lives quietly and want to be left alone. This attracts more negative publicity in an already controversial issue.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If a business offers a service to the general public it accepts the responsibility for providing the service to ALL of the public. Gay people are part of the public with all the rights and responsibilities of any citizen. If the dating service does not want to serve ALL of the public they can go out of business.

This was a good and reasonable ruling.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Hmm, well there is a Presbyterian church just down the road...maybe I'll sue them them and force them to adopt my religious beliefs. I mean, they are discriminating against me.

How tragic that the homos use religious tolerance as an example of the "rights" they should be afforded, but would never dream that the above example is correct. Tolerance is one thing; they want more.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This was a good and reasonable ruling.
If you're a homo or liberal who thinks this way it might be.

If you are a Christian-based, conservative business who has just caved into the PC-left out of financial necessity, its a bad one. The vocal minority just forced group R to adopt the value-system of group H. How ironic that group R is chastised and ridiculed if they attempt to force their value system on group H.

Another political double-standard: Homosexuals.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Here in Boston, some idiot male attorney sued "Healthworks for Women" because it was discriminating against men, since it was only a health club for women.

He could have gone to ANY other gym, but he was just trying to make a point, since he was a lawyer. Everyone thought he was a jerk. I doubt he ever even WENT to Healthworks.

In this case, again, someone was trying to make a point that it's discrimination, even if they didn't want to use the service. As a gay person, I wouldn't want to use the service if there was hostility toward gays. If they really didn't want to serve gays, I'd go to a gay service.

No one can have their own group anymore, whether it's all heterosexuals, all men, all women, all gays, etc. because it will be called discrimination, even if it makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies